Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

I need advice on college dance plans... PLEASE HELP!
By alisondance
On Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:24 AM

So, I have a few questions... I hope someone will be willing to offer their opinion. :)

First of all, I am a senior in high school and I live in NC. I've danced for fourteen years and have gone to a "competition studio" and a "dance conservatory". I'm trained in ballet, tap, jazz, hip-hop, lyrical, modern, pointe, etc.

Anyways, I was just accepted as a dance major at the University of South Carolina. I am sooooo excited, but am trying to decide what to do about college plans. My choices are:

---Go to USC, which will cost about $8,000 more per year, where I will double major as a contemporary dance major and a pre-pharmacy major. This will let me join a company one day and will give me a degree in dance.

---Or, I could go to UNC Chapel Hill where I would try out for the dance team. Chapel Hill's dance team is ranked third in the nation though, and I don't know if I will make it.... I would major in pre-pharmacy here, as well.

The biggest problem is that I have to tell USC if I want to major in dance before I audition at Chapel Hill.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

Please help(:

Alison

Also, I'm REALLLYYYYY nervous for the audition (if I choose to do the dance team), and I was just wondering if anyone could give any advice about what I should wear to the audition? Also, how should I format my resume?

4 Replies to I need advice on college dance plans... PLEASE HELP!

re: I need advice on college dance plans... PLEASE HELP!
By dancer_meggs
On Sun Mar 27, 2011 01:44 AM
From what I've noticed, most colleges have a set uniform they want you to wear for dance team tryouts. I personally would go to UNC Chapel Hill because of the name recognition (I was looking at this school when I was in high school, so I'm being highly biased) I am actually surprised they don't offer a dance major. You sound like you've already made up your mind and want to go to USC. I don't think there is a wrong choice here. Do you mean you have to give USC your decision to go to their school or not before auditioning at Chapel Hill? When it comes to something like that you have to consider academics over dance. Good luck!
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 27, 2011 08:45 AM
You can tell a school what you want to major in and then change your mind. When is the dance team audition and when do you have to make a final decision of which college you are going too?
By KB_dancer
On Tue Mar 29, 2011 07:13 PM
I personally think you should attend USC. It's getting a college dance degree VS being on a college dance team. Which will get you farther in life? I think the answer is obvious. As for the $8,000 difference, youcan get a student loan or scholarships.
By DancinDM
On Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 PM
Personally, I believe that a degree in dance is way more useful and helpful to your dancing as an ART FORM. While dance teams are made of athletes, dance majors learn way more about anatomy, dance history, artistry, choreography... etc.
It's not what type of dancer are you...

It all boils down to what type of dancer do you want to be. An athlete? An artist?

ReplySendWatch