Federal Funding to Planned Parenthood cut?
By PinkPearl
On 02/19/2011 10:01:05
A few days ago, there was a vote to bar Planned Parenthood from all Federal Funding in the USA. A friend shared this (pretty biased link in my opinion) http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/breaking-amendment-to-defund-planned-parenthod-passes-in-house/ So this is how I became aware of this news. The article states that Planned Parenthood helps sex workers and underage girls to get abortions. I read this and I just think they have as much right as anyone to get one. Also, regardless of abortion views, Planned Parenthood does so many other services for young women who have nowhere else to turn to, such as pap smears, contraception education, dispensaries for birth control, STD testing, etc, which all prevent the need for abortion in the first place. Another article from Cosmopolitan (pretty opposite from the other one) http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/news/house-passes-pence-bill-to-eliminate-planned-parenthood-funding What do all my DNNers think of this news :?
re: Federal Funding to Planned Parenthood cut?
By Heart
On 02/19/2011 16:21:42
Idiots. I've never gotten an abortion, and never plan on having one - and Planned Parenthood helps me keep it that way. I go there regularly for affordable birth control, pelvic exams, STD tests, and consultations. In fact, the clinic that I go to doesn't even [i]offer[/i] abortions. Only the larger clinics in big cities do. They also offer pre-natal services and adoption counseling, too. And, as previously mentioned, they don't even use federal funds for abortions! How can you possibly be against affordable reproductive healthcare? Ridiculous. Thank God for checks and balances, this bill will never pass.
By Cien
On 02/19/2011 16:22:26
I am SO frustrated and disappointed. I'm a co-chair of one of PP's campus organizations, so this is really stupid to me. Celestia and Maxwell have already done a good job detailing WHY it's so stupid, so I'll just leave it at that.
By Cadbury_Eater
On 02/19/2011 17:32:54
Oh my, how did some of those people get voted in? Stopping STD's and cancer is an indefensible use of taxpayer money? Pft, whatever. Basically, you want to endanger the health of many people just because of your own personal agenda on abortion (which the taxpayer money doesn't fund anyway). When will some people realise you can be pro choice without ever wanting an abortion yourself? Like you can be pro gay marriage without wanting to get married to the same sex yourself? Even if you would never do either yourself, it's not right to deny other people the CHOICE of what to do in their life. How other people live their life doesn't affect you. It's certainly not the govt.'s job to micromanage people's lives, in any case.
By PinkPearl
On 02/19/2011 17:50:09
Thank you for clarifying, Celestia : ) I am so glad that this is not in effect then yet and it is my true hope that this will not be voted in! I think that it is absolutely ridiculous. I also did not realize that the money for funding the abortion does not even come from the taxes. However many people against those may argue that their taxes are still going to an organization that supports abortion, and thus paying the office/personnel that would provide the resource for the abortion in the first place. I am trying to look for a source for this (the tax money not going to the abortion procedure itself) so I can maybe show my friend (if I have enough guts, lol). So if anyone can help me find the law that sates this, that would be awesome! Basically what they are doing here is denying people the right to their reproductive health, especially those in underprivileged circumstances! I am pretty much in awe that there are enough people who think this way to have given it this much attention in the government. Clearly people do still think this way (including friends on facebook :?) and that to me is just sad. Definitely have that feeling too Odessa, this makes me feel so unempowered. This PDF indicates all that only 3% of Planned Parenthood's services are abortion http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/AR08_vFinal.pdf , and outlines all the other awesome services they do. ETA: https://secure.ppaction.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=pp_ppol_ws_I_Stand_with_PP&s_src=istandwithPP_fb Anyone who is in the US and is against Planned Parenthood funds cut from government sources can sign the above if they would like. It is truly mind boggling...
By Heart
On 03/04/2011 12:01:03
I got a call yesterday - due to the glory of Planned Parenthood, I will be getting a Mirena IUD for just $25 instead of the $400+ I would have to pay because my health insurance (Aetna) doesn't cover birth control. This means I will have not just birth control, but regulated periods (and within a year, no periods at all!) and reduced (or eliminated!) PMS and period-related symptoms for FIVE YEARS. Thank you PP!! I love you!
By Cadbury_Eater
On 03/09/2011 03:26:01
Tis interesting how they're using pro life to justify it, but by cutting the funding, they're actually being anti life because some people will not be able to get access to free screenings that can detect cancer or STI's before it's too late.
By Munkenstein
On 03/09/2011 06:41:55
The psychos I've come across try to convince everybody that PP has some sort of conspiracy going where they alter their records so that it only looks like a tiny percentage of their services are abortions. Apparently they perform abortions all the time and make money off of it so they don't need federal funding. I literally cannot fathom being like that...I can't grasp trying to butt into others' lives to such an extent, nor can I grasp the whole, "I'm sticking my fingers in my ears, la la la, I can't hear you!" mentality they have. It's just insane.
By Cien
On 03/09/2011 07:29:48
Tis interesting how they're using pro life to justify it, but by cutting the funding, they're actually being anti life because some people will not be able to get access to free screenings that can detect cancer or STI's before it's too late.
Plus the fact that federal money doesn't even GO to abortions at all. What up, Hyde Amendment. :? I still can't understand these people.
By Munkenstein
On 03/09/2011 12:51:27
This was just posted on a local news site...I immediately thought of this thread and figured I'd share an actual example of somebody thinking these things.
Try to sugarcoat it all you want but we know abortions are a big very lucrative part of planned parenthood. Do not use any of my tax money for abortions and do not manipulate the books to show how little goes to abortions. Get your money to kill those precious babies from some other source not my taxes.
My brain still can't wrap itself around these crazy fools.
By Heart
On 03/09/2011 13:06:05
I invite anyone who thinks Planned Parenthood is "lucrative" to please go to a PP clinic and see for themselves. I know mine practically begs for donations at every turn. THEY GIVE OUT SERVICES FOR FREE. That is NOT how you make money, people!
By LeSoulierVert
On 03/09/2011 19:47:24
Luckily the Senate shot all this madness down today. Yay! I wrote article about this all a few weeks ago. You guys might enjoy it, and feel free to comment on the site :). http://ouramericangeneration.org/blog/ideological-views-affecting-our-access-to-healthcare
By balletslipper
On 04/01/2011 11:41:33
I did a short sting for PP back in high school (some community service was mandatory for me to graduate) so harassment and limited funding is kind of a sore spot for me. I don't see anyone from either side coming to an agreement in my lifetime, when it comes to this issue. And even though I'm generally understanding of the concept of not forcibly taxing someone for something they find amoral, I find these complaints ridiculous, particularly in a country like the US (that is, one where the anti-abortion lobby has a strong voice). There are more than a few ways to legally/financially distance yourself from the abortion lobby. From what I understand, medical professionals can refuse to assist in performing the procedure, and pharmacists can even refuse to sell birth control or the morning-after pill on moral grounds. That's pretty darn flexible. I guess I am not adding much here, but I find this whole issue of whether or not PP should recieve funding based on some people's sensibilities ridiculous.
By aerial
On 04/02/2011 20:31:23
A bit off the topic, but I am curious about how PP works. When I moved here I called them as I was unemployed and needed BC, they told me they DO NOT give discounts, reduced fees or work on a sliding scale, that if I wanted that I had to go to the county health dept. Does each PP get to decide this? And does anyone know if they do are the ones that charge full price excluded from federal funding? I used to love PP but I won't go back now as the last time they also decided to enact a little plan that if you choose to get your pills elsewhere they charge an additional $20 fee, I can't get them through PP as I live 50 miles away and can't order through the mail. They still applied the fee after grilling me a 28 year old married for 3 years women about "What illegal drugs I do" "What types of sex my husband has with other people" and "If I do anal" in a nasty accusing tone too. And after all that the obese woman doing the exam tells me I am overweight and grills me on what I am going to do about it ( I am about 5 pounds over my ideal) So for all that I do hope if they get funding it gets cut, in my area anyways as they are not helping anyone that way.
By aerial
On 04/14/2011 17:06:44
No I get the actual questions. I also work in the medical field as a Paramedic. It was the fact that she was so nasty when asking (the tone of her voice and repeatedly accusing me of doing things not asking if I do them) as well as the fact I forgot to mention they happened to lose my chart, so although this was the 3rd year in a row I had been there I had to go through the entire process. I can understand "Do you smoke?" but not "you smoke I can smell it all over you." Then I said “No I don’t but I live with smokers.” To which she replied “Are you lying?” Totally uncalled for! And the whole weight thing really ticked me off, she couldn’t even tell by looking at me that I am a whooping 5 pounds overweight, she had to ask, look at her little chart and then absolutely go off on a tangent about how I need to lose even after I told her I am a gymnast that works out 15 plus hours a week, all the while she was all off 5'2" and was easily pushing 180 herself. Basically I can tell the difference between a doctor doing their job and flat out being unprofessional and she was unprofessional and rude. Also I get the overestimating thing but what if the patient says "No I don't smoke." or "No I don't use illegal drugs." do you go onto accusing them of lying? The way this women was grilling me it was like I was a a criminal and she was a cop.
By Heart
On 04/14/2011 18:34:34
Sometimes with PP, I feel you get what you're paying for... lol.
By aerial
On 04/17/2011 10:21:52
That's okay she asked if my marriage was open, to which I said no and then asked if my husband or I sleep with other people which I thought was redundant but I said no, then she asked if my husband has anal sex with men again 3rd time redundant. Then went on to ask what type of sex I have and gave me the 3rd degree when I said I don't have oral sex. She was like "Of course you have oral sex, all you kids (I'm 28) lie about that." Actually lady I really don't, I know it's strange but it isn't something either of us are really into. Honestly the other 2 times I had gone there it was fine. This woman was just really unprofessional and maybe she was just jealous that I have any type of sex :-)As for the drug seeking, yes I was drug seeking, seeking birth control pills, it is not like you can score narcotics at PP...Laugh.
By Cien
On 05/07/2011 22:30:48
^Preaching to the choir, man. Trust me, I think we all feel you.
"90% of what planned parenthood does is abortions."
Oh, but that wasn't intended to be a factual statement. ;)

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 08/09/2022 14:01:14