Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Thinking about it.
By bree_dancer
On Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:59 PM

Hello! I am 22 years old and have not competed in about 8 years. I would like to get back into competitions and I was wondering if I am able to. Do I start back at Beginner since I have not competed in so long? I am in Ontario and I was wondering if there are any other adults that compete and could fill me in. Is there an actual adult category at competitions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

23 Replies to Thinking about it.

re: Thinking about it.
By meagid
On Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:43 PM
Hey, if you want to start competing again that's great! You will have to start back at the same level you were when you stopped... so if you were in Premier then you will need to enter premier again.

Hope that helps!
By MollyMac
On Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:00 AM
Hey Bree- just do it!

You'll be back in premier as that is where you left off. As far as adult categories, unless it is a championship (with an 18 and over category)- it can be hit and miss. Sometimes, there are a large number of us asterik dancers (an asteril is used unstead of our... formidable ages) and you get lucky and dance against someone closer to your age. This is not always the case- but it is rare for there to not be at least an 18 and over category at most competitions.

Best of luck!
By bree_dancer
On Sat Jan 29, 2011 08:52 PM
Thanks so much for your input and help :) One more question...does anyone know if I can get a competition card if I'm not affiliated with a dance school?
By emmyport
On Sun Jan 30, 2011 06:12 AM
bree_dancer wrote:

...does anyone know if I can get a competition card if I'm not affiliated with a dance school?

You do not need to be affiliated with a dance school to register to compete, but you must be "sponsored" by a teacher who is certified by BATD, SDTA, or UKA. You can self-sponsor if you are a member of one of these organizations (that's what I do). Hope that helps :)
By zig
On Sun Jan 30, 2011 08:49 AM
Do it! I had to stop dancing/competing for 6 years due to academics and work, and after I started up again it feels like I never left!
By bree_dancer
On Sun Jan 30, 2011 03:14 PM
Hmmm. I just don't live where my old teacher is anymore and there are no dance schools/ teachers around so I guess I will need to start looking around.
By Shackmom
On Sun Jan 30, 2011 07:29 PM
I say Go for it! Don't wait! Before you know it you will be married, kids and then just too tired. Time flies by. You don't want to get a few years down the road and wish you had done it. Stick with it and good luck to you!
By Gall_Dannsair
On Wed Feb 02, 2011 03:01 PM
COME ON....get your butt into it again. I returned a few years ago and I'm 42....and kicking some 14 year old girls butt with winning!
By bree_dancer
On Wed Feb 02, 2011 03:04 PM
haha thats great! I am just looking to get myself outfitted again and trying to find a teacher to sign for my card :P Hopefully I can get out this summer!
By bree_dancer
On Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:01 PM
Are there any other women here that are competing this summer in Ontario? If so, which ones do you usually attend?
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:00 AM
Kingston Celtfest (May)
Cobourg (June)
Almonte (August)
Arnprior (August)
Kingston (November)

But I am still only Novice

Catherine
By bree_dancer
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 09:09 PM
Cool :) I will probably be competing in Novice as well. I finished my novice card many years ago but I never upgraded so I think I will have to do novice again.
By Ceilidh_DancePremium member
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 04:28 PM
Hi bree

That means you will start in Intermediate. You completed your novice stamps and it has been more than 6 months since the date of your first stamp.
By bree_dancer
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 07:06 PM
Even if I don't have the card anymore? I wouldn't mind being in Intermediate though cause I know that novice is too easy for me.
By jmdmam
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 07:39 PM
Bree, where do you live? Perhaps someone here can direct you to a teacher. I'm in Toronto and have a great teacher (one of the few here) You may find that teachers will require you to take lessons with their studio in order for them to sponsor you. It's not a matter of a money grab, it's their name and reputation that's on the line if they sponsor your card and I'm sure that most teachers would require some sort of commitment from you in return.
By bree_dancer
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 07:47 PM
I completely understand. I am looking for someone within an hour or so. I can do a couple of private lessons a month because of travelling. I'm looking into Barrie but would be willing to travel to Toronto maybe twice a month since it is 2 hrs away.
By Ceilidh_DancePremium member
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 08:00 PM
Edited by Ceilidh_Dance (109259) on 2011-02-07 20:07:17
Edited by Ceilidh_Dance (109259) on 2011-02-07 20:11:48
Yes, Bree. Even if you don't have the card anymore. It's still an honour system in cases like this. If you have already done your time in novice, you belong in Intermediate.

Regarding getting the card, You are obviously in Ontario so you will have to register with ScotDance Ontario. You will not be able to even access the registration forms unless you have a teacher who is either a judge or a member in good standing of one of the examining bodies and a professional member of Scotdance. Until teachers complete their annual membership, the new registration forms aren't sent out and the teacher's registration number is held back.

So, in short, unless you have a teacher who is a professional member of Scotdance Canada or hold your members yourself (in which case you would be in premier) you will not be able to compete. The registration process has been tightened over the past couple of years.

By bree_dancer
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 09:07 PM
Thanks so much! Now my answer has really been clearly answered. I will start looking into finding someone who will be willing to do a certain # of private lessons to allow me to compete. May mean I will have to travel a bit but thats ok. My goal for this year is to do something for myself and getting back into Highland is just that. So I will make sure it all works out :) Thanks for all your help!
By bree_dancer
On Sun Feb 27, 2011 07:14 PM
A little update :)
I have found a teacher that I will be going to probably every other week for competition classes. I got a kilt and I have a national outfit ready too. Hose are ordered so I should be ready to go come summer. Are any of you other adults competing at the Muskoka competition or the Haliburton comp?
By Skyesbridge
On Sun Feb 27, 2011 07:34 PM
I'm going to Haliburton, but I'm only in Beginner... but it's nice to see other "older" dancers regardless. ;)
By bree_dancer
On Sun Feb 27, 2011 07:37 PM
Thats great! When I was really young my mom and I both competed at Haliburton and both ended up winning the trophy. It will be nice to not be the only adult competing :)
By Charl1emember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 27, 2011 08:20 PM
Woohoo! I just did the same thing last year :D I stopped about 6 years ago (I am 22) and when I made a big move to the other side of the country I thought "why not" :D It is definitely worth while! The studio I joined is so friendly and thankfully were very forgiving for my lack of memory for a lot of the steps :)

You definitely start back in the same level which isn't so scary as you will find that a lot of the technique you still remember.

Have fun!!!

Bina xox
By bree_dancer
On Sun Mar 13, 2011 09:01 PM
I am really excited to get back into competitions. I joined a studio and had my first class this past thursday. I haven't been able to walk since haha. I ordered a jacket for my new kilt so all I need now is a jig skirt :) I signed my papers so all I need now are pictures for my card :) YAY!

ReplySendWatch