Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 15 of 15: 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 13 14 15
re: Preliminary Ambitions (Irish Dance)
By irishfeislovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 01, 2012 04:50 PM
yeah, Id be allowed to...I did it sometimes last year as well.

I was actually going to stay in prizewinner until the end of the year anyways, even if I was going to oireachtas ( since you dont have to be prelim in my region to go).

And I do know it will do me good in the long run. There is only three-four more feisanna I can get to this year....and I am thinking I will only get to do 3 of those. I could hypothetically go to mini-feis at oireachtas so I could still go with everybody lol but I have a feeling my mom would not be so keen on paying for that after we have just been in europe. and going might just depress me more because unlike last year, I could have had the option of dancing. Meh.

I think I am going to do for each dance:

Reel- New leadaround possibly if I really drill it in time, and the same second step

Slip Jig- New leadaround with the switch, I have to keep to old second step because I only know a half step of the other one...I could technically teach myself the half step on the left as well though...

Treble Jig- Same lead and new second step

Hornpipe - Just my good old 1.5 yr old hornpipe
On Sun Jul 01, 2012 04:57 PM
Oh, also, a general life post

Since, I am not going to the oireachtas, Im taking 8 courses this year instead of 7. If I was going I was just going to do three courses in the fall.

So I am taking:

Term 1

Womens Studies- Canadian Women 1600-1920 ( I took the 1920-present course last term)

History of Late Medieval Europe 1000-1400 ( a third yr course when Im in second year)

History of Europe ( this goes all year round)

Anthropology of Health and Illness in Culture ( I wanted to take this class in the summer, but it got cancelled so I took general anthropology....and hey, I need some electives...)

Term 2:

History of Europe continued from term 1

Ancient Rome

Ancient Egypt ( 3rd yr level)

Ancient Egyptian Religion ( 3rd yr level)

Yeah, so I am taking 3 third year courses. Im probablly going to do horribly in them, but maybe I can convince myself to work harder this year. I reallly want to do them though because they sound so interesting and in near eastern studies ( ancient egypt classes) there are no 200-level courses, only 100 and 300, so...whatever

Maybe some more hard work will be involved...but oh well!
On Sun Jul 08, 2012 03:48 AM
so i am going to the dance for life feis in two weeks, and holy smokes, these are the biggest competition numbers ive ever faced.
I know in some regions these numbers are the norm, but not where I come from. Im glad I technically am already qualified for prelim and are just doing these feisanna for good practice.

29-reel, 20-light jig, 15-single jig, 26-slip jig, 27- treble jig, 28-hornpipe, and 26-traditional set.

well, this should be fun.

ive been in a haze and busy and havent been practicing as much aS i should, but I hope I can get some decent placements because we are travelling down there just for the feis.
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 05:38 PM
so since ive had ballet experience, my teacher has commisioned me to think up some ballet barre work that will contribute to irish to help strengthen us. Im going to be useless at this. I havent done ballet since I was 11. All I can think of are pointing, releves, pointing and releve combinations, battements and grande battements. besides that I have no idea......
By irish_dancer6Premium member
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 06:02 PM
Diary stalker here... also try plies, and grande plies(especially in second)they will help with your quads, hamstrings, and turn out. We do them all the time. If you do a few grande plies, then hold as low as you can go, then do demi plies from that position, you really get a great work out! and don't forget to stretch.
On Wed Jul 11, 2012 08:00 AM
thank you!

I really need to get 1.5 hrs done of practice tommrrow. I have only been getting like 30 mins a day lately. I think its because my head is going crazy trying to pack for europe. as well I am going away with my friends to a resort this weekend (kinda as a pre-19th-bday celebration for my friend)so everything is just crazy and a mess tmmrw. There is a gym at the resort though, so I shall be doing some early morning stamina training on friday and saturday.

my new-ish treble jig step im trying to work on is perplexing my brain

and I now have double switches/butterflies in my steps and I cannot do them :( any tips?
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:16 PM
back from my trip.
never letting friends drink again. that was a nightmare.
I have a week until Dance For Life!
and 9 days till Europe.
So Id better get on doing all I need to do!
On Mon Jul 23, 2012 04:53 PM
well, I went to Dance for Life yesterday

I got 2nd in slip jig, 1st in treble jig, 2nd in trad set and 2nd in Hornpipe. ( as well as 1/3 in light jig and 3/4 in single jig)

SOOOOO happy im placing consistently. The second in hornpipe was better than winning treble jig again even because all I have ever placed in prizewinner hornpipe was 1st ( the first time I placed), 5th in a june feis,and now a 2nd. So my goal was to place in hornpipe and win light or single jig , which I also did. I am pretty sure since after having 2 firsts and 3 seconds and 3 thirds (or something like that) my treble jig is down good.

And I am off to Dublin tommorow!!!!!
Page:
Page 15 of 15: 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 13 14 15

ReplySendWatch