Forum: Arts / Photography - Artistic

Photography - Artistic
Nikon or Canon?
By Rachel_n Comments: 103, member since Thu May 27, 2010
On Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:41 PM

Just wondering :)

I LOVE Nikon!! I'm shooting with a D50, but I'm trying to get a D3000 :)

11 Replies to Nikon or Canon?

re: Nikon or Canon?
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2426, member since Tue Feb 20, 2007
On Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:02 PM
I have a Canon Rebel XSi which I LOVE. Can't say anything about Nikon because I've never used one before. I would love to get a Nikon DSLR at some point in the future. I had two different Canons before my Rebel so I got the Rebel because I knew how to use their cameras (or at least most of the settings lol) and price was the other major point too....I got my Rebel on Ebay and even what I bought it for was pushing what I could afford...
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 AM
*END OF WORLD MUSIC*
Haha, the debate is never ending (and gets pretty heated for no reason at all. It's pretty silly, but it's mostly all in good fun making fun of each other.

Me? I'm a canon gal. Either way is awesome; I'm not one of those "oh you shoot nikon I don't like you anymore" type of people. From what I understand canon's video is hard to beat (like video recording on DSLRs, the canon 5D mkII was used to film an episode of House last year). A pro photographer in the area shoots only nikon, but I once had a conversation with him and he said he was very interested in getting a canon 5d mkII for video.

I hear nikon has some incredible high ISO in their pro line (like the D3S, but at $5000 USD you would hope so, haha). Also, lots say the grip is better.

Both of these include both in part
A why Nikon forum post:
froknowsphoto.com . . .
And a Why Canon:
froknowsphoto.com . . .

Before I had so much money invested I would go back and forth over which I though I would prefer, but they both have strengths and weaknesses for sure.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 03:04 AM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2011-03-16 03:04:32 eye karnt spel
I'm a Nikon person - I've got a Nikon D70 and Coolpix for myself, and use a D90 at work. But I'm actually kicking myself we went for a Nikon for work, rather than a Canon5D, because the video quality is unsurpassable (I do video as well as still photography).

But I'll always love Nikon. :)
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 04:19 AM
I don´t think it really matters quality wise. It´s just a question of personal taste and which camera type you had from the beginning (because it´s clever to stick to one brand, not only that you learn how to use the manuals for THAT brand, but all other equipment only fits to the brand you had from beginning).

I have always had Canon, so I stick to Canon.
By moara Comments: 955, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 06:44 AM
I have several friends who love their Nikons.
I had a Canon Rebel XTi/EOS, and was underwhelmed. Although, that was mainly because it's got a greater diameter [something], which makes it not really suitable to attching to a microscope, but I guess that's not something the general public is bothered by.
By Rachel_n Comments: 103, member since Thu May 27, 2010
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 09:48 AM
I've heard the same thing about the Canon video, my mom was a pro photographer for a while. Now we have moved and she's working semi pro now :) She went to go buy her D80 and the guy told her that she wasn't allowed to get the D90 because the only thing that's different about the two models is the 90 has video. So if you are looking into getting a new camera, that is something you need to look at.

I REALLY want a D3000!!! Its the one my dad and I want :) So if I get he's going to use it too :P Sorry about the rambling, this is one of my favorite things to talk about and I get so excited when people want to talk about this kinda stuff lol :)
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 09:50 AM
Pros will use one or the other, and it mostly depends on what lenses they had before the digital switch, or what they are familiar with.
Both are great. Both have amazing quality. Believers of either will tell you why their's is better, but honestly, there's not much difference.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 AM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2011-03-16 11:28:19 Syntax
I'm a retired pro photographer. In my career I have used both Canons and Nikons (and also Pentax, Minolta, Mamiya, Hasselblads, Rollies, Olympus, Yachica etc. etc.)

They all work (well not Minolta now...they got out of this business)

When I taught photography as an adult education subject, I used to hear these arguements all the time...mostly from people who never brought tany actual photos to class. One guy used to bring shots of lens testing charts. Ooooh was that exciting...NOT! They were color slides. Shoot the lens test with a $500 lens (in 1970's prices) and then project it in our class room on a $50.00 projector!

I happen to have a Nikon D80 digital SLR now. I bought it because it was on sale at Costco and Canon was not. If Canon had been on sale that weekend (but not Nikon) I would have bought the Canon. I was going on my first (and so far only) trip to Europe two days later.

I used to tell my class that I thought all this chatter about what brand of camera someone used was like Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald having a discussion at a joint lecture about what brand of typewriter each one used. [I don't know if Fitzgerald and Hemingway even knew each other.]

I once had Canons (in the 1970's.) All my Canons were stolen in 1977 and when I got my insurance settlement I contacted the estate of a former student who had died shortly before my theft. She had Nikons and I bought the entire photographic portion of her estate (some of her cameras were brand new, never taken out of the box.) And that was how I first became a Nikon photographer.

They are both excellent cameras.

Jon
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Mar 19, 2011 04:22 PM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2011-03-19 16:23:53
Nikon all the way!! I have a N80, a D80 and a D300S...I love them all.
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Sat Mar 19, 2011 04:27 PM
Nikon. I have a D40, a D3000 and a D300s. Quite honestly I've never even picked up a Canon to be able to say "oh but my cameras are so much better". My D300s is my baby though, so easy to use even in comparison to the D40.
By Laura2011 Comments: 28, member since Wed Apr 06, 2011
On Sat Apr 09, 2011 04:29 PM
Canon all the way for me....I have the canon digital rebel I love it and wouldn't trade mine for anything.

ReplySendWatch