Forum: Irish / Irish

Sesamoiditis - Inflammation of the Sesamoid bones
By dancin_gal
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 06:40 PM

Just wondering who else has suffered from this and what you did to relieve pain / cure it?

11 Replies to Sesamoiditis - Inflammation of the Sesamoid bones

re: Sesamoiditis - Inflammation of the Sesamoid bones
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 07:00 PM
Edited by IrishLizzy (101326) on 2011-02-07 19:03:20
I have this. Ugh, super painful but if you can find some type of padding to cushion the impact of dance, it will help a little.
I use bunion pads for my cushion. Ya know the ones with the little hole in the middle? They look like a tiny donut.

I also ice a lot and massage my arches. If the bottoms of your feet are loose it helps relieve the tension in the ball of your foot.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 07:24 PM
I saw a podiatrist. I was having terrible pain dancing, and even had pain just walking around at work. Eventually I got a cortisone shot (thru the top of my foot, to reach the bottom!!) but also I use thin Dr Jill's dance pads in my everyday shoes, and the thick ones in my dance shoes. The do take up a bit of space in my hardshoes. No problems in my ghillies. The pads stick on and are reusable. Just wash them and they are sticky again. I honestly would not be dancing without them. I got my pads from the podiatrist, but you can get them on-line also.

Here's just one place to get them: www.ourdoctorstore.com . . . or here www.shoestuff.com . . . They come two to a pack. Two rights or two lefts. I only wear them on the foot I have trouble with.
By KrystalGhilliemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 05:28 AM
I was told the cortisone shot would be the way to go if I wanted to keep dancing, but then I also read that many dancers have done irreparable damage and ended their careers by masking the pain of sesamoiditis and dancing through it.
I have used pads and cushions as well, but also relied heavily on self massage and rest. I am an older dancer, but I think even if you are a younger dancer, don't try and dance through something as painful as this.
For those of you who don't know, this feels like you are dancing on bare bone, especially while on releve, and it has reduced me to tears in class.
It can't get better if you don't rest it.
By dancemomtoo
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 05:48 AM
Our tcs dd had this and finally had the surgery-she is dancing again-at the OC level. I do not know if she still has pain but it was a long journey
By iloveirishdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 08:09 AM
I'm suffering with it now. I injured my big toe joint (turf toe) while getting it caught on carpet during a warmup routine, and pulling it underneath me. I couldn't walk on it for a week. Now more than 3 months later, I have pain to walk and dance underneath the toe and I just know its inflamed sesamoids. I'm scared it won't go away. I'm going to look into those pads too. Its terrible to be in constant pain while you dance, so I hope I can get past it without stopping dance for a long time. Good luck to you!
By blondcat
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:04 PM
I actually fractured mine on the left foot about 7 years ago. The doctor that treated me thought it happened landing a slice in hard shoe because of the toe block. The X-ray showed a bone fragment still attached to the tendon that pulled it off. Through rest and padding, it healed. I no longer have the pain. My podiatrist husband says that I am one of the lucky ones. I still pad to better balance my foot (I have high arches and tend to roll my ankle.)
By KrystalGhilliemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:08 PM
I wonder if this condition is more common among high-arched feet? I only noticed one other poster refer to high arches, but mine are high as well...and so are two other girls I know that have the same problem.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:09 PM
Maybe. I have high arches too. But I only have the problem on my right foot.
By akshayv
On Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:09 AM
Suffering from plantar fasciitis for over a year made shopping for shoe a difficult task. I had read about orthofeet and thought I would take a gamble. They are by far the BEST shoe for me. I had cleared my pain up over the winter months and was ready to get back into my walking routine. I bought my orthofeet shoes and absolutely LOVE them. Can walk three miles and have no pain afterwards. My walking shoes have turned into my working shoes. I will order another pair as soon as I have time to look and decide. Currently own the boot and now the walking so the third pair will be a charm!
By AMBerg
On Sun Aug 05, 2018 09:57 PM
I began to notice pain about a year ago when I started dancing in my new character shoes (2.5 inch Capezio Manhattan). In the fall, when I was dancing in them for long periods of time everyday, the pain became severe, but after consulting a podiatrist, I had to dance through it for a few months to get through audition season. After some time in a boot followed by reduced dancing in the winter/spring, I thought it was getting better. All summer, while choreographing a show, I've been dancing in sneakers and have had 0 pain. After just a few days wearing heals and dancing in jazz shoes, it's been flaring up again very badly, and I'm scared to go back to dancing everyday/wearing character shoes, which I have to do soon for school.

I'm hoping to invest in some La Ducas, but as they are very expensive, I wanted to see if anyone else with sesamoiditis has experience with them. I also just bought a bunch of dancer's pads so hopefully those will help. Are they comfortable? Do they fit with ballet shoes and jazz shoes? Ice and massaging helps, but I'd really like to avoid going back to the boot! Any more tips for dealing with it as a dancer would be very very appreciated.
By kss
On Sun Sep 09, 2018 03:29 PM
My 15yo dd has not been able to ID since St. Patrick's Day and may not be able to ID again. Her MRI actually showed unusually hardened sesamoids in her injured foot, so no problems with the sesamoids, while the end of her first metatarsal had a 7mm osteochondral injury. Basically all that launching and landing on high toes caused the metatarsal to get beaten to a pulp by the sesamoids. She was such a hard worker, practicing and drilling so much, but that clearly worked against her in the long run. She has another MRI next week and we're hoping to see evidence of some healing.

Anyway, not sure why I am posting here other than to process this (I'm so very sad for her, it's been a really rough six months and we don't know how much longer this injury will last) and to encourage all you ID dancers out there to be really careful!

ReplySendWatch