Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

What to do with short hair
By jmdmam
On Thu Jan 27, 2011 09:13 AM

Hello ladies! I am hoping that you might be able to provide some guidance on what are acceptable hair-dos for people with hair that is too short to put into a bun (like mine!). It is long enough to pull the top to the back but the back is too short to stay up, even with bobby pins.

Thanks! Jen

13 Replies to What to do with short hair

re: What to do with short hair
By TamrasMom
On Thu Jan 27, 2011 09:37 AM
Can you put your hair into a french braid? Two of the girls in our adult class have very short hair that doesn't go into a bun. They simply use gel to glue their hair down. I've seen a small pony tail or half-pony at the back with hair
gelled down as well.
By JustDancing4Fun
On Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:04 AM
Pretty much if its pulled back and away from your face, it's good. Alot of my students, and myself just pull it back into a half ponytail. Hairspraying it down alot too! If you're competing, you can also ask your teacher.
By seannettaPremium member
On Thu Jan 27, 2011 05:54 PM
I have hair that can't even be pinned up -- I simply slick it back with gel and use bobby pins at the sides to keep it tucked behind my ears. Just so it's not flopping around.
By highland3393
On Thu Jan 27, 2011 06:30 PM
A girl at my studio does something similar to what seannetta said, but hers is French braided a bit down each side and bobby pinned behind her ears.
By Ceilidh_DancePremium member
On Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 AM
Don't be too concerned with your hair. If it's too short to put in a bun or to put back in a pony tail, don't stress yourself out. If I'm judging you, your hair would have to be pretty annoying and distracting before it would affect your results (for example - swinging in front of your face to the beat of the music, forcing me to watch your swinging hair rather than your feet).

Just wear it in your usual style. perhaps securing the front a little bit so it doesn't fall in your face.
By LoriCook
On Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:43 PM
I slick mine back with hairspray into a small ponytail and slap a fake bun on top of it. Looks pretty good and makes a bigger bun than I would have with my natural hair anyway! The one I use is a braided dome bun.
By jmdmam
On Fri Jan 28, 2011 06:07 PM
Thanks for your help ladies! I knew you'd come through for me! (Although maybe hair swinging in front of my face would be a good way to distract the judge from looking at my mistakes!:) I'm going to try to do the french braids down the sides with a 1/2 ponytail at the back...we'll see how it goes! The thought of slapping a bun on my head brought up funny images in my head, being married to a former artisinal bread baker! LOL! Have a great weekend and happy dancing!
By LoriCook
On Sat Jan 29, 2011 01:41 AM
Nothing like a hot cross bun to make your fling look better!
By rosalinde
On Sun Mar 13, 2011 04:44 AM
I've used a plain black velvet (I have dark brown hair) alice band in the past. I used hair spray to slick it back (gel would be too 'wet-look') and then wore an alice band to keep it out of my face during dancing. This worked really well (I used a bobby pin sewn to the band to keep it from sliding out of my hair, little trick I learnt from Irish Dance).
By neojupiter
On Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:06 PM
I have an adult dancer that has really short hair ( to short to pull back into a pony-tail even.. ) she has a fake bun, then gells her hair back into one direction into the middle of her head and then pins the fake bun to her hair. it looks real to me and from stage you cant tell its a fake bun. :)

just another idea if you really want the bun look!
By their_best_fan
On Tue Apr 05, 2011 01:30 PM
My daughter has donated her hair twice since she started dancing, so it was shoulder length. We wet it down and pull it up in a high ponytail with flip clip type pins the night before. That makes it easier to put up in the morning because you start it going UP. In the morning we put gel in the hair and again use the flip clips. Then we use a fake hair piece with the stubby ponytail and put a hairnet over the top with bun pins. It makes a really nice thick bun.
By luvjeter2
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:58 AM
Both of my daughters have shoulder length hair because they too donated 10" of their hair. I do 2 french braids with just half their hair and then tie the 2 braids together in the back. It works great!
By Plaidcrazy
On Tue May 31, 2011 07:24 PM
My daughters hair is very long, so I'm lucky to have a lot to work with. I've seen other dancers with short hair in cute french braids. Looks very nice!

ReplySendWatch