Forum: Arts / Pets

Help me weather-proof my dog
By ballerinatwirler
On Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:11 PM

So my lovely baby just turned 2. She is part Maltese and part Havanese. She is afraid of cold weather and snow and it's becoming a major issue in my house. She does okay if the weather is above 30 degrees F but when the weather drops below that she will not go potty at all. Right now the weather is like 10 degrees F with a negative wind chill. She has been going potty in the morning but after that she refuses to go. I've taken her out a million times and she walks around for like 30 seconds and then runs to the door shaking. She also acts like she can't walk on the cold ground.

** She did get her hair cut right after Christmas. We asked the lady for a simple trim and she shaved her so she doesn't have a lot of fur right now. So she's been wearing a fleece hoodie or a shirt.

My parents are ready to kill me because she won't go pee outside in this weather and she has been having accidents in the basement.

I have no idea how to get her more comfortable with the weather. I'm almost tempted to get her doggie boots so she'll at least have something warm on her feet. ( Yes I sound crazy :)

Any Advice

3 Replies to Help me weather-proof my dog

re: Help me weather-proof my dog
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:54 PM
I have the same sort of problem. Our dog is a Jack Russell terrier who will charge out there, in spite of the below-zero-degree temperature. However, he is short-haired and within a short time his legs really freeze up. Then he can barely move them. We have to watch him because he can collapse, unable to stand and unable to get back to the house. I've tried putting on a dog-sweater and dog overcoat but that doesn't help with the legs enough. I did get dog boots but he doesn't like them and on uneven ground they don't work well. What I need is a combination of dog leg-warmers plus better boots!

This morning when he went out he was able to pee quickly, close to the house, then came in. Later he went out again, looked like he was trying to run around vigorously as he needs to do before he can poop; however his legs quit working. I got him back in before he froze to death. So he pooped in the house. There was just no way around it!

And I think his legs got sprained or strained a little because he can't dash up the stairs the way he usually does -- not good.

There are puppy-training pads you might try putting down, somewhere, along with a lot of newspapers. I'm thinking of rigging up something like that in the garage.

It's not the dog's fault. Try really bundling her up and putting on boots. And there must be something that can be made into dog legwarmers.
By TuniePremium member
On Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 AM
^It very well could be a sprained or strained muscle. The same thing happened to my cat: she couldn't get up or down the stairs very well, and she also couldn't jump very well. Vet said she sprained a muscle.

Maybe some baby or little kids' socks could be made into doggie legwarmers? Just cut the toes off pretty much. Good luck.
By saor_celticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:11 AM
Get her doggie boots for her feet. I use these: pawzdogboots.com for my yorkie. Altho granted sometimes it takes longer to actually put them on because he wiggles. They are like little balloons that you put on their feet. Works really well against salt & freezing temps/ice on the ground. Have her wear them inside for a few mins to get used to them before you bring her outside though. You might want to "bulk up" on the coat. Get her a sherpa coat. The shirt sounds too thin. Remember that dogs can get hypothermia & frostbite as well, so you want to make sure that she's properly dressed.

I'd also put a puppy pee pad in your basement where she usually goes. This will give her an area in the house to go when it's too cold, if she won't go outside, but you might have to work with her on getting used to it.

I use the pee pads indoors for my dog. He's been trained to use them (took awhile) in instances where he can't make it outside or it's too cold. Works wonders and cleanup is easy.

ReplySendWatch