Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Okay, so are we not wearing tights to competitions nowadays?!?
By val21gal
On Mon Mar 07, 2011 09:15 AM
I hate a judge at a competition this weekend comment, "I would rather they were not wearing tights." Lame.
By BrashDancer
On Mon Mar 07, 2011 09:36 AM
missingcharmin wrote:

I have to say this... When you see a dancer's leg muscles without tights on... It is beautiful! The shape and contours are magnificent. That's why I don't mind costumes without tights. It really shows off the muscles. That being said, sometimes there are dancers in a dance you don't tights with, but their tightless legs are distracting because you don't see what you know you are supposed to.

anyway, different colored legs don't bother me. I'm surprised to be in the minority. Oh well.

I agree, Body lines are beautiful and when I see a strong dancer in biker shorts and a half top I don't think of it as sexual or trashy. I see mody lines, muscles and that I think is beautiful.
Should all dances be bare legged? No. certain numbers look silly without tights and vice versa.

What Really bothers me are the dances that go onstage with tights but their bare foot so they are in stirrups or the have rolled their tights up to be footless. All I see is that rolled up tight andnot the actual dance. IMO I think it totally breaks the line of the dancer's leg to have tights on without shoes...but that's just my issue, :)
By TexasgirlPremium member
On Fri Mar 11, 2011 09:25 AM
Some very good points made on both sides, and I do agree about the beauty of lines. But when it boils down to it, I'm a purist at heart, and we do everything in tights, and always will for the foreseeable future.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Fri Mar 11, 2011 02:12 PM
My reply would be, "My students wear tights. I do not follow trends, I start them."
By tinydancr
On Fri Mar 11, 2011 04:13 PM
BrashDancer wrote:

missingcharmin wrote:

I have to say this... When you see a dancer's leg muscles without tights on... It is beautiful! The shape and contours are magnificent. That's why I don't mind costumes without tights. It really shows off the muscles. That being said, sometimes there are dancers in a dance you don't tights with, but their tightless legs are distracting because you don't see what you know you are supposed to.

anyway, different colored legs don't bother me. I'm surprised to be in the minority. Oh well.

I agree, Body lines are beautiful and when I see a strong dancer in biker shorts and a half top I don't think of it as sexual or trashy. I see mody lines, muscles and that I think is beautiful.
Should all dances be bare legged? No. certain numbers look silly without tights and vice versa.

What Really bothers me are the dances that go onstage with tights but their bare foot so they are in stirrups or the have rolled their tights up to be footless. All I see is that rolled up tight andnot the actual dance. IMO I think it totally breaks the line of the dancer's leg to have tights on without shoes...but that's just my issue, :)

I could not agree more about the lines and the beauty of a purely muscular body. That being said every dance, every dancer is different. If I have one student who just SHOULD NOT be bare legged then they all wear tights. It also depends on the costume for sure. I admit I will do stir ups with dance paws because I HATE gore boots. I cannot stand the look of rolled up tights I thnk it looks sooo sloppy.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Mar 11, 2011 07:52 PM
The only time I ever went without tights during my own dancing days was in acro routines and the reason for that was because the tights made it difficult to grip for pyramids and such. Our costumes were generally shorts (though longer than the current trend) with some kind of top. Once we had full unitards and that was a little tricky for grip but the lycra wasn't as slippery as tights were.

I like the look of no tights if the dancers are extremely fit but if not, the tights help to improve the look of the legs.

Helen
By californiadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 12, 2011 06:10 PM
I think it depends on the costume, and also it has to do with a change in the times as far as costume trends in jazz/modern/lyrical go. I mean if we never embraced new costume (or tight) ideas we would all still be wearing unitards for every jazz number, high cut leotards with legwarmers in neon colors, and whatever other trends came out in years past. Dance is ever evolving and so are the costuming choices and ideas about accesories, undergarments etc.

I personally love the look of plain black tops and shorts with no tights, or plain black leotards and shorts with no tights, BUT I would not costume an entire number that way unless all the dancers had the body for that look.

This year I am taking two dances with no tights, one dance with cropped fishnets, and two dances with tan tights to competition, I vary it depending on cdostume and style. I also personally hate the rolled up tights look, though I am guilty of using it in the past. :/
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sat Mar 12, 2011 06:16 PM
I think that the point is not the trend, but what the teacher wants them to wear and the fact that they are trying influence the teacher. I wore what I was told because that is the way of the world. Kids today feel too privileged.
By thadancer
On Wed Mar 23, 2011 01:19 AM
I hate this, I don't want to see crotches all weekend. And the excuse that they cannot find good tights is lame.

Oh, and I am tired of seeing minorities with tights that are horrible on them. Bottomline, SO's stop being lazy find the proper color and call it a day.
By jms9t2
On Sat Apr 14, 2018 02:34 PM
I had this issue with a couple students at competition this weekend so I read through this thread to see other perspectives. I very much want the girls to wear tights and they are absolutely opposed. Seven years after this was originally posted, where does everyone stand on the tights at competition issue now?
By Sumayah
On Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:20 AM
We are a no tights studio, we always have been. Even before it was on trend to do so. We were a contemporary studio before contemporary was a category. Our costumes tend to be low key and show off lines and shapes, we get a lot of dresses from Forever 21 and stores like that. We look for texture and movement that compliment the dancer. Tights aren't needed. However, we are a big fan of leggings, for what it's worth. It just depends.
By yxseminx
On Tue Apr 24, 2018 02:34 PM
Feeling like the only dancer here rather than dance teacher but at my studio in England its 'you choose'. For competitions in troupes, groupes and trios, the teacher decides the costume and what we wear on our feet and legs but with most duets and solos, its wear tights if you want to or bare legs if you want to. A couple of my friends do acro solos and they don't wear tights with them and the juniors barely ever wear tights, even for ballet (socks, shoes and tutu). That being said, in troupe dances, if the teacher wants us to wear tights, we wear tights. It's more so of us looking the same rather than the whole bare leg issue.

However, in our biennial show, it was absolutely 100% tan tights for everything (apart from ballet even with quick changes!)

Obviously I can't speak for every dancer or studio owner in England and I'm sure if you asked my teachers, they'd have a different view but that's just what I've taken from how my studio does things.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 01, 2018 09:44 PM
The no tights trend has hit our area pretty hard. All I can say is...people. Do right by your kids.

If you've picked a costume for long torsoed girls, and you don't want them wearing tights - make sure it's a full cut leo. Saw a girl this season that was one muscle twitch from showing everybody EVERYTHING. Nothing she was going to do on stage was that level of important!

Saw a different girl this season. Probably pushing 300 pounds. The number was costumed with a leotard open down to the waist line, and no tights. PEOPLE. Do better by your kids! In both cases, even if you were going to stick hard to the "no tights" thing, choices were made that suited those instructors interests, rather then those kids. The kids are the important ones!
By Sumayah
On Mon Jun 04, 2018 02:59 PM
Yeah, context helps I think. Here's an assortment of costumes from our last show - and several of these were competition pieces. We show our dancers off and sure, some of our soloists had performed in a bra top and hot shots or trunks, but that's a very individual basis. Our group costumes go with the movement, the dancers, and the music - and if they have bare legs, so be it. But yeah, leggings, not tights up in here.
By GabriellaJ
On Thu Aug 02, 2018 08:33 PM
I think it depends on the dance types. I like no tights, strictly, not too tights. But the tight can show clearer about your movement. I guess that's why they insist on the tights in competitions.

---
Love dancing, yoga, traveling.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch