Poll: Ballet / Ballet - General

Which Leotard should I wear for an audition? en>fr fr>en
By Ballerina_Nicole Comments: 230, member since Mon Sep 28, 2009
On Mon Jan 31, 2011 02:40 PM

Ainsliewear:

www.ainsliewear.com . . .

Vala:

valadancewear.com . . .

Which do you think I should wear? Also would you wear a black leotard because they say to wear a dark leotard. Thanks

14 Replies to Which Leotard should I wear for an audition?

re: Which Leotard should I wear for an audition? en>fr fr>en
By angelbaby233 Comments: 76, member since Sun Jun 27, 2010
On Mon Jan 31, 2011 09:13 PM
Personally I like the first one, the square neck one better,
but, which one do you feel makes you look good, you can dance well in, and you won’t be tempted to pick and pull at it during auditions (like the straps will stay put, and it doesn't ride up the backside to make your butt hang out {at both I've gone to so far there have been girls with their butts hanging out and it’s not attractive!), so put them on and move around in them and see which feels and looks better on you, because they may look completely different on the models then they do on you because of the rage of body types people have.
By Dance4evaa Comments: 158, member since Wed Nov 25, 2009
On Mon Jan 31, 2011 09:57 PM
i like the first one- its more of a classic leotard

Good Luck for your audition
By hummingbird Comments: 8370, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 PM
You don't say what the audition is for, this could make a difference to the answers you get.
On Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:33 PM
professional ballet school
By dancinislife0607member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1422, member since Sun Apr 16, 2006
On Tue Feb 01, 2011 04:58 AM
I voted for the second one, but truly, you should wear whichever one makes you the most comfortable. Angelbaby really said it all--you need to wear one that you can dance in that you won't mess with the whole audition. And as per your last question, yes. Black is always safest. Since they say "dark" and not "black," you could get away with navy, hunter green, plum, maroon, or something along those lines, but I think black is always best
On Tue Feb 01, 2011 05:39 PM
I have another leotard to add to the poll:

Gaynor Minden Straps Leotard in burgundy
dancer.com . . .
re: Which Leotard should I wear for an audition? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3519, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Feb 01, 2011 09:24 PM
It depends entirely on what would look better on YOU.

I know which one I, as an individual, would have to choose. It would be the Valadancewear "Bombshell", the description of which says, "If you have a larger bust, Bombshell" is a good option. If you feel more comfortable dancing in a bra, this style is excellent for covering up bra lines". Well, I'm not at all fat (actually on the low end of normal weight for my height) but do have a Dolly-Parton hourglass figure and need a bra. It has cap sleeves which I look better in. Also, I have very short arms and legs; so look better in a somewhat higher legline. This leotard would make the most of my OK but definitely non-ballet body.

I also like the "Gaynor Minden Straps" suggested by Ballerina_Nicole, even though it doesn't have as high a leg line. The ballet leg line looks more "serious". And it could be interesting worn with a good sports bra (which I would need). I, personally, would get it in black.

As for the ainsliewear.com Square Neck leotard I love it, just love it, but could not wear it with my body. I think the empire line and detailing are designed to make the most of the sleeker body of someone who does NOT have an hourglass figure and does not need a bra (or not much of one). It is elegant and sophisticated and stylish without being show-offy. It is definitely the one I would choose if only I had the body for it.
By roomx7609 Comments: 230, member since Fri Apr 17, 2009
On Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 PM
Definitely prefer the Bombshell. Think about how many people have leotards similar to the first that they will be wearing to the audition...
The Bombshell is very sophisticated, understated, but still very unique in an audition.
Good luck.
By slnicholas Comments: 36, member since Tue Nov 02, 2010
On Wed Feb 02, 2011 05:04 PM
The bombshell definitely, it elongates the leg line more. And the first is very typical and wont draw much attention to you.
By ex_gang_girl Comments: 394, member since Sun Jan 17, 2010
On Thu Feb 03, 2011 08:21 AM
Both look OK to me, but I'm certainly no exppert on how to dress for an audition.
By Iamalittlefishie Comments: 688, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:39 PM
The gaynor minden one you posted is very low-cut, at least on the few people I've known to have one. They didn't feel very comfortable in it, so I would suggest trying it on/dancing a bit in it before you buy it for an audition.

I would wear the first one because I don't like sleeves on leotards, but that's just me.
By mileseez135 Comments: 203, member since Sat Feb 05, 2011
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 05:35 AM
I really like the Vala Bombshell. Does anyone know why the Vala leotards don't seem to be available in many of the sizes on their web site? I'm wondering if they're out-of-stock or waiting for another shipment. Or maybe they won't be getting more????
By flyingwind66member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 382, member since Wed Mar 14, 2007
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 05:40 PM
Hey the first one is my uniform! I also do believe those are the ones used at the pre-pro boarding ballet school in Toronto... I'd go for the first one (probably because I'm biased lol)

The second one still looks good though, as others have said, wear what makes you feel comfortable. Are you likely to be uncomfortable if you are the only one wearing a capped sleeve leotard? I know I would be... but I would never feel uncomfortable being the only one more 'professionally' dressed.
By giselle45 Comments: 20, member since Mon Jun 06, 2011
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 01:44 PM
I would say the more sophisticated the better especially when auditioning for hard line schools. The more professional you look the better chance you have of them paying attention to you. Judges pretty much rule out about 50% of the class when you walk through the door. First impressions are everything.

ReplySendWatch