Forum: General / Computers - General

Firefox 4 is here
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 08:01 AM

Not the beta version - Firefox is launched fully.
That's all I can say. It's new to me too.

16 Replies to Firefox 4 is here

re: Firefox 4 is here
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 01:21 PM
FA?
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 01:28 PM
Google chrome ftw.
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 01:56 PM
I have been DYING to switch to chrome, but I can't live without my firefox extensions. But I have to say, I'm pretty happy with v4. Performance and speed have been GREATLY improved since v3.6. And firefox just changed their development plan to release smaller but more frequent updates (like chrome) instead of monolithic, yearly updates. Hopefully, that will keep it competitive with chrome and ie for the next few years.

Oh, and slightly off-topic, if anyone has 64-bit windows, do NOT use 64-bit IE (v9). The 32-bit version is actually really fast, and it scored quite well in all the tests (as did chrome, firefox 4, and opera). But the 64-bit IE was TERRIBLE! I just thought I'd mention it because it was the exact opposite result than I expected.
re: Firefox 4 is here (karma: 1)
By Sumayah
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 02:14 PM
Firefox Four is new
Menu Bar hidden away
Consolidated

I'm definitely a Firefox girl, I hate IE and I just can't get behind Chrome - I've tried. I even played with Opera. So I do like the improvements to Firefox, it's just going to take some getting used to.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 02:44 PM
Am I the only person alive who wants to smash Chrome with a hammer?

It's so slow and laggy on my computer. And, granted, my laptop is a POS (getting a new one tomorrow, thanks to lovely Mark), but it takes FOREVER to load pages, if I switch out to a different tab while I am loading another and then come back to the tab I was loading, it shows me the page I was on for sometimes up to a minute before finally switching to whatever it was I was loading.

About the only thing I like about it is that it runs each tab as a separate process - which is probably PRECISELY what my lappy doesn't like about it.

(And yes, I have complained about ALL these issues to Second Boyfriend, but he's like "oh, I don't work on Chrome, I can't help you, tralalala")

Firefox, for some reason, does not like to run Gmail, but at least it does not make me homicidal.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 04:29 PM
It sounds like your issues are system-wide. Those aren't typical problems with those browsers. Are you using windows? I have a few suggestions if you're interested. Also, if your computer is old and slow, you might want to give ubuntu a try (if you haven't already).
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 25, 2011 01:34 AM
Edited by Scarlet (194795) on 2011-03-25 01:38:51 YOU CAN'T HIT CHROME WITH A HAMMER, IT IS BINARY. JUST POUR BEER ON THE COMPUTER BUT DELETE SYSTEM32 FIRST... :P
If one of those suggestions is buying a new one we're way ahead of you! :P

I've tried Linux on one of our older computers, it was fine until I got drunk and smashed it. But with this one we're going to backup our media first and then I'm going to have a bit of a play around. If we had the startup discs (I'm sure they're around somewhere) I'd just format and start again (and pray that the fan doesn't fly apart).

But yes, the problem is system wide, caused by a bit of PEBCAC (it's had two primary users, one had an addiction to Limewire and other funny little programmes).

Mark
By QueensJennmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 25, 2011 07:25 PM
I think I might be the only person on earth who hates Firefox. I'm not even sure why, I just don't like it. Safari FTW!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:00 AM
I downloaded 4 and I like it pretty well so far. They moved the tabs from under the address bar to the top of the page. One thing that's tripping me up is that when you right click, they changed the location of the option to open a link in a new tab (used to be second, now first) so I predict opening a lot of new windows until I get used to it.

Dani
By dance_starter
On Tue May 17, 2011 11:41 PM
I still need to update to FF4 but have found Crome is much faster for some site because of its V8 Javascript Engine. IE seems do always be behind the eightball.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 17, 2011 11:47 PM
TheMidlakeMuse wrote:

I downloaded 4 and I like it pretty well so far. They moved the tabs from under the address bar to the top of the page. One thing that's tripping me up is that when you right click, they changed the location of the option to open a link in a new tab (used to be second, now first) so I predict opening a lot of new windows until I get used to it.

Dani

Same here. I keep opening windows instead of tabs.
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 18, 2011 09:56 AM
I have the new Firefox 4 since I cleaned my whole computer off, but now it's running really, really slow. Firefox or just my computer?
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 19, 2011 08:54 PM
majere wrote:

TheMidlakeMuse wrote:

Dani

Same here. I keep opening windows instead of tabs.

I agree, I also keep having those problems. Also, if you like the tabs below the address bar, you can change it. Right click in that area and uncheck 'Tabs on Top' and it will move the tabs below the address bar again. Personally, I can't get used to the homepage button being all the way to the right. -grumble-
By sarahbalera
On Fri May 20, 2011 05:38 AM
CaitDestiny wrote:

I have the new Firefox 4 since I cleaned my whole computer off, but now it's running really, really slow. Firefox or just my computer?

Snap! My computer was running just fine until I downloaded Firefox 4 and now its so slow :( I've gotten used to opening tabs instead of new pages but it really annoyed me at first. I also lost some passwords when I upgraded, nothing too life threatening, but a pain all the same.
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 20, 2011 07:27 AM
^I'm glad I'm not the only one :( I thought I had bad luck, I honestly am not liking it so far. I love the tabs but they run so slow.
Firefox 5 is here
By dance_starter
On Thu Jun 30, 2011 03:44 PM
If you haven't already, try Firefox 5. It's a lot faster at loading and has many improvements over 4.

ReplySendWatch