Popular Jazz

What is the best dance school for jazz in NYC? by Padmini
I would like a school with a jazz class for beginners.

Forum: General / Travel

Travel
Nice places around Freiburg/anywhere in Germany? en>fr fr>en
By amarathPremium member Comments: 5926, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 04:01 PM

Hi everyone!
I'm going to be in Freiburg in August, taking classes at the Goethe Institut there. I've been to Germany twice, but only for very short periods of time--I went to Frankfurt as a kid and I spent a few days in Munich last summer, but that's it. I liked what I saw (but I didn't see so very much.) So I'm pretty much a blank slate!

Does anyone have any cool suggestions for places I could go, either on weekends or after classes? I should have morning classes, since my German isn't so great, and last year when I was in France sometimes I took a bus or a train to another town for the afternoon and it was really nice. I'm also looking for suggestions for weekend trips, for places that would be nice to go and hang out in for a few days. I know Freiburg is right next to the Swiss and the French border, but I think I'd prefer to stay in Germany, since I don't have a lot of time and I think I'm going to spend a week in Paris in July.

Any ideas? Thanks!

4 Replies to Nice places around Freiburg/anywhere in Germany?

re: Nice places around Freiburg/anywhere in Germany? en>fr fr>en
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2092, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:13 AM
Well I am not sure how far you are wanting to venture off from Freiburg... I lived in the northern states of Hamburg, Schleswig Holstein, and Mecklenburg Vorpommern (I currently am studying in Canada), so if you are wanting to go anywhere up in those areas I will be able to give you tons of information. I will try to help you out the best I can from the times when I traveled around the country.

In the Freiburg area I definitely recommend going on some hiking tours through the Black Forest. Titisee-Neustadt is a small town not far away from Freiburg where I went a couple of years back. It is kind of a holiday town where you can go swim in the lake, hike some trails, and do other kinds of summer activities.

You should probably try to make it up to Stuttgart if you can. It is the capital of Baden-Württemberg (the state which Freiburg is in) and it is really beautiful.

Also, something that is probably a good tip is that you can buy a "Baden-Württemberg-Ticket" for the train which allows you to go anywhere in the state for 21 Euros (for one person) or 29 Euros for up to five people all together! So if you find some friends it can be less than 6 Euros per person to travel to the far ends of the state! So remember these deals so that you don't book a trip which would cost like 35 to 40 Euros normally when you can get it super cheap! (The other states have this deal as well).

But let me know how far you are willing to travel or if you have any questions about specific places!
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10636, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Wed Apr 20, 2011 08:06 AM
Come to Berlin, even though it´s quite far.
But you could meet me (if you go there second half of august). :D
By amarathPremium member Comments: 5926, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Mon Apr 25, 2011 07:29 AM
I think it might be fun actually to do Berlin and then to do the rest in Baden-Württenberg. That ticket sounds really awesome--so cheap! I figure that I'm not going to have too much time, because I should be flying in like the 28th of July and flying out the 27th of August, so I want to get in as much as I can around the area. In France, I saw just about everything there is to see in Provence, and I really liked being able to say that I'd seen so much of it, rather than a little here and a little there. I was looking at wikitravel, and it seemed like a lot of places were within 2 hours on train or bus (and then Berlin, 8 hours on the slow rail) so that'll be OK.

So Black Forest, definite yes? It seems like that part of the country is a lot like Provence, in that it's sort of a holiday area--is that true?
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10636, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Mon Apr 25, 2011 08:15 AM
I just realised i`m in berlin full august, so whenever you plan your trip to that city, chance is very high I will be there. :D

ReplySendWatch