Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Adult Highland Outfit
By hilandmumndancer
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 03:21 PM

Any tips or suggestions on finding adult sizes for used kilt or outfit pieces. I have been looking on here for a while now and nothing in my size range has come up (approx size 16US).

14 Replies to Adult Highland Outfit

re: Adult Highland Outfit
By emmyport
On Sun Feb 06, 2011 04:16 PM
Sorry I can't offer anything more than check back often and be patient. It took me 3 years to find my new-to-me kilt (I wear about the same size as you & I'm tall). I actually ended up finding it not on DDN, but another message board. Be sure to check other sites, as well. Here is a link to the page on my web site where I list the consignment sites I know of:

dancerkilts.tripod.com . . .

Hope that helps! :)
By LoriCook
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 02:34 AM
I check ebay UK site all the time. You find much more highland dance gear on that site than the US site. There was a 42 inch chest jacket that just sold and there is currently an adult aboyne outfit listed. It says it was worn by a 14 year old but the vest is a 36-38. You can also try kijiji which is a Canadian Craigslist or Gumtree which is based in Scotland. It can be tricky to talk people in to shipping internationally from these sites. I found an aboyne on US Craigslist but that was a rare find.
It takes a tremendous amount of time but I have been able to find outfit pieces for myself and other friends in sizes 12-16. Persistence is the key!

I have thought about buying a men's kilt from Sweetwater kilts for a larger lady I know. They apparently have decent quality kilts for the price. Not a dance kilt but at least it is a kilt and they are lightweight LIKE a dance kilt.

I have also looked on etsy.com for velvet vests. I have found two vintage Aljean vests there that were size 14. Had to add the buttons and braid but they look great despite not being "real".

I Google "used highland dance" frequently. You can sometimes find places that no one seems to know about. Celtic Corner currently has a used red vest for $70 which has a 38 inch size waist and 40 chest.
By booverly
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 06:29 AM
Actually Lori, you mean Stillwater Kilts www.stillwaterkilts.com

There's quite a few online kilt stores that sell what they call casual kilts which sell for $100 to $300 depending on the fabric. Made like full kilts, but with less fabric. Perfectly acceptable for dancing especially for the beginner or performance types.
By kathr
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 09:35 AM
Do you know what the UK equivalent of a US size 16 is please? More accurately can you please PM me with what bust / waist / hip measurements you require as I have a friend who may still have a kilt outfit for sale which might possibly fit - kilt in purple MacPherson with matching hose and a purple waistcoat.
Thanks.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 09:53 AM
I found mine on E-BAY. It took awhile but I did find one.
By hilandmumndancer
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. If anyone else can think of some, please feel free to post. I realize that used outfits are hard to find, especially in larger sizes. So thanks!
By LoriCook
On Wed Feb 09, 2011 02:44 AM
Ah yes, Stillwater kilts! I think their black stewart kilt is pretty.
US size 16 is a UK 18.
There is a pretty kilt and hose at highlandxpress. Not specifically a dance kilt but would work.

Kilt & Hose- MacLauren Old Colors
8 yard kilt (11-12oz?) in MacLauren Old Colors.
There are a couple of very small moth holes that can be easily repaired and belt straps need to be replaced.
(new straps will be sent for replacement)
Waist 35-37" Actual Kilt length 23" plus 2" hem
Kilt Hose in Excellent condition. Look brand new!
Foot: 9 1/2" Leg Length: 16"
$250 for all VIEW KILT & HOSE
Contact Mary Beth at:
highlandxpress@aol.com
By dancermommy
On Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 AM
I have a few kilts at home that might be around that size. I have two of mine (which I'm not inclined to sell) but my two sisters also danced and their kilts are just sitting in my closet. One is Dress Rose Nesbitt with socks and black waistcoat (vest) and the other is purple (maybe dress Culloden??) with socks, and purple vest. Like I said, I'd have to look at the actual sizes, AND I'd have to ask them if they're interested in selling. I'll post in a couple days when I get all this info.
By emmyport
On Wed Mar 23, 2011 02:58 PM
LoriCook wrote:

There is a pretty kilt and hose at highlandxpress. Not specifically a dance kilt but would work.

Kilt & Hose- MacLauren Old Colors
8 yard kilt (11-12oz?) in MacLauren Old Colors.
There are a couple of very small moth holes that can be easily repaired and belt straps need to be replaced.
(new straps will be sent for replacement)
Waist 35-37" Actual Kilt length 23" plus 2" hem
Kilt Hose in Excellent condition. Look brand new!
Foot: 9 1/2" Leg Length: 16"
$250 for all VIEW KILT & HOSE
Contact Mary Beth at:
highlandxpress@aol.com

This is a very nice-looking kilt. One of my friends just had it out to try it on and the kilt was gorgeous on her, but the hose were too short (she's 5'9"). Hope that helps!
By booverly
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:59 PM
What are your friends measurements Emmy?
By emmyport
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 03:19 PM
Sorry, don't know, but I can ask her. I know she generally wears a 12 in dresses/pants and a 9 in shoes, both US ladies sizes.
By bree_dancer
On Sat Apr 02, 2011 06:40 PM
cgi.ebay.co.uk . . .

This is an adult size but I think it is 14/16 UK. Might want to check it out :)
By LoriCook
On Sat Apr 02, 2011 08:46 PM
Only 5 yards on that kilt? That's kind of a kiltie in my opinion. For that size wouldn't you want more like 7 yards?
By mcnicola
On Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:52 PM
Hi, I saw your ad and wondered if you had decided upon selling. I'm looking for a size 10/12 US size kilt outfit.

Thanks,

ReplySendWatch