Forum: Folk / Belly Dance

Belly Dance
Who is your favorite famous Belly Dancer(s) and why?
By NOVA_ Comments: 46, member since Fri Dec 10, 2010
On Fri Mar 25, 2011 05:39 PM

Everybody has their favorite dancer for different reasons and I was just curious what everyone favorite dancer is.

10 Replies to Who is your favorite famous Belly Dancer(s) and why?

re: Who is your favorite famous Belly Dancer(s) and why?
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 PM
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2011-04-05 22:14:45
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2011-04-05 22:23:08
I love Autumn Ward for her technique and clean lines when she dances. She's also a really fun dancer.

And I looooove me some Tarik Sultan.

What about you, OP, are you going to share your favorites?

Edit: Oh, and I can't forget Tito. He's phenomenal. And I will also admit he puts a stupid grin on my face.
On Wed Apr 06, 2011 05:07 PM
First of all, thanks for responding to my post. I thought this forum might be a ghost town.

I think Tito has great energy as a dancer! I saw videos of him and I thought he was great. I was lucky enough to see him live once when he was out here one time. I had a such a fun time at that show.

Please tell me who Autumn Ward and Tarik Sultan is. Where are they from? I know some dancers but not all. It seems so hard to keep up with all the dancers and I am more familiar with the dancers from before the 90's. Even then I don't know all of them. And keeping up with all the dancers in the world is overwhelming.

I like the Classical dancers like Tahia Carioca and Samia Gamal, Sohair Zaki and Fifi Abdo, Nagwa Fouad and Mahmoud Reda and Farida Fahmy. I like The early Mona El Said. I know that's alot but I tend to like the older style dancing. I like the Egyptian Style Sharki, Folk Dances, Beledi and Shabbi.

As for dancers over here I like Roxxanne Shelby and Sahra Saeeda, Zahra Zuhair, Tamira to name a few.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 PM
I think Autumn is American. She's been around for quite awhile, but despite her greatness she kind of keeps herself a bit low key so I'm not surprised you wouldn't know her. When I get a chance I'll hunt up some youtubes of her stuff.

Tarik Sultan is from New York and maaaaan can his hips move FAST. That brada plays the zills like they're on fire and he needs the wind current to keep them from burning his fingers. I'll also hunt up some youtubes of him if you want, but if you go into youtube their stuff will pop up quickly.

And Shira is quite well known, also over in Egypt, and I love that she pops into DDN from time to time to say 'hi' to us all.
On Mon Apr 11, 2011 05:17 PM
I do know who Shira is. I've been to her website. I've never seen her dance though. I'll have to look up the others. I use the computer at the library so my time is limited and the library here is not open everyday (Budget Cuts). I try to educate myself but I feel so overwhelmed sometimes. I've been looking up Khaleegy video clips on youtube lately. I like folk dancing!

I always feel like such a dope. I have a friend who seems to know all this stuff and around her I feel like such a dummy. Actually it seems like most people know more than I do or at lease that's what it feels like.

I'm so glad I've had a chance to talk with you. You've always seemed like a nice person from what I can tell. I've always wanted to talk with you. I remember you from a year or two ago. That was the last time I was on DDN. I had to make a new account because I used my work e-mail which no longer exsists now. I am currently unemployed. If you want to look up videos for me I would not object. Thank you. It was kind of you to offer. You perform I assume. Am I correct? What style do you lean toward? Is there video of you? Or do you teach or both?

Sorry to pepper you with questions. I just want to learn and talk about what I love. I hope you don't mind? I hope to hear from you soon.

Until then...Happy Dancing!
By nevroth Comments: 1238, member since Fri Nov 21, 2003
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 04:44 PM
I thought I'd chime in, even though I don't know as much about belly dance as I would like. I used to take classes a few years ago, but other dance forms took priority.

Anywho, I adore Sharon Kihara. I saw her live with the Belly Dance Super Stars maybe 4/5 yrs ago and that's when I became inspired to try the art form. I thought that ATS was so beautiful and different and she really stood out for me. My other favorite belly dancer has to be Aubre because I teach at the same studio as her and besides being an amazing dancer and teacher, she is also funny, sweet, and has a wonderful personality.

Well, that's the humble opinion of a belly dance fan :)
On Fri Apr 15, 2011 05:12 PM
You don't have to be perfectly knowledgeable to have an opinion and I am welcoming everyones. I am not perfectly knowledgeable and I gave mine. That's one of the nice things about art. You can have one even if you are not that knowledgeable. You like what you like and you know why you like it. Everyone has different taste. That's why there is soooo many different types of art and within an art form, so many different types of style.

I know Aubre. I took classes from her before. She a wonderful dancer. She really enjoys what she does. You can tell and you're right she is sweet.

Sharon Kihara must be an American Trible Style Dancer, I assume? Am I right? Clarify that for me will you, please. I don't know most of them because I tend to concentrate on the classics and folk styles. That's just my taste. Belly Dance Super Stars sure seems to change their dancers alot. Or at least that's the way it seems to me.

Do you teach at Dance Garden or somewhere else, Maybe at an Alhambra studio? It looks like from your picture that you may dance Flamenco or Ballet Folklorico? Is this right? What other dance forms do you dance or study? Do you perform? Are you a professional?

Sorry I ask so many questions. You don't have to answer them if you don't want to. I wanted to study Flamenco more. I just took it for a little while and then couldn't continue. I wanted to study Ballet Folklorico but never got around to it. Both my Mother and Aunt danced Ballet Folklorico when they were younger. They performed at a dinner theater that is no longer open.

Well I've hogged the board long enough. I look forward to more posts from everyone but until then...Happy Dancing to all!
By luceroblanco Comments: 789, member since Fri Oct 30, 2009
On Sun Apr 24, 2011 01:11 PM
I like Fifi Abdo.
On Mon Apr 25, 2011 05:03 PM
I like her too luceroblanco! What is it that you like about her?

I like her feminine strength that shows when she dances. It's like I am woman hear me roar but she does it in a way that is totally feminine and beautiful, without being B*!#$%. She really has a beledi connection! I love how earthy she moves. And she is such a nice person from what I've heard. She does so many nice things for the people where she is.

Why do you like her luceroblanco?
By luceroblanco Comments: 789, member since Fri Oct 30, 2009
On Mon Apr 25, 2011 05:33 PM
I have only taken 2 series of classes and 1 weekend workshop on belly dance so far. That amounts to about 20 live classes. So I'm not an expert. I don't know why I like Fifi. When I watched her and some of the other Egyptian belly dancers, there was just something special about her and that just seemed to be so balanced and authentic. The way she moved just spoke to me. I guess, if I were to ever get that good, I would want to dance like she does!
On Fri Apr 29, 2011 05:43 PM
I would love to dance like she does, but I don't think that will ever happen. I am me after all with different dance training and the body doesn't lie. I dance like me, not her, although I would like to dance like her. I will just have to continually admire her from afar. But it is good to be different too. After all if we all danced the same what would be the excitement in that? It would be boring and bland. Dance like many other art forms has many variations and is always changing. That's what makes it so alive, so exciting!

I'm glad you've found someone that you like that can insire you and make you want to aspire to more. I have had many years of training but that doesn't make me an expert. There is always more to learn. You never really stop learning. I'm not an expert and I doubt I ever will be but everyone has an opinion, and everyone has a right to an opinion. Thanks for posting and sharing your opinion with me and contributing to this discussion board. I appreciate it. I really do!

I hope you continue dancing and enjoying dancing and studing dancing. Good luck and have fun with your dance studies! Hopefully we will meet up again on the boards or in chat.

But until then...Happy Dancing luceroblanco!

ReplySendWatch