Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Customising Tops for a Costume
By Katie_x
On Tue Jan 18, 2011 08:53 AM
Edited by Katie_x (165919) on 2011-01-18 08:58:23 Added info.

So we are having to make our outfits for our dance team at cheer this year. For the top half we want black tops customised with certain words which represent the theme. The words must be in gold.

What would be the best thing to write/put these words on with? One really important part is that it is nothing that could potentially fall off (things like sequins would be okay though), and we can't use safety pins etc so it must either be sewed, glued or painted on.

So far we've considered:
-sequins on a string - however I've done this before and I think it's more hassle than it's worth.
-fabric paint - do you think this would stand out enough?
-gold tape - if we can find some.

Does anyone have ANY ideas? Or opinions on any of these?
As an extra note, we are making over 20 of these tops, so we'd appreciate it not being too tricky or time consuming.

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT* It's also important that we're able to wash them and then use them for further comps, so something that can go through a wash.

3 Replies to Customising Tops for a Costume

re: Customising Tops for a Costume
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 18, 2011 09:17 AM
You really only have two options if you want it to look decent. Either buy applique letters from a craft store and sew them on OR silkscreen the tops. Personally, I'd go with silkscreening because it's cheap and easy. You can buy a kit at any craft store, and you can print all 20 shirts in one afternoon. If you just paint the shirts with a brush, you will never get the lettering to look professional.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 08:24 PM
Edited by SoloJazzDancer (98263) on 2011-02-06 20:25:31 Wanted to say something else.
I like fabric paint and you can get gold. You can buy letter stamps and do it that way. You can buy fabric ink and heat set it and it's washable. Fabric paint is the same way. There is also fabric glue that you can use if you used sequins that is washable. It's made by Aleens. Good luck w/whatever you decide to do.
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 09:21 PM
Do you really want it to glitter a lot? Or is a matt gold fine as well?

In case you really want it to glitter I´d suggest to create a screen out of plastic (no paper because it will become wavy when it becomes a bit wet) that leave out the letters. Place the screen on the shirt and spray the shirts with a glitter gold spray.

At least some very glittery sprays do not last in washing machine (they won´t wash out completly either, so the shirt is quite ruined afterwards...), so the result wouldn´t be washable.

I mostly like Panic´s silkscreen idea though.

ReplySendWatch