Forum: Arts / Photos - Members

Photos - Members
New headshot
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Mar 15, 2011 09:43 PM

I have an audition next week and needed a new headshot. Because of lack of money and being on spring break my mom took about a hundred pictures of me hoping one would be good enough. This was the best one.

The second one is that same image in black in white since this audition requires a black and white head shot (boo!).

12 Replies to New headshot

re: New headshot
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:15 PM
Since I've done a bunch of theatrical head shots when I did pro work, I'll comment. I think this is a great shot of you Majeur (yes I do know your real name LOL), but I'd do a bit of photoshoping to get the ribs of the siding and the black screws in the siding on the building to be a bit less obvious. A high key portrait (which is what this is) is usually done against seamless white backdrop paper. BTW a low key portrait is against a dark somber back ground...think "Rembrandt" portraits. I might suggest doing some manipulation to get the background to be just all white. You can also crop in a bit closer as in a head shot you don't need that room at the top and sides.

Jon
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:49 PM
The photographer at school did a shoot with all the senior dance majors and the pictures weren't very good.

The first 6 are the ones the school photographer did. The last one is the one my mom did re-cropped. I don't have a photo editing program that does anything fancier than crop and change the colors. I might download gimp and try to fix the background.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:39 AM
I agree! Mom did a better job! Kudo's to Mom!

Jon
re: New headshot (karma: 3)
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 06:32 PM
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2011-03-16 18:31:01
Edited by imadancer2 (146568) on 2011-03-16 18:32:46
Hello! So I'm no photoshopper, but I thought I have time so I might as well give it a go.
It's no where near perfect at all, but I thought I would post it anyway (really, this is my first time cloning like this). The second is the same as the original you posted but with the smoother-background and the first is the smooth background in #2 and in b/w. It's not completely white though...the third is with a completely white background, but unfortunately like I said I'm no pro at PS so the edges are kind of bad :(
Really, this was just me wanting to get some practice, I don't expect you to use them or anything, but maybe the second will give you somewhere to start?

best of luck with your audition(s)

edit - so they're not showing up on here (hopefully in a while they will) but I'll check back later tonight and if they are being weird I'll post them to my blog or something and post the link
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 07:29 PM
I think the first one imadancer posted looks great! Nice, smooth background, and you look lovely majere :)
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 08:06 PM
Aw, thanks!
re: New headshot (karma: 2)
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 PM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2011-03-16 22:06:28 spelling
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2011-03-16 22:07:29
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2011-03-16 22:19:04
Here is my attempt. I used Paint Shop Pro X2.

I did some color correction to the face to remove some blueish effects. I kept the color of the siding, but used a clone tool to get rid of the creases in the siding. I cropped it a bit closer.

Then after I saved that, I make a black and white (technically a "grey scale" reduction); then I stepped up the contrast a bit.

Jon
re: New headshot (karma: 1)
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Thu Mar 17, 2011 09:56 PM
I love the version Jon did. I've cropped them closer again as is more in line with current headshots.

Helen
On Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:04 PM
You guys are all so awesome!
On Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:32 PM
Yep Helen (Oz Helen) that's even more like what I see in lobby shots for the professional theater which is just up the road from me. They really crop those 8 x 10 lobby photos close.

Somewhere around here I have a book I bought some years ago (about 25 years ago) on the whole subject of taking headshots which was done by supposedly THE guy in New York at the time who did these things in the NYC theater district. I had done some for local equity actors who had part-time jobs as extras for the various "Washington DC" based movies such as "Broadcast News."

Unfortunately I had retired long before the "West Wing" was on TV as I heard that they used quite a few local small role actors for location shots and extras for mob scenes.

Jon
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 PM
Just have to say that you just get prettier and prettier. I believe the expression, "Peaches and Cream" was coined for you.

Keep On Dancing*
By calligirl13 Comments: 19, member since Tue Apr 12, 2011
On Mon Apr 18, 2011 02:38 PM
I think that is is a great idea to have head shots, I even carry them with me at dance class, and even to competitions,.. You never know

ReplySendWatch