Forum: Folk / Flamenco

Flamenco
Favorite and hated palo, anyone?
By nevroth Comments: 1238, member since Fri Nov 21, 2003
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 04:38 PM

It's been nearly a year since anyone has posted/responded to this board! Oh well if it's just me, but what's your favorite and/or hated palo?

I love most of the palos, and pick favorites depending on my mood, lol. Definitely Caracoles and Tientos.

I finally tore down the wall I had attempting to do Bulerias. I used to HATE that palo, and I would literally feel sick to my stomach and dizzy whenever my director would have us do our solo for fin de fiesta. It only took 2 years, but now even if I forget what I wanted to do, I can improvise fair enough and keep the compas and closures, phew.

I don't care for Tanguillos so much, even if it is happy and perky. I think it's because we're using castanets and the tempo is just quick enough to make my fingers and forearms want to fall off.

Oh well, anyone else?

*crickets*

lol...

2 Replies to Favorite and hated palo, anyone?

re: Favorite and hated palo, anyone?
By dforeman Comments: 98, member since Tue Mar 23, 2010
On Fri Apr 15, 2011 02:30 PM
Yeah, someone is finally posting on this forum ;)

Hm...loved and hated palos?! Well, I can't say that I <b>hate</b> any particular palo (<i>yet!</i>). There are a couple that I don't have or feel a connection to, so can take them or leave them. I would say Soleá and Seguirilla are the most "meh". I find both a bit too somber for my liking. I also get a <i>little</i> bored with Tangos.

I enjoy dancing/listening to Fandangos, Alegrías, Guajiras, and Seviallanas.

There are quite a few paolos that I'm not incredibly familiar with though, so I'm sure in a couple of years I will have changed my mind entirely! ;)
re: Favorite and hated palo, anyone?
By nevroth Comments: 1238, member since Fri Nov 21, 2003
On Sat Apr 16, 2011 02:16 AM
Oh wow, dforeman, it's good to read that you're still into flamenco, woohoo!

I've only done a workshop in Solea, and it was too short to form a definitive opinion on it.

Tangos got a lot more fun for me when we started doing it fin de fiesta style where everyone gets a chance to do their own thing. Also my director has been encouraging us to sing and so I know a few, ah... refrains? choruses? whatever those are called between letras- I can't believe I forgot the name just now, lol. I know two simple letras and it's really fun to sing in a group.

I love the Sevillanas, definitely can't go wrong with that, it's so much fun and can be changed as long as it stays within it's frame. Have you ever watched some of the Sevillana competitions on youtube? it's cRaZy! lol. I'm learning to sing a few Sevillanas, but so far only one down, lol.

Fandangos is very beautiful too, I would love to learn a version with a shawl *dreamy eye*

If you like Alegrias, you will like Caracoles- it's in the same family and has the same rhythm but the melody/cante is a bit more flowy. Also the Romeras is in the same family and I think is the most flowy and pretty of all.

And even though it's not flamenco at all, I'm completely in love with Escuela Bolera- I'm learning the Seguidillas Manchegas, and I can't wait to perform it. Hopefully I can coerce my director into making us wear traditional costumes lol! Hopefully the Sevillanas Boleras is in my future too :)

ReplySendWatch