Forum: Arts / Debates

Groupon's Super Bowl ad
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 08:35 AM
Edited by Jonelle (199601) on 2011-02-08 08:36:45

Just wondering what others' thoughts are on the ad Groupon ran during the Super Bowl.

Here is a link to the ad if you missed it: www.youtube.com . . .

And here's a link to an article from Huffington Post describing Groupon CEO Andrew Mason's reaction to the controversy the ad has created: www.huffingtonpost.com . . .

So what does everyone think? Tastless? Funny? Maybe a bit of both? Does the ad mock the plight of Tibetans or draw attention to it?

My thoughts, under the cut so that you can form your own opinion before reading mine: Spoiler: Show
I saw the ad when it ran, and when it got to the part about the great curry, I turned to Mark and said, "Well, that was a bit tasteless," and then I kind of forgot about it for the time being. The whole controversy = attention = profits formula is as old as the hills, but there are tons of comments on Groupon's site in which people claim to be canceling their Groupon subscriptions, so I'm wondering if this is really backfiring for them. I think they tried to walk the line between being funny and being offensive (after all, isn't that what most of the best comedy out there does?), but in most people's minds, they landed solidly on the side of being offensive. If they wanted to make it known that they truly do care about Tibet, they might have made it a little clearer that they intend to donate money to the cause, although I guess that might have ruined the "joke."

5 Replies to Groupon's Super Bowl ad

re: Groupon's Super Bowl ad
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 08:44 AM
I was not familiar with Groupon. Wife and I looked at the commercial, looked at each other and said "Huh????"

Only ones I remember...VW/Darth Vader, Bridgestone/Beaver (a spin on "Androcles and the Lion"), And the catering dogs.

Jon
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 08:45 AM
If you've read any of Groupon's materials, you know they have a pretty off-the-wall sense of humor. I thought it was a pretty great skewering of celebrities being the face of "causes" (Noah Wyle on the verge of tears about polar bears, anyone?) when the celebrities themselves are living comfortable and privileged lives, or the cause is only flimsily related to them. But was it a smart marketing move, especially when you're introducing yourself to many consumers for the first time? Probably not.

I think it wouldn't have had the controversy if they had used a made-up tribe or group of people (it may have even been funnier). The fact that they're using a real country where real suffering goes on makes it a little borderline. So I guess I'm kind of on the fence.

Dani
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 08:54 AM
^This is sort of off-topic, but am I the only one who finds Groupon's humor sort of annoying? Every time I click to read more about a Groupon, I'm mentally rolling my eyes at all of the stupid jokes. I'm like, "OMG, just tell me about the restaurant already." It's the type of humor that makes it seem like the writers just can't get over how terribly clever they are, and I think this ad was more of the same.

Good point about the celebs, though. I didn't even think of it that way. And I agree that it probably would have been funnier, and certainly less controversial, if they had used a fictitious group of people.
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 10, 2011 08:55 PM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2011-02-10 21:26:30
Ummmmm...Ok? I wasn't offended. We can't even make a joke any more because SOMEWHERE, SOMEONE is going to be offended. I LOVE groupon btw. I'm glad someone refuses to censor themselves for fear of offending someone.

I happen to think this groupon commercial is hilarious:

By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:41 PM
I study communications and in this kind of case I really believe that no publicity is bad publicity. I think a lot of people who know nothing about Tibet will look up more information because of the commercial, plus donate money etc.

I haven't used groupon but I have bought something from LivingSocial which is similar ($60 for an hour long massage and half hour reflexology! I just need to find time to make an appointment)

ReplySendWatch