Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Bobbin Lace?
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:36 AM

Can anyone on here make bobbin lace? I saw it being done on a television show - Lark Rise to Candleford (UK) to be precise - and I thought it was amazing. I really want to have a go at it but there are no lace making groups or classes in my area. I'm gonna get a cheap(ish) starter kit and give it a go was just wondering if anyone else is interested in this?

Ballet_Baibe

3 Replies to Bobbin Lace?

re: Bobbin Lace?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 22, 2011 02:01 PM
It's fascinating to watch someone do it, and the finished product is incredible. But it looks CRAZY tedious. One of my friends is just starting to learn, and she enjoys it so far. Some of the older women in my family do other kinds of lacemaking - shuttle, loom, knitting & crochet. Of all these methods, bobbin lacemaking looks by FAR the least portable. My aunt carries her shuttle everywhere, and she can knock out a lace panel while she's waiting in line at the grocery store - you obviously can't do that with bobbins.

I'm interested to hear how your project goes. Keep us posted, and good luck!!
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 22, 2011 05:09 PM
I love the idea of your aunt just knocking out some lace while waiting, I think it's incredibly important to keep all of these traditional arts alive and hope one day (Providing I master it) to be able to pass on the skill to my children as it would have been in much older times. I will let you know how things go and hopefully have some photos.
By PowerPointe
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 AM
I do bobbin lace a little bit, although I don't do the advanced patterns... panic is right, it is tedious at times and not very portable at all. That being said, I think it's still a lot of fun, and it's definitely a good "spectator sport" if you do it in public :D Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

ReplySendWatch