Forum: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Federal Funding to Planned Parenthood cut?
By PinkPearlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:01 AM
Edited by PinkPearl (71808) on 2011-02-19 10:01:30

A few days ago, there was a vote to bar Planned Parenthood from all Federal Funding in the USA. A friend shared this (pretty biased link in my opinion)

www.lifesitenews.com . . .

So this is how I became aware of this news. The article states that Planned Parenthood helps sex workers and underage girls to get abortions. I read this and I just think they have as much right as anyone to get one. Also, regardless of abortion views, Planned Parenthood does so many other services for young women who have nowhere else to turn to, such as pap smears, contraception education, dispensaries for birth control, STD testing, etc, which all prevent the need for abortion in the first place.

Another article from Cosmopolitan (pretty opposite from the other one)
www.cosmopolitan.com . . .

What do all my DNNers think of this news :?

25 Replies to Federal Funding to Planned Parenthood cut?

re: Federal Funding to Planned Parenthood cut? (karma: 3)
By celestia836
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:27 AM
Just to be clear, this abolition of federal funding for PP is part of the proposed budget/spending cuts for the fiscal year 2011, which the Republican-led House just approved this morning. It would still have to be approved by the Senate and President to come into effect, and it's unlikely that will happen (thank goodness!).

The proposed spending cuts are, in my opinion, absolutely disgusting. The fact that PP provides abortions is a red herring, as there is already a law in place that prevents them from using any federal funds for abortion services (those are funded by private donations instead). Only a small fraction of the total services PP provides per year are abortions--all the rest are cancer screenings, birth control, pelvic exams, STD testing, and pre-natal care for women who are too poor to afford health insurance or other walk-in clinics. In cutting PP's major source of funding, the government is not only limiting poor women's ability to control their own health the way more financially fortunate women can, but they are costing themselves MILLIONS of dollars in the future by not helping those babies who will be born as a result of lack of access to birth control, abortions, and then pre-natal care. And do you (general 'you', not PinkPearl) think these children will be born to women who will then suddenly find themselves in peachy-keen financial situations so that the children will receive great education, healthcare, and all that good stuff once they're born? Uh, no... many of them will be statistically likely to need more assistance from the government throughout their lives for a plethora of reasons. Just because one is a) poor, and b) has a vagina, does not mean that one should be penalized for engaging in a healthy sex life... or heck, for wanting to make sure that one doesn't HAVE CANCER.
re: Federal Funding to Planned Parenthood cut?
By MaxwellPremium member
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 AM
Like^ said, PP has never used federal funding for abortion, so I really don't see how this is a well-thought out measure. Full disclosure: I'm 100% pro-choice, but if you aren't for whatever reason, nothing will prevent abortion more than affordable birth control. Also, a friend of a friend made the decision to keep her baby after Planned Parenthood helped her with affordable pre-natal care and referred her to where she could get benefits/insurance. So, yeah, preventing abortion fail.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 04:21 PM
Idiots.

I've never gotten an abortion, and never plan on having one - and Planned Parenthood helps me keep it that way. I go there regularly for affordable birth control, pelvic exams, STD tests, and consultations. In fact, the clinic that I go to doesn't even offer abortions. Only the larger clinics in big cities do. They also offer pre-natal services and adoption counseling, too.

And, as previously mentioned, they don't even use federal funds for abortions!

How can you possibly be against affordable reproductive healthcare? Ridiculous. Thank God for checks and balances, this bill will never pass.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 04:22 PM
I am SO frustrated and disappointed. I'm a co-chair of one of PP's campus organizations, so this is really stupid to me. Celestia and Maxwell have already done a good job detailing WHY it's so stupid, so I'll just leave it at that.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 05:19 PM
You know how when you try to think about how huge and limitless the universe is, and your brain starts to feel funny?

That's how my brain is feeling right now. It is actually BOGGLING. Surely the Senate will put the brakes on this complete madness, though. Surely?

What is up with this neo-con movement?

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 05:32 PM
Oh my, how did some of those people get voted in? Stopping STD's and cancer is an indefensible use of taxpayer money? Pft, whatever. Basically, you want to endanger the health of many people just because of your own personal agenda on abortion (which the taxpayer money doesn't fund anyway).

When will some people realise you can be pro choice without ever wanting an abortion yourself? Like you can be pro gay marriage without wanting to get married to the same sex yourself? Even if you would never do either yourself, it's not right to deny other people the CHOICE of what to do in their life. How other people live their life doesn't affect you. It's certainly not the govt.'s job to micromanage people's lives, in any case.
By PinkPearlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 05:50 PM
Edited by PinkPearl (71808) on 2011-02-19 17:53:03
Edited by PinkPearl (71808) on 2011-02-19 17:55:27
Thank you for clarifying, Celestia : ) I am so glad that this is not in effect then yet and it is my true hope that this will not be voted in! I think that it is absolutely ridiculous. I also did not realize that the money for funding the abortion does not even come from the taxes. However many people against those may argue that their taxes are still going to an organization that supports abortion, and thus paying the office/personnel that would provide the resource for the abortion in the first place. I am trying to look for a source for this (the tax money not going to the abortion procedure itself) so I can maybe show my friend (if I have enough guts, lol). So if anyone can help me find the law that sates this, that would be awesome!

Basically what they are doing here is denying people the right to their reproductive health, especially those in underprivileged circumstances! I am pretty much in awe that there are enough people who think this way to have given it this much attention in the government. Clearly people do still think this way (including friends on facebook :?) and that to me is just sad. Definitely have that feeling too Odessa, this makes me feel so unempowered.

This PDF indicates all that only 3% of Planned Parenthood's services are abortion
www.plannedparenthood.org . . . , and outlines all the other awesome services they do.

ETA:
secure.ppaction.org . . .

Anyone who is in the US and is against Planned Parenthood funds cut from government sources can sign the above if they would like.

It is truly mind boggling...
By celestia836
On Sat Feb 19, 2011 06:00 PM
^The no federal funds for abortions thing is called the Hyde Amendment. I'm being lazy and just linking you to the Wikipedia page, but that will get you started if you want something more 'official' than Wikipedia. :) en.wikipedia.org . . .

And honestly, your friends' excuse for not wanting to support an organization that supports abortions is ridiculous. I didn't support the war in Afghanistan (because of my pacifist religion, but I'm able to recognize that little concept known as the separation of Church and State), but I still paid my taxes! NOBODY in this country supports every single thing the country does, but that's the way it goes. We all still pay taxes, and we all work with the system.

Yeah, this is all pretty terrible. I wasn't planning on coming back to this thread just because all of this has been really getting me down for the past few weeks, and I couldn't handle a full-blown debate with my beloved DDN community. Glad to see that so far it hasn't turned into a debate. :)
By Dancer904Premium member
On Sun Feb 27, 2011 08:43 PM
SOOOO upsetting this is. I have already sent emails to 10 senators (whether they were from my state or not LOL) and voiced my opinion on this. And the response I got from one republican senator was "I am pro-life, I support life at all costs, and will vote to cut the funding to any organization that goes against that". What shocks me is that this person actually got elected to office!!!

I am 100% pro-choice. I wouldnt have an abortion myself, but I have supported others through their difficult times having one or agonizing whether to have one or not.

As someone already stated, what baffles me the most is that these "pro life" people can also be anti prevention!! WTH!!??! Some also think birth control shouldnt be allowed (as with their beliefs with religion). Like seriously, WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT???? Not everyone is going to abstain from having sex unless they are trying to become pregnant and NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO OR CAN AFFORD TO KEEP POPPING OUT KIDS!! And take away the free or low cost birth control options from the many many women who need it but could otherwise not afford it there will be MANY MORE women wanting abortions! Its common sense - if they would support prevention and education then as a result there would be less women even considering abortions if it never happened to begin with. Those people need to WAKE UP!
On Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 PM
I got a call yesterday - due to the glory of Planned Parenthood, I will be getting a Mirena IUD for just $25 instead of the $400+ I would have to pay because my health insurance (Aetna) doesn't cover birth control.

This means I will have not just birth control, but regulated periods (and within a year, no periods at all!) and reduced (or eliminated!) PMS and period-related symptoms for FIVE YEARS.

Thank you PP!! I love you!
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 09, 2011 03:26 AM
Tis interesting how they're using pro life to justify it, but by cutting the funding, they're actually being anti life because some people will not be able to get access to free screenings that can detect cancer or STI's before it's too late.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 09, 2011 06:41 AM
The psychos I've come across try to convince everybody that PP has some sort of conspiracy going where they alter their records so that it only looks like a tiny percentage of their services are abortions. Apparently they perform abortions all the time and make money off of it so they don't need federal funding.

I literally cannot fathom being like that...I can't grasp trying to butt into others' lives to such an extent, nor can I grasp the whole, "I'm sticking my fingers in my ears, la la la, I can't hear you!" mentality they have. It's just insane.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 09, 2011 07:29 AM
Cadbury_Eater wrote:

Tis interesting how they're using pro life to justify it, but by cutting the funding, they're actually being anti life because some people will not be able to get access to free screenings that can detect cancer or STI's before it's too late.

Plus the fact that federal money doesn't even GO to abortions at all. What up, Hyde Amendment. :? I still can't understand these people.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:51 PM
This was just posted on a local news site...I immediately thought of this thread and figured I'd share an actual example of somebody thinking these things.

Try to sugarcoat it all you want but we know abortions are a big very lucrative part of planned parenthood. Do not use any of my tax money for abortions and do not manipulate the books to show how little goes to abortions. Get your money to kill those precious babies from some other source not my taxes.

My brain still can't wrap itself around these crazy fools.
On Wed Mar 09, 2011 01:06 PM
I invite anyone who thinks Planned Parenthood is "lucrative" to please go to a PP clinic and see for themselves. I know mine practically begs for donations at every turn. THEY GIVE OUT SERVICES FOR FREE. That is NOT how you make money, people!
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 09, 2011 07:47 PM
Luckily the Senate shot all this madness down today. Yay!

I wrote article about this all a few weeks ago. You guys might enjoy it, and feel free to comment on the site :).

ouramericangeneration.org . . .
By balletslipper
On Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:41 AM
I did a short sting for PP back in high school (some community service was mandatory for me to graduate) so harassment and limited funding is kind of a sore spot for me. I don't see anyone from either side coming to an agreement in my lifetime, when it comes to this issue.
And even though I'm generally understanding of the concept of not forcibly taxing someone for something they find amoral, I find these complaints ridiculous, particularly in a country like the US (that is, one where the anti-abortion lobby has a strong voice). There are more than a few ways to legally/financially distance yourself from the abortion lobby. From what I understand, medical professionals can refuse to assist in performing the procedure, and pharmacists can even refuse to sell birth control or the morning-after pill on moral grounds. That's pretty darn flexible.
I guess I am not adding much here, but I find this whole issue of whether or not PP should recieve funding based on some people's sensibilities ridiculous.
By aerial
On Sat Apr 02, 2011 08:31 PM
A bit off the topic, but I am curious about how PP works. When I moved here I called them as I was unemployed and needed BC, they told me they DO NOT give discounts, reduced fees or work on a sliding scale, that if I wanted that I had to go to the county health dept. Does each PP get to decide this? And does anyone know if they do are the ones that charge full price excluded from federal funding?

I used to love PP but I won't go back now as the last time they also decided to enact a little plan that if you choose to get your pills elsewhere they charge an additional $20 fee, I can't get them through PP as I live 50 miles away and can't order through the mail. They still applied the fee after grilling me a 28 year old married for 3 years women about "What illegal drugs I do" "What types of sex my husband has with other people" and "If I do anal" in a nasty accusing tone too. And after all that the obese woman doing the exam tells me I am overweight and grills me on what I am going to do about it ( I am about 5 pounds over my ideal) So for all that I do hope if they get funding it gets cut, in my area anyways as they are not helping anyone that way.
re: Federal Funding to Planned Parenthood cut? (karma: 1)
By dancin_til_death
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 05:08 AM
aerial wrote:

I used to love PP but I won't go back now as the last time they also decided to enact a little plan that if you choose to get your pills elsewhere they charge an additional $20 fee, I can't get them through PP as I live 50 miles away and can't order through the mail. They still applied the fee after grilling me a 28 year old married for 3 years women about "What illegal drugs I do" "What types of sex my husband has with other people" and "If I do anal" in a nasty accusing tone too. And after all that the obese woman doing the exam tells me I am overweight and grills me on what I am going to do about it ( I am about 5 pounds over my ideal) So for all that I do hope if they get funding it gets cut, in my area anyways as they are not helping anyone that way.

I can't speak for the way she said the question, however as a medical student I would like to reassure you that we ask these questions of everyone. They are normal questions which make up a sexual health history. I know they are uncomfortable but they do have a scientific basis behind them, and this is the type of information you have to ask questions about because the patient will not volunteer this information.

A perfect example of this was a pregnant lady I saw the other day; white, middle class, 31, pregnant, well dressed. She didn't look it, but it turned her husband had been on several business trips to Thailand, and she was concerned about a discharge she was getting. Now she didn't say this straight away, she said she had thrush and it was only through asking these questions it came out.

Another area we do this in is alcohol and drugs. We always overestimate and let the patient correct us.

eg.
me: do you smoke at all?
patient: yes, socially
me: how much? a pack or two a day?
patient: about half a pack every day

Or

me: when was the last time you smoked marijuana
patient: rarely
me: once a week?
patient: yep

We do this to attempt to avoid getting incorrect information. We aren't trying to pry.
By aerial
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 05:06 PM
Edited by aerial (12777) on 2011-04-14 17:10:10 added
No I get the actual questions. I also work in the medical field as a Paramedic. It was the fact that she was so nasty when asking (the tone of her voice and repeatedly accusing me of doing things not asking if I do them) as well as the fact I forgot to mention they happened to lose my chart, so although this was the 3rd year in a row I had been there I had to go through the entire process.

I can understand "Do you smoke?" but not "you smoke I can smell it all over you." Then I said “No I don’t but I live with smokers.” To which she replied “Are you lying?” Totally uncalled for!

And the whole weight thing really ticked me off, she couldn’t even tell by looking at me that I am a whooping 5 pounds overweight, she had to ask, look at her little chart and then absolutely go off on a tangent about how I need to lose even after I told her I am a gymnast that works out 15 plus hours a week, all the while she was all off 5'2" and was easily pushing 180 herself. Basically I can tell the difference between a doctor doing their job and flat out being unprofessional and she was unprofessional and rude.

Also I get the overestimating thing but what if the patient says "No I don't smoke." or "No I don't use illegal drugs." do you go onto accusing them of lying? The way this women was grilling me it was like I was a a criminal and she was a cop.
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 06:34 PM
Sometimes with PP, I feel you get what you're paying for... lol.
By dancin_til_death
On Sat Apr 16, 2011 09:52 PM
Edited by dancin_til_death (92905) on 2011-04-16 21:56:14
Edited by dancin_til_death (92905) on 2011-04-16 21:57:53
aerial wrote:

Also I get the overestimating thing but what if the patient says "No I don't smoke." or "No I don't use illegal drugs." do you go onto accusing them of lying? The way this women was grilling me it was like I was a a criminal and she was a cop.

Fair enough, I guess not all doctors are created equal. Its not like at planned parenthood they tell the doctors to judge. I have worked in sexual health clinics before and for the doctors I've met, they simply wouldn't work int hat area if they were out to judge the patients. I know that A LOT of them get quite cynical about infidelity, because they see it every day.

In answer to your question, at least the way I was taught was

if a patient says

"no I don't smoke/take illegal drugs"

the correct follow up question is

"have you ever smoked/taken illegal drugs", if yes then you follow it up with quantifying questions.

The only time which the proper conduct to assess whether a patient is lying is in drug abuse/drug seeking behaviour. However that's a very particular situation. Most patients I've found are extremly honest with doctors, and I think the only reason this is so is because doctors/medicos are seen as caring trustworthy profession.

Have to say gay men get the short end of the stick when it comes to questions. We get to ask beauties such as.

"do you sleep with men, women or both"
"what types of sex do you have
"top, bottom or versatile"

It has implications for swabs that need to be taken to confirm a diagnosis, was incredibly awkward the first time I had to ask.
By aerial
On Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:21 AM
Edited by aerial (12777) on 2011-04-17 10:23:34 mistake
That's okay she asked if my marriage was open, to which I said no and then asked if my husband or I sleep with other people which I thought was redundant but I said no, then she asked if my husband has anal sex with men again 3rd time redundant. Then went on to ask what type of sex I have and gave me the 3rd degree when I said I don't have oral sex. She was like "Of course you have oral sex, all you kids (I'm 28) lie about that." Actually lady I really don't, I know it's strange but it isn't something either of us are really into. Honestly the other 2 times I had gone there it was fine. This woman was just really unprofessional and maybe she was just jealous that I have any type of sex :)As for the drug seeking, yes I was drug seeking, seeking birth control pills, it is not like you can score narcotics at PP...Laugh.
By boleyngrrl
On Sat May 07, 2011 09:57 PM
OT for a moment... Well, sort of OT.

Can I just say how funny it is to me that these people are trying to control other people's bodies? These are the people saying health-care is socialist because it gives health benefits to everyone... Saying that now you're eventually going to need it because there will be more people?

It also astounds me that the vast majority of these men think they have the right to order women to keep their children. Easy for them to say. They don't have to deal with carrying another being inside of them for 9 months. What if the mother can't give the child a decent life? What if there are medical dangers? What if (god forbid) the woman was raped and now has to keep her rapist's child? I have no problem with people expressing their views--they have every right. But when they hurt someone else? Yeah, that I have issues with.

I also have issues with the House members grossly exaggerating numbers. "90% of what planned parenthood does is abortions." They don't even do their freaking research. Did you know that 83.29% of statistics are made up on the spot? This Senator does, and takes advantage of it. He came back later saying he was just trying to make a point. I don't think it worked for him. (I believe the actual number was under 3%, if you're wondering)

Back to the topic at hand...

I've never been to PP, but I've heard it helps people a lot more than it hurts them, so I'm for helping it.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch