Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Girls & Guys
hangover en>fr fr>en
By dancing_barbie17 Comments: 213, member since Sat Mar 12, 2005
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:15 PM

Hi everyone,

Before I start I understand what a dumb idea binge drinking is and so don't need any lectures on that!

I am currentky very hungover (have been sleeping on and off all day) as a result of drinking way too much last night (mainly wine but I can't remember after a certain point- I was with friends so was safe but yes, I understand how bad that sounds!). I have felt horrendoulsy sick (have only just been able to eat toast and crackers) and had a massive head ache this morning. I think if I had been sick I would have felt better, however I have a big phobia of being sick so just wouldn't let myself. My question now is do you think my body is still needing me to be sick at some point, or can I just sleep that off? I am honestly surprised I have thrown up as I really thought I was, however don't feel like I am as much anymore (still feel really ill though). The worst thing would be to wake up tomorrow needing to be sick becuase I was too scared to let it happen today!

I know people aren't trained doctors here but I welcome any input.

J

ps I have been sick from a hangover before (I had actually tried to sleep it off but still woke up needing to be sick), I think because I'm currently at home alone the thought is even more scary :s

24 Replies to hangover

re: hangover en>fr fr>en
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2706, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 01:10 PM
I'm hugely emetophobic, so I completely understand where you're coming from here. I think that once you get past a certain point, the nausea will go away. It might be easier just to let yourself be sick and get it over with, but I know it's terrifying - I probably wouldn't be able to do it. I usually try to distract myself until it goes away. Keep eating the toast and crackers in small amounts - having something in your stomach should help. Also, WATER AND LOTS OF IT. Ginger ale if you have it, or ginger or peppermint tea. Eating minty things actually helps me with nausea quite a bit.

I think you'll be fine, just try to relax. Working yourself into an anxiety attack can actually make you feel more sick, so deep breaths and distraction :) Feel better!
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14365, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 01:23 PM
I've been hungover a few times...it sucks! I drank Gatorade and ate tacos, haha. That helped because I love Gatorade and tacos. At least drink a lot of water to rehydrate yourself and if any food sounds good and palatable, eat it!
By Shortgirl75member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 990, member since Thu Jul 31, 2008
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 01:50 PM
Vitamin water, LOTS of regular water, vitamin B.

I swear by it. ;)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12800, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 02:18 PM
As everyone else said, you'll be fine if you keep hydrated and eat a bit. Light exercise will also help, unappealing as I know that sounds.

In future, try alternating alcohol with glasses of water (or at the very least drink a couple glasses before you go to bed.) The better hydrated you are, the less hungover you'll feel in the morning. Alcohol is incredibly dehydrating and if you counter the effects of that it'll help a ton.
By ShandaLeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2645, member since Sat Nov 30, 2002
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 06:34 PM
I've been told bananas help with hangovers. Never tried it, but would be worth a shot.
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2530, member since Fri Dec 21, 2007
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 06:46 PM
Bananas and Cherry Coke work wonders. But make sure you drink enough water to make sure your body isn't dehydrated.
By girlwithacoin Comments: 69, member since Wed Mar 17, 2010
On Sat Feb 05, 2011 06:52 PM
Like others have said, drink LOTS of water (and for future reference, always try to drink at least a glass or two of water before bed if you have been drinking). Orange juice is also a good call, and even though you feel nauseous, keep eating. Toast and crackers is good, but try to eat something a bit more substantial as well -- for a lot of people a nice greasy, fatty meal can do the trick to fix a hangover.

I hope you feel better soon, and next time, remember water right before bed! Hangovers are never fun!
By dance_to_kill Comments: 517, member since Tue Dec 28, 2004
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 01:57 AM
My morning routine after a really tough night out where I failed to chug water before bed:
1. Get up, groggy, nauseated, headachey, and grumpy
2. Sit for a long time snapping at anyone who comes near me, wearing yoga pants and watching Mtv reality shows (Teen Mom, The Hills, or Laguna Beach on DVD)
3. Puke
4. A few minutes later, start in on orange juice or blue Powerade
5. Fatty, carby breakfast eggs, toast, and bacon is WIN.
6. Water and more juice throughout the day, maybe a vitamin and ibuprofen depending on how I still feel.
7. May feel tired, but otherwise, right as rain.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5036, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 02:13 AM
I've never been hungover. Drank the same amount as other people who ended up hungover. The difference was I drank a lot of water before going to sleep and I ate crackers before going to sleep. So, keep that in mind for future reference.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10292, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 03:14 AM
Oh, that sucks. Even if you're not sick, I think you'll be fine. I've had hangovers like that before and not been sick - I was back to normal the next day.

I find that sparkling water helps a ton more than regular tap water and eating extremely plain things like crackers. By the evening, I'm usually ravenous and need some serious comfort food!

Hope you feel better soon!
re: hangover (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17054, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 03:34 AM
If anything water makes me feel MORE sick when I'm hungover. I need Coke or anything with a lot of sugar in it, one slice of dry toast, and maybe some grapes. Until I feel a bit better I can't touch water and when I do, it has to be brain-freezingly, face-numbingly, tooth-achingly cold. I normally find that lying quietly helps; whether I sleep or not, quiet time followed by a shower is a winner. Occasionally I have a monster and don't start feeling better until about six o'clock, at which point out comes the Chinese takeaway menu. Hot and sour soup and either pork yuk sung or Szechuan beef with boiled rice. Best hangover cure ever.

Anyone who does lecture you about binge drinking is a bore. Lots of things in life are bad for you and binge drinking is fun*. There, I said it.

*unless you do it a) alone or b) daily.
By dancing_barbie17 Comments: 213, member since Sat Mar 12, 2005
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 03:50 AM
Ah thanks for all the replies guys! Feeling better today, although still think I'm feeling a bit scared even though I know it's highly unlikely I'm going to be sick now! Have had some cereal and then am off for a run so we'll see if that helps :)

Also, Louise, I'm with you about the water. Yesterday morning I just drank lemonade... probs not the best thing but I couldn't face water!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17054, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 04:31 AM
If lemonade's the only thing I can get my hands on it will do but I have to mix it with blackcurrant squash or orange juice or something. Luckily I don't have these hangovers so much anymore since I've stopped mixing my drinks but man, what a waste of a day. "I'm never drinking again," I say. HA!

Glad you're feeling better!
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2706, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 02:36 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about my magical hangover food: HASH BROWNS. I swear, I can have the hangover of death (hello, yesterday), and everything else will make me want to puke, but hash browns will taste like the best thing on the planet. I don't know what it is about them, but they are the best hangover food EVER.
By cara_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 335, member since Mon Jun 21, 2010
On Wed Feb 09, 2011 01:32 PM
ok so ive never been hungover as im only 14 lol but when i feel horrible and sicky but cant be sick...i drink coke that has lost all its fizzyness (flat coke) it seems to help
By alicelovestodacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 959, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Feb 09, 2011 02:10 PM
i find a mcdonalds at about 1ish cures my hangover quite well, unhealthy yes, but it cures my headache
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33909, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Feb 09, 2011 02:31 PM
Orion wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot about my magical hangover food: HASH BROWNS. I swear, I can have the hangover of death (hello, yesterday), and everything else will make me want to puke, but hash browns will taste like the best thing on the planet. I don't know what it is about them, but they are the best hangover food EVER.

The day after my boyfriends company Christmas party is known at the annual "Jim wakes up with a hella-hangover day" at my house (*ahem...*), and this year, he woke up and was like "Hasbrowns at Denny's, yeah? Ok, let's go...", and was down to the car in about two minutes, lol...

You'd think he'd learn, and he kind of did, but even still. The company Christmas party always features unlimited open bar. The first year he worked there, he was so hungover that he was sick for about four days afterward. He's knocked it down to just a day, but really? You're 36 years old - you should know how to handle your business by now!
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8925, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 PM
Oh god, I'm terrible when it comes to hangovers. Haha.

My last massive hangover was from a massive session...we started on the train to the airport...then continued on the plane....then a drink at the airport bar....then it was off to the pub next to our hotel.... the next morning I threw up outside a conveniece store before I could get my gatorade! Very classy (thankfully, I was travelling with 5 very non-judgemental boys).

My cure? McDonalds Cokes. For some reason it just does the trick better than normal Coke. And a cheeseburger. Amazing. However, I have learnt a new trick which helps...

Berocca before you start drinking, berocca when you get home before bed, and a berocca when you wake up (then have a half out snooze or lay down)....

When you drink, you lose B vitamins....so try and eat some bananas, vegemite...anything high in vitamin b and keep up the liquids.
By Clodaghmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 951, member since Wed Dec 27, 2006
On Wed Feb 16, 2011 01:05 PM
I cant drink water either has to be Coke (or the Red Ambulance as ive heard it called!) or tea, very milky tea and lots of it! As I am a stupid student I seem to regularly go out the night before I have work, in which case I drink loads of ice cold milk from the milk machine there... I know that makes some people sicker though.

Oh and for food sausage sandwiches are yum.. also hashbrowns in a white breadroll are fab.. the greasier the better for me! Seriously!

Also I find having someone to be grumpy towards (my sister works best!) makes me feel way better, as does MTV reality shows like someone else said!
By HollieErin Comments: 3408, member since Tue Feb 19, 2002
On Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:44 PM
two tylenols and a huge glass of water before you go to bed. Wake up and down a gatorade (perferable grape ice) and follow with a toasted beagle.
By HardestWorker Comments: 1074, member since Sun Apr 25, 2004
On Thu Feb 17, 2011 04:02 PM
Don't take tylenol or any other acetaminophen with alcohol--it's terrible for your liver, and no need to make things worse.

But what the above poster said with other anti-inflammitories like ibuprophen or something would be fine.
re: hangover (karma: 3)  en>fr fr>en
On Thu Feb 17, 2011 04:09 PM
toasted beagle

Do you have a hot dog with that?

Oh honestly, that was just dreadful. Sorry everybody. Sorry.
By HighlandHottie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3003, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Fri Feb 18, 2011 05:20 PM
Okay, I have this smoothie I make when I'm hungover and I feel like heaven after I drink it, it's seriously magic, I feel AMAZING after it, no matter how much I drank the night before. You might think it sounds gross but it's delishh

1/2 a pineapple
1/2 a small cucumber
2 stalks of celery
2 hand fulls of spinach
half a lemon peeled
1 inch piece of peeled ginger
1 cup of water
hand full of ice
BLEND AND FEEL FABULOUS
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6132, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:15 AM
HollieErin wrote:

two tylenols and a huge glass of water before you go to bed. Wake up and down a gatorade (perferable grape ice) and follow with a toasted beagle.

The Tylenol may irritate your already irritated liver so be careful mixing it with alcohol.

As for the "beagle"...I know others have suggested Chineese food but I don't know any places that actually admit to using little foxhounds. Maybe you should try a bagel?

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch