Forum: Arts / Artwork

Artwork
I made this card & would like a critique.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Apr 03, 2011 08:58 PM

Oh my gosh! I can't believe this is working! How cool is that?

Okay, since this forum is a little dead, and I was told my cards were art and should be posted here, I am doing just that. I make and sell greeting cards among other things. Here is a card that I made to sell. It is embossed. For those who don't know, it's stamping a card w/clear stamp ink for embossing, then sprinkling embossing powder on it. You tap off the excess and then heat it w/a heat gun, which melts the powder and you get this really cool image. I'd like some feedback please.

10 Replies to I made this card & would like a critique.

re: I made this card & would like a critique.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:51 AM
Looks very cute!

The only critique I'd have is that the spacing between the bottom leaf and the polka dot strip seems a bit close, in comparison to the top one.

other than that, it looks great! Very cute and the differant patterns fit well together.
On Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:58 PM
You know what? Your right! I think I just stamped it to close and couldn't do anything about it before I embossed it. Thanks for the comment!
On Fri Apr 29, 2011 01:00 PM
I too liked how the patterns fit well together. That is a peacock feather. I love that stamp. My sisters company is the Proud Peacock and I used that stamp on a pair of socks for her.
By Fleur_ Comments: 24, member since Wed Jun 01, 2011
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 04:51 AM
I love the feather and colours. Maybe the bottom feather is a little bit low (touching the dots ribbon)....but maybe that's the look you were after. Anyway it's beautiful and I'm sure who ever recieves it will adore it!!!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 03:47 PM
The off-center layout and other tiny imperfections are what I like MOST about this design. It makes the card look handmade. If it were perfectly centered, it would look like it came from a factory. I think it's absolutely perfect. I love everything about it.
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 08:38 PM
Thank you Fleur and Panic. I can't remember if I did that on purpose or not. Sometimes things just happen and I like how they look and other times I am not sure. The card opens up in the front just in case you didn't know. I also love to emboss which is how the feathers are done. However, using a heat gun in the 90 degree weather can be a pain. I have that card for sale.
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 09:50 PM
Good point Panic!
I can see what you mean, handmade qualities are a nice touch. I know one that I can never do anything perfect!

I can see what you mean with it opening up and I understand the pain (literally) of hot glue guns (if that's what you're talking about!)...I've burnt myself soo many times.
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 PM
I know that you can get burned w/hot glue guns. I don't use them although they have cool ones now. What I mean by heat guns is one you use to melt embossing powder with. It is sold on stamping sites and at hardware stores. My dad sometimes borrows it to strip paint and I'm not sure what else. It gets very hot and has melted some of our plastic table cloth. That's what I mean about using it in the heat.
On Thu Jun 02, 2011 05:50 PM
Okay I've never heard of them before. Maybe one day I'll try one it sounds pretty interesting.
On Thu Jun 02, 2011 07:16 PM
It's so much fun to use. The embossing powder heats up and turns to what you see here. It's so cool to see the powder change. My nephew & niece both freaked out when they first saw it happen. It is pretty cool and adds something to the card. I'll post more!

ReplySendWatch