Forum: Adults / 40 Something

40 Something
Zumba
By Gloxinia Comments: 21, member since Wed Apr 06, 2011
On Tue Apr 12, 2011 02:28 AM

I have heard there is these new dance fitness classes started, and being a bit in the larger side, loosing weight, but could do with toning up and getting more fit, so considering starting this. However, got a dodgy back and wonder if anyone who's tried Zumba know if it would be suitable for someone with a tendency to put their back out? Can you dance at your own pace?

2 Replies to Zumba

re: Zumba
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2129, member since Sat Jul 20, 2002
On Tue Apr 12, 2011 07:36 AM
Hi! I am a Zumba Fitness instructor so feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Zumba is a latin-inspired dance fitness class. It is a great way to get in shape - it is based off the concept of interval training which is one of the best ways to help participants lose weight. With Zumba, you go at your own pace and modify the moves as you need to - we want you to be safe but also have fun. I would make sure you tell the instructor so she or he is aware of your back issues, and they can offer ways to modify their specific moves for you. Also, Aqua Zumba may be a great fit for you if you like to be in the pool - it is done in chest-deep water and the moves are a little slower to fit with the resistance of the water. I have many participants in my Aqua Zumba classes that have back, knee, or foot issues and they love it because the water prevents you from putting so much stress on your body but you still get a great, effective workout. If you check out zumba.com and click on find a class, you should be able to type in your location and find many classes near you to try. :) I hope this helps, like I said feel free to ask me more questions if you have them!

-SLBdancer
re: Zumba
By Gloxinia Comments: 21, member since Wed Apr 06, 2011
On Fri Apr 15, 2011 02:19 PM
Hi SLBdancer and thank you for a very informative reply! :)

I like the sound of Aqua Zumba and will definitely look into it.

Thanks again :)

Lillian :)

ReplySendWatch