Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Okay, so are we not wearing tights to competitions nowadays?!?
By slamdance
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 07:12 PM

I recently sent out my latest packet of info for our next competition (competition #2 mind you)with a list of everything each dance requires.

"But! No one was wearing tights at the last competition" was the reaction my kids gave me and the look that went with it pretty much said I was a dinosaur.
And yes, I agree with them, many of the older girls were not wearing tights in their numbers and especially not for their solos. But many of the girls legs were splotchy from the floor work and had cellulite.
I'm sorry but they're wearing tan tights. What does everyone else think? Am I out of it?

39 Replies to Okay, so are we not wearing tights to competitions nowadays?!?

re: Okay, so are we not wearing tights to competitions nowadays?!?
By dancengroovegirl
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 07:28 PM
I honestly hate the no tight look. I require all my dancers no matter the routine to wear tights it just looks cleaner.

So your not alone.
By CarabosseKPremium member
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 07:52 PM
I hate it too!
By brynneth
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:13 PM
No tights make me cringe... it's just wrong.
By RileyA
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:16 PM
We ALWAYS wear tights. Here in Australia it is quite rare to see dancers not wearing tights, that look doesn't seem to have become popular here.
By balletstar05member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:17 PM
Tights. Always! I don't like the no-tights look at all.
By tcssomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:25 PM
I require tights. I don't want to chance any accidental crotch shots.
By missingcharmin
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:32 PM
In some of our dances they don't wear tights. It depends on the costume. yes, some of the girls don't look the greatest but if tights are worn with certain costumes I think it looks weird.
By slamdance
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:42 PM
Well, do you think the shorts look under the lyrical dresses automatically implies there should be no tights? (This is the argument from my kids of course.) The catalog girls don't wear tights with the dresses with the shorts under them. But the catalog girls are also airbrushed and/or have perfect bodies.
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:48 PM
I think all costumes look absolutely fine with tights. There are soooo many different skin tone shades these days, footless, stirrup, ect. IMO, if you want it to look like there are no tights, there is a tights option out there for you.

If you have shorts, you can still wear tights. The shorts are not covering their legs!! :P I'm big on uniformity. Tights provide uniformity by making everyone's legs the same color.
By slamdance
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 08:50 PM
I wish there was a "like" button on here BalletStar :)
By rockthehouse
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 09:23 PM
Yes I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinion on this. Our senior dancers are totally trying to get out of wearing them. I said heck no!! The choreographer of some of their pieces don't want them to wear them. I will have the final say. Just wondered what people are doing these days. I am always a little behind the times as it seems!!
By beachlover2Premium member
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 09:40 PM
I am for sure saying "wear tights" and no exceptions! I am still giggling about tcsso's comment about the possible crotch shot! Too funny but oh so true.
By ChristinePremium member
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:33 PM
I always have everyone wear tights. Even the little kids. I know other studios use cute little ankle socks for the littles but this is a DANCE school.

It isn't just about the crotch shots for the older girls. It is an issue of protecting their veins. Dance puts an incredible amount of stress on the vascular system and the compression tights offer aid in blood return.

Don't let the teenagers run the studio. They aren't nearly as smart as they think they are.

Keep On Dancing*
By Dancer904Premium member
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 07:58 AM
My students will be wearing tights! I hate the no tights look & wont allow it from my dancers!
By Mandance
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 08:14 AM
Definitely tights, I hate the no tights trend!
By lynzdanz
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 09:39 AM
Dance tights are a must.... With all skin tones out there it is just a cleaner look!!!
re: Okay, so are we not wearing tights to competitions nowadays?!? (karma: 1)
By Frogdogdance
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 09:58 AM
Well, looks like I'm going to be a loner here, but I don't mind the no-tights look. I come from a strict ballet upbringing, then got a degree in modern dance. In college, I was known as the resident bun-head, and some of my more "organic" classmates made it their mission in life to get me to cut off my long hair & ditch the tights. Well, the succeeded in getting me to loosen the bun into a ponytail and to trade the tights for shorts, and you know what? I did make a difference in my modern dance technique & performance. I felt freer, and danced that way. I remember being amazed that changing my attire could have such an affect on my dancing--such a simple, relatively insignificant thing!

So years later, when I opened my own place, I longed for the discipline of my ballet upbringing, with every kid in their class color leotard, hip belt, and severe bun. Tights are of course included in that package, and our image on the comp circuit that first year reflected it.

The older girls, though, begged me first to let them wear their hair down--that was the new exciting trend at the time. It was appropriate for a couple of our dances, so I let them, and wow, what a difference it made! They felt "cool" and trendy, and they danced with way more abandon & commitment as a result! Since, in my opinion, their dancing is even more important than their look (although I do wish to present them looking polished), allowing them to do "hairography" was a small price to pay for the dancing I got in return!

The next thing was switching our shoes from Pedinis to Dance Paws. That one was a no-brainer for me, because their balance was better once we got rid of the heels that tended to slide from side to side. They felt hip, and they danced with greater vigor because of it. I did hold out on my decision, though, telling them they had to radically improve the use of their feet if they wanted to highlight them with Dance Paws. They held up their end of the deal, so I did too! We rarely get comments about bad feet anymore--yay!

The latest thing was the tights issue. At first I was not in favor, my traditionalist sensibilities offended. However, because I've also got modern dance experience, I'm aware that not all professional theatrical dance requires tights, or even considers them the norm. It's open to interpretation. In addition, SYTYCD has been very inspirational to my kids, and while they put their dancers in some costumes that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole for my kids, I do hope my kids will want to emulate their dancers' commitment, open-mindedness, and performance quality. So when my kids wanted to ditch the tights for certain routines, wanting to be like their SYTYCD idols, I again made them the deal that if they would commit and dance full-out like those they admire, I'd let them lose the tights. Small price to pay for the dancing they gave me! Nothing like a little incentive to get what you want--both for them and for me!

FYI, we not only take jazz & lyrical to competitions every year, but we also take hip hop, tap, ballet, & pointe. As things stand now, we occasionally use tights for jazz & lyrical, always for tap that's done in dresses but never for tap that's done in pants, never for hip hop which we always costume in pants, and always pink tights for ballet & pointe, regardless of the costume or music choice.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:49 AM
Our girls are required to wear tights under booty shorts, even if they're wearing them to class.

One of our girls I think has kind of taken to the tight-less look, because I've seen her go without a few times. And I won't even try to lie - I saw her dance a small group, she wasn't wearing tights, everyone else was. And I couldn't tell you a thing about the routine they danced, because I spent the entire time wondering why the other three girls had orange legs and she didn't. :/

Definetly NOT a fan!
By vfdtPremium member
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 01:25 PM
RileyA wrote:

We ALWAYS wear tights. Here in Australia it is quite rare to see dancers not wearing tights, that look doesn't seem to have become popular here.

I was really surprised to read that, as I've gotten on Grant Davies (mega-studio owner in Chiswick, Australia) email list, and he's always posting his YouTube videos with his young "champion" dancers in bare-legged bra & panties look. They're the ones who journey half-way across the world to Las Vegas Comps, to show off their flipping choreo, complete with 15 spin leg-grab pirouettes.

And apparently, I'm not the only one who bought one of his "Think like a Champion, Dance like a Star" motivational DVD's, as in his latest email he brags: Learn how I built a list of over 20,000 dancers online and how I turned that list into $24,000 in 24 hours. By helping dancers improve FAST!

Young impressionable teens think nothing of emulating their idols on exploitative TV shows like SYTYCD. We should know better: sex sells, and edgy choreographers will do anything to get known, by pushing the envelope. I won't ever permit bare legs for all of the reasons stated above. Plus, I think it's uncomfortable, having costumes riding up your bare rump, or elastic pinching your crotch.

As for modern dance, yes it's known to be done barefoot, but years ago, at least in Martha Graham photos, it was mostly performed in long dresses? It's a different look being pushed today, sorry to say.
By kaylahpearlPremium member
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 02:19 PM
Competition wise no tights for modern or lyrical is fine though right?
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 03:23 PM
It's my personal choice on the tights thing - I grew up in the strict ballet school and then moved on to a college that was very traditional musical theater. We had classical ballet and jazz classes and tap in high heels, old school broadway style. The classes I teach are a reflection of my upbringing. I did very little modern or ushy-gushy contemporary/lyrical or hip-hop.

I can understand no tights in a TRUE hip-hop dance, when the kids are wearing capris or pants. I could possibly understand no tights in a tap dance wearing pants. I personally would not have my dancers in shorts or a short skirt and no tights, but I could understand and appreciate someone else's choice to do that IF everyone in the group had amazing legs and were well-covered in the crotch area and it was a natural-type of dance. The thing is, I think the above criteria is rare, but I have seen it.
By missingcharmin
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 04:09 PM
I have to say this... When you see a dancer's leg muscles without tights on... It is beautiful! The shape and contours are magnificent. That's why I don't mind costumes without tights. It really shows off the muscles. That being said, sometimes there are dancers in a dance you don't tights with, but their tightless legs are distracting because you don't see what you know you are supposed to.

anyway, different colored legs don't bother me. I'm surprised to be in the minority. Oh well.
By cheerspirit
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 04:13 PM
It depends on the number for us. Our Modern dancers for sure never wear tights, as well as most contemporary numbers. If a jazz or lyrical number calls for barefoot or foot paws then NO tights. I hate the look of unfinished tights (in stirrup or capri form). If they are wearing pedinis or jazz shoes then almost always wearing tights.

Hip hop and Tap don't wear tights, however they always have their legs covered. I cannot stand seeing tappers in booty shorts.

I would say Ballet ALWAYS wears tights, but this year our senior dancers are not. They have on black dresses and each have a different color of pointe shoes. We tried it with tights and it looks more contemporary without.

We always get great comments from judges on our costumes and appropriate attire/steps.
By msconnie
On Mon Mar 07, 2011 06:28 AM
The no tights trend is one that I will not follow. I hate the no tights look
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch