Forum: Creative Movement

quick list of kids 'dance games'
By d_ance
On Wed Apr 06, 2011 04:17 PM

Hi all,

I've just taken hold of a class with 6 yr olds (a couple of 7 yr olds too) they are a cheeky bunch. In the past my classes have been preteens so this is a bit of a change.

I need some suggestions on FUN DANCE RELATED GAMES TO PLAY IN CLASS. The games need to complement building their dancing technique, confidence or performance skill (to keep parents happy!)

I really have no idea. They need to be fun, quick (not take up too much class time (30min jazz; 30 mins tap).

Anything will do just chuck your ideas straight at me!

Any games in a circle are a good idea too, so if you have any let me know please!

d_ance

14 Replies to quick list of kids 'dance games'

re: quick list of kids 'dance games' (karma: 1)
By RosePremium member
On Wed Apr 06, 2011 04:38 PM
I am sorry you ask for 'fun dance related games, which need to complement building their dancing technique, confidence or performance skill (to keep parents happy!)

Why not 'dance exercises kids like to do'? And you don't do them to keep parents happy, but because you as a teacher want your kids to develop.

I say this because kids classes become more and more game classes. But kids can and want to learn! They are open for so many things.
When you call anything 'game', they don't feel like they learn something. When you call anything 'exercise' they know they are learning something, and when you say 'well done!' after it, they feel so proud!

Your kids are 6, 7 years old. Old enough to learn. If you say to them: "You are now old enough to do this exercise...", it will built their self esteem, you can see them grow!

In general, kids don't mind to do (boring) exercises as long as you add a fun part. That is simple: let them do an exercise 3 times, and the fourth time they have to 'dance like a ballerina'. Or 'clap in your hands 8 counts, and be quiet for 8 counts'. Or 'run to the next corner in 4 counts and make a pose in 4 counts'. Or 'show me your most crazy/ugly/beautiful face'.
They look forward to that, and you get them to do 3 times a useful exercise that helps them to develop as a dancer.
re: quick list of kids 'dance games'
By stargaze
On Wed Apr 13, 2011 09:10 PM
fantastic response Lidwina. I think there needs to be a sticky about dance ideas to incorporate in classes, especially for our wee ones. Everyone is always asking about this....just not sure how to create said "sticky".
By MissS
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 AM
I have what I call a "game" that I use with 3-5 year olds. The kids refer to it as the airplane game. In all reality the game helps them learn the name of their steps and makes it fun for them in the process, they see it as a game and actually ask to play it.

I sing to the tune of Frère Jacques but replace the all of the words with thinss like, chasse, chasse, bourre, bourre, clap and clap, clap and clap, running like an airplane running like an airplane and free space. Then we start again and I ask for different steps. Free space is them posing anyway they want.

I also add things like directions, hopping backwards, turning in a circle, etc. It accomplishes my objective of them knowing the names of steps and they are having a blast. I have even had some of the parents ask about the airplane game. Everytime I've explained they laugh, because their kid wants to playit at home and the parent doesn't know what it is. Hope that's one that you might find helpful
By dncqueen
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:09 PM
I've made my own dance game that I have used with my preschoolers. On note cards I wrote down terminology and combinations learned. We all sat or stood in a circle and then one-by-one they came and took a card from the pile. They showed me the card and I told them what was on it. Then the child that took that card did the combination or item stated for the rest of the class. After the child performed it, the rest of the class joined in. This took about 5-10 minutes.

It was a great review of what we have learned this year so far and they all loved it!!!
By danceteacher716
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 02:42 PM
I have also done the note card thing. The kids love it and as the year has gone on I make the children read/pronounce the terminology (especially ballet) on the card. Everyone gets a stamp when they do the step correctly...they LOVE it and would play all class if I let them. I have 17 kids in a class so this does take more than 10 minutes...but once in a while I think it is fun and a real learning experience for them.

Others- I say up-stage, down-stage, stage right, stage left and the kids have to run to the right spot...

4 corners- using the 4 corners of the ballet floor one child covers eyes ad counts to 10 other students have to choose a corner (1,2,3, or 4) and stand in it. The counter calls out a corner...those kids are out!

Creative Movement- give each student a flower...they pick a place to be a "seed" on the dance floor and when I "water" them with a scarf they can create their own "magic flower dance in the magic flower garden" as the song winds down the flowers get sleepy and lie back down and rest. This one is amazing when kids are acting wild. It calms them right down...if they are being especially out of control taking your time to "water" them gives them a minute or two to really relax and calm themselves.

happy dancing!
By MissChristine
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 03:38 PM
skip rope!!!...teaches basic jumping technique and reinforces pushing from the floor as well as timing, and ecarte'. Lets not forget timing, as I make them hold 1,2 - run into the jump rope in 3,4 jump 4xs 5,6 7,8 1,2,34.. and run out 5,6,7,8.

Hopscotch, but make them push through the feet w/ each jump!

Take your jumprope, lay it on the floor and hold it tight..make the girls bourree on it, or jete or assemble.

glissade from flower to flower

pas de chat over beanie babies
By DestinationDnCr
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 08:35 PM
We leap from color to color pretending that the studio is flooded with water and the color spots are rocks (we need to go quick and with one foot or the rocks will sink!)

I use unlit candle sticks for our pas de chat. We sing "Jack be nimble" nursery rhyme (plie stretch plie stretch, plie pas de chat, plie stretch)

We also do hop scotch ;)
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 23, 2011 07:19 AM
I play Ballet Simon Says with my kids this age. They absolutely LOVE it.
By danzter7
On Sat Apr 23, 2011 07:47 AM
The game my girls love the most is "going to the beach" we touch the water to see if it´s cold (piques) we swim standig up or on the floor,skip kicking the water, look for shells (creativity), chase out of the water....
some days we go to the circus, the forest,etc
By darlin_dancer
On Sat Apr 23, 2011 02:08 PM
Tried the Frère Jacques game today with my girls that have begun getting bored with across the floor. Worked miracles. The very last combination across the floor (with my 5-7) I let the girls do their own Combo & We sang "Princess, Sparkles; Princess, Sparkles- Fairies too, Fairies too, Magic, Magic Magic; Magic, Magic, Magic- Take a Bow, Take a Bow". Was a huge hit. Thank you for the idea MissS- I was getting so stuck!
By ChrissyC
On Mon May 02, 2011 06:24 PM
Used a couple of these at my last class. Very well received and a much needed change of pace. I know little ones need repetition and structure, but I was feeling a little "stuck". I have 3s and 4s...I added the Ballet Simon Says, and the watering of the seedlings. You all are such a wonderful resource and really get my own creative juices flowing. Thank yoU!
By Stareblueeyes22
On Tue May 03, 2011 06:15 AM
I also used the Frere Jacque rhyme! I wasn't even sure my students all understood some of the terms I was throwing at them (the first time I used it was in a now 3 year old, but most were 2 when the class started) and I didn't even have to demonstrate... they all just started immediately! So great. They even were throwing out ideas by the end. One little one says can we do plie plie, tendu tendu, port de bras, port de bras? How cool! Thanks for a great idea :)
By lavieenrose
On Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 PM
For 6 year olds

* "Crazy 8's" - dance for 8 counts, clap for 8 counts (helps w/ musicality)
* Freeze game - skip, chasse, whatever for awhile to music. Then, turn music off and everyone find first position (or retire, or 2nd or position of your choice). Sometimes we add balance competitions on to this (just remember that form matters!)
* "All of my dancers have gone to sleep" - this is a huge hit. Say, "all of my dancers have gone to sleep and when they woke up, they were..." find appropriate music for each type of animal or thing. My own kids ask to play this at home all the time!

I also do the "go to...upstage, downstage, corner 4" game, but that's usually a pretty quick one whereas I can really draw the others out.
By StudioSally
On Thu Jun 16, 2011 07:59 PM
Truth or Dare- for truth I ask them terminology questions. For dare I dare them to show me a dance move. For double dare I ask them to show me a harder dance move.

For tap I break them up into groups and give them a nursary rhyme. They have to come up with a small combo to match the rhyme (each sound in the rhyme gets a tap sound). The other girls have to try and guess the rhyme. 6 is the youngest I do this with. You will have to demonstrate a few times with this age group before turning them loose to be sure that they understand. If they don't all understand it will be a disaster. But once they get it they love it.

Simon says with dance moves. (replace Simon with your name. They think that is sooo funny for some reason. Lol)

Mother May I with dance moves. (aain replace mother with your name)

ReplySendWatch