Forum: General / Travel - Photos

Travel - Photos
My Hawaii trip
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:01 PM

As promised, some shots of my recent trip to Oahu.

It was a great trip, overall, although I had some problems. I flew standby and going was fine but coming back, it took all day Monday to get a flight home. On a bright note, while killing time in the Honolulu airport, I discovered duty free fresh picked pineapples and got two boxes to bring home. Score! Shopping I also discovered prices to be not nearly as overpriced as my home airport.

Also, a week into the trip, I threw out my back. Badly. While dealing with the pain, I also came down with a nasty bout of food poisoning, most likely from the luau buffet. No. Fun. It's bad enough to have food poisoning on a vacation but combined with the back pain, I was almost done in. (Maybe it was the Tiki I bought, ala Brady Bunch, lol.)

My home doctor was good enough to call in some prescriptions for me and I recovered enough to enjoy the last day of my trip at Ko'Olina and then make the trip home.

The long trip home definitely was the cause of a rebound in my back and I'm having a lot of pain still. If this doesn't clear up soon, I'm going to have to have to look into some kind of serious back therapy.

Anyway, aside from those problems and a lot of rain, it was a great trip! But I'm glad to be back in my own bed and I hope my back eases soon. And I have some nice fresh pineapples to enjoy.

Pictures attached.

kk~

6 Replies to My Hawaii trip

re: My Hawaii trip
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:06 PM
That beach looks a lot like the beach I was at! We stayed on the north shore of Oahu for a week, at a backpacker's inn type place, really nice big studio room with small kitchenette.

I'm sorry to hear about your back, but I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! I loved Hawaii, you practically had to drag me onto the loooonnggg flight back home...
On Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-04-13 22:11:22
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-04-13 22:13:03
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-04-13 22:14:47
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-04-13 22:17:54
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-04-13 23:06:43
Well, poo. Pictures didn't load except for one. The above shot is the beach at Ko'Olina.

OK, here, the first pic is The Punchbowl Cemetary.
The second is Diamond Head viewed from The Punchbowl.
#3 is Kaneohe Bay. The tiny island is nicknamed the Chinaman's Hat.
#4 is The Arizona memorial.
#5 is the oil seepage from the sunken Arizona they call Black tears.
#6 My dad and the USS Missouri.
#7 Waimea Falls. The size is disceiving in this shot. If you look closely, you can see a swimmer or two in the foreground.
#8 Lovelies at the luau.
#9 This hybiscus was literally the size of a dinner plate.
#10 Houkilau!

OK, enough for now. Back hurts. Bah. :( More later

And yes, Nienna. It's always hard to leave Hawaii!

kk~
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 02:56 AM
Aw, I'm sorry your trip was spoiled :( Definitely look at that back sooner rather than later, I've never suffered with my back myself but it must be awful.

Lovely pictures!!!The first one looks really moody - did you have good weather? Ohhhh I really can't wait now! I'm especially loving the landscape photos - we don't really "do" museums and man-made things for the most part, we like "views" and wildlife and such, so every time I see a pretty picture it gets me giddy. There's a Waimea Falls on Kauai too :)
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 04:16 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-04-14 16:21:08
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-04-14 16:22:35
Louise, I thought about you and how sick you got on your last trip. I'm thankful mine isn't so serious. A visit to the doctor today says that I have most likely pulled a muscle in my hip and thigh, rather than anything truly in my back. I'm on Lidocain patches and I feel sooo much better!

And now a few more pics.

The first is the view out my relatives' backdoor. They live in Waipahu. It was nice to stay in a residential area rather than the hotel in Waikiki, like I did last time I went.

#2 A proud peacock! Don't know who the kid is, lol.

#3 Kaneohe Bay. You can see the sandbar. We played on those sandbars a long time.

#4 This is Sydney. My relative's sweet, yellow lab.

#5 The garden at the Dole Plantation.

#6 A rare white bird of paradise.

#7 A Hawaiin hottie at the luau.

#8 Another shot of Waimea Falls.

#9 This little guy was just hanging out.

#10 that tree with the strange root system. It was huge!

I wanna go back already. :(

kk~
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Apr 15, 2011 03:08 AM
I'm so glad there are lizards! I love seeing lizards. Tim's got a thing about monkeys - the other week, about ten minutes after lights-out, he suddenly piped up "do they have monkeys in Hawaii?" I said no, and he said "oohhh" like a sad toddler.

I digress. Cute dog! The gardens look lovely, I'll be dragging him to a botanical gardens whether he likes it or not.

But #6...that's a bird? Really? :O
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Apr 15, 2011 09:17 AM
^Bird of Paradise is a type of bloom. They are usually orange-red.

I'm sorry to hear of your back pain, kk. Hugs! Love your pics. :)

ReplySendWatch