Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Variations
By slnicholas
On Mon Mar 07, 2011 04:17 PM

I am preparing my dvd for a summer intensive audition and i was curious as to where to find the choreography for the kitri variation for example or do i have to watch it online and mark it?

2 Replies to Variations

re: Variations
By hummingbird
On Tue Mar 08, 2011 08:37 AM
You could buy a DVD or watch one of the many versions posted on youtube.
re: Variations
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 08, 2011 09:11 PM
Do you have a teacher who can teach it to you? When the same sort of question came up in this forum a couple of years ago someone mentioned that traditionally it gets passed down, in person, from generation to generation so just learning from a video isn't the same thing. That's true but in today's world getting it passed down in person may just not be practical.

Now, when my daughter learned the Kitri variation years ago, the head of her studio handed her a video with a former student, now part of a professional company, performing the piece. Once she had basically learned the choreography, he then scheduled some sessions with her to coach her so she would do it as best possible.

I might, also, mention there's more than one famous choreographer's version of Kitri. And other famous ballets. And no, one, teacher comes close to knowing them all! So, although there are no formal studies on the subject, I'll bet more students today learn more variations from videos than they do from their teachers.

But if you can get a teacher to help you polish it that would help.

ReplySendWatch