Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Scholarships
By ScottishMamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:00 PM

A local group in our area that gives out scholarships to those involved in Scottish sports or talents has upped their reward amounts but excluded anyone older than 18 from applying. I am totally bummed. Anyone else think this is unfair?

6 Replies to Scholarships

re: Scholarships
By LoriCook
On Sat Feb 12, 2011 03:03 PM
People over 18 are generally able to get a decent job to pay for their dance lessons and clothing, a child is not and is dependent upon parents who may not be able or willing to spend that much money. So I think it is fair in that respect.

Would be nice for someone to start a scholarship specifically for adults who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford lessons.
By tartanlily
On Sat Feb 12, 2011 04:17 PM
There are many dancers 18 and over who are students and don't have good jobs and disposable incomes and having scholarships for them, especially Premier dancers, could be very helpful for travelling to Championships out of province, or even country, ie. Scotland. Most of these dancers have all of their outfits, it's the travel and entries that add up and having scholarships for this would be great. Unless you're at a big games, you can't make the kind of money back to pay for it all.
re: Scholarships (karma: 1)
By ifinance
On Sat Feb 12, 2011 04:59 PM
I think that stinks! I am so sorry that they excluded you.

What is their purpose for giving the scholarship? If it is to help those in need, then they should request financial information and make the restrictions need-based. Age has nothing to do with need.

If their purpose is to promote education in the Scottish Arts, then once again I am perplexed to understand how being over 18 would be in conflict with their philanthropic purpose.

I will never understand why some people choose to build barriers when we should be finding ways to tear them down instead.
By LoriCook
On Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:03 AM
Good point tartanlily.

I am also disappointed in the dance camps that have an age restriction. I saw one I was interested in but upon further investigation it was for 15 and under.

There certainly is a bias toward younger dancers in all aspects.
By ScottishMamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:23 AM
@ifinance you said it perfectly, that is exactly how I feel.

If I had to guess I'd say that the point of the scholarship is to promote education of the Scottish Arts, and I am definitely someone who promotes all things Scottish! I talk about my dancing every where & to anyone who will listen.

It's rough for me because I am a mother of 2, full time student. My man takes care of our family financially by working a full time job. Any money I earn through financial aid goes to my schooling or my children, so I look for any scholarship opportunities I can to help with my dance expenses (which are even higher right now because I just moved up to intermediate and am buying jig & hornpipe costumes). To be excluded from this amazing scholarship is a big kick in the gut for me :C
By Gall_Dannsair
On Fri Feb 25, 2011 01:58 PM
I think an age restriction totally is unacceptable. As an adult dancer I have to work harder to be accepted, produce better results as seen by the judges and I actually show more enthusiasm, productivity and I practice just as much and compete just the same....Age restriction is completely unacceptable. On the stage do you work just as hard and practice just as much on the art of Highland Dance....I think a scholarship should be based on merit and need first and reccomendation by instructor as well.

LEAMON JOHNSTON!

ReplySendWatch