Forum: Arts / Pets

Kitten jumping on kitchen table, counters, stovetop...
By Natashamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 01, 2011 08:16 AM
Moved to Pets by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2011-03-01 08:28:57 moved to correct forum

So, I know that it is normal for 8 month old kittens to be wild and to love jumping and climbing up on anything and everything.

However, Lia jumps on the table when I am eating... and on the counter and stove when I am cooking so I am trying to get her to not do that. At first I was just picking her up and putting her down, firmly saying "No, down". Then several of my friends suggested getting a spray bottle and keeping it near the surfaces she likes to jump on, and when she jumps up, to spray her with it and continue to say, "No, down".

The spray bottle works, she HATES it... now I don't even have to spray her with it most of the time, just hold up the bottle so that she can see it, and she bolts. She jumps off of whatever surface she is on and runs to the opposite end of my apartment.

However.

She KEEPS COMING BACK. The other day she was soaking wet from being sprayed so many times. I don't understand how she has not made the association yet?! I have been doing this for just under 2 weeks!

Help?? :(

13 Replies to Kitten jumping on kitchen table, counters, stovetop...

re: Kitten jumping on kitchen table, counters, stovetop...
By CheesePlusCakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 01, 2011 08:24 AM
I don't have experience with kittens so this may not help, but my roommate got a stray from the shelter last fall and we trained him to stop scratching the furniture and stop jumping on the table (well...for the most part haha). It took a few months before he started using the scratch post exclusively and stopped jumping on the table/trying to get at our food plates. I suspect that with our cat anyways at this point 95% of the time when he does those things he just wants attention. For example, he'll put his claws on the couch, wait until he sees us watching him, then move over to his scratch post. Usually if we just ignore him/walk away he stops. I don't know if this would work for a kitten, though.
By hummingbird
On Tue Mar 01, 2011 08:28 AM
She's a cat, that's what they do. They climb, it's in their nature.

All you can do is keep removing her and making her realise that you are not pleased with her when she does it.

The water spray really is a bit of a lazy way of doing it and she won't associate that with you, she's already associating it with the bottle.

Think about what another cat would do to her if she went to it's food, it would swear at her and cuff her one.

Is she an indoor cat, or does she have access to somewhere she can climb?
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 01, 2011 08:55 AM
Edited by TheStoryTeller (196424) on 2011-03-01 08:56:42
We have two kitties. It is hard to get them to stop doing things they shouldn't be doing, like climbing on top of our 2 reptile enclosures.

Basically what we do whenever we see them up there is this "Nyx / Alice, GET DOWN." If they don't get down, we get up, walk over to them, pick them up by the scruff of the neck and gently toss them away from where they were.

They seem to have realized that if they don't get down when we tell them to, they get tossed across the room, lol!
On Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:02 AM
She is an indoor cat, and I am worried that one day she is going to jump up on the stove while I am cooking and burn herself.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:10 AM
Another method I've heard to use is putting some beans or rocks inside a tin can and shaking it whenever the cat gets up on something naughty.

Dani
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:13 AM
Oh my goodness. My cat isn't a kitten but she's been jumping on top of the flat screen tv and balancing up there, pressing the buttons, and nearly knocking it over. I feel for you. We usually clap very loudly which send her running.
On Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:37 PM
Hahaha ya Lia does that to the TV as well. I also clap loudly but she just turns and looks at me like, "What? What do you want?"
By OvertheOcean
On Fri Mar 04, 2011 07:03 PM
So our cat doesn't really jump on counters, but I've really wanted to try this canned air for cats called Ssscat. You set it up somewhere (like a counter) and it sprays cats with air when they pass by it. This video shows it all:
www.youtube.com . . .

It also has the benefit of possibly providing ages of awesome entertainment!! It might work on your kitty.
By teenydanseur
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 09:16 AM
my roommate and i both got kittens at the same time, and she preferred reasoning with her kitten, and i preferred the cat method. As a previous poster said another cat would just cuff her one... no i didn't hit the cat! But I would just swat him off the table while saying no/gently grab him by his scruff and have him drop to the floor. I wouldn't do this in anger, but this is how animals learn in the wild (my older dog will nip at the younger one when she tries to go to the bathroom in the house, older cats will scratch younger cats to put them in their place.) And i think its best to speak to animals on their terms. Oh and my cat NEVER gets on the table, and is very well mannered all around, her cat is awful though, so invasive
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 03:48 PM
CheesePlusCake wrote:

he'll put his claws on the couch, wait until he sees us watching him, then move over to his scratch post.
My old cat used to do this. He loved to pull my chain and knew that claws about to scratch furniture would do it. He also knew I didn't like him to bring dead mice and other critters into the house. He'd trot in with something and say, "Mrrrw" (a muffled Meow since his mouth was full) to get my attention. Then as soon as I turned and screamed he'd trot out again.

My sink has a spray nozzle I can use for washing dishes and this has always been handy to keep the current cat off the counter. There is just too big a chance that I'll "accidentally" spray him if he gets up there. But I know he hops up on the counter when I'm not around just to prove he can.
By tumblebugPremium member
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 06:46 PM
I use the full auto nerf gun on my cats when they misbehave. It doesn't hurt them. Most times I don't even have to shoot it. I grab it and they run. Works well.
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:09 PM
^ No idea if you are kidding or not but I just laughed out loud so hard when I saw that, that my kitten jumped off my legs and scratched me, LOL
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:47 PM
Edited by Jonelle (199601) on 2011-03-05 20:50:07
Our cat likes to climb all over us when we're sleeping. We have a dog trainer thing that emits a very high-pitched noise, so when he starts climbing on us, we just reach for "The Screamer," as we call it, and he immediately leaves. He's gotten SO much better about not climbing on us ever since we started using that thing. Water doesn't bother him in the slightest, so The Screamer is the only thing that works. Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to get one or how much they cost because my grandpa gave it to us.

EDIT: Just kidding, I found it online. I think this is the same one we have, just a newer model: www.gooddeals.com . . .

ReplySendWatch