Forum: Advice / Strengthening

what do you call this?
By justwanttodance
On Tue Apr 19, 2011 05:00 PM

4.bp.blogspot.com . . .

what do you call this? I can never seem to do this! I have been told your legs have to be a certain width to to balance out but i can't

2 Replies to what do you call this?

re: what do you call this?
By JigsawPuzzle
On Wed Apr 27, 2011 09:23 PM
I'll reply because no one else has... I am no expert, just letting you know what I have learnt over the years.

This position looks kind of like a cobra stretch but with her raised arms above her head.

It takes a lot of back strength, and also core strength. A LOT! Sometimes I try to get into this position and when pushing up with my hands I can get close to this and then I lift my arms off the ground and I fall to a much less impressive height :P

Good luck with reaching great heights!
re: what do you call this?
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 02, 2011 06:40 AM
I'm no gymnast either, but in our layman ballet-speak, we call these 'back-ups'. Not only do you need to have your legs a certain width, you also need loads of back and leg strengh.
We start training for these by doing assisted back-ups. Lie on your front (face down, legs together) and have a friend sit on your calves to weight your feet down. then hands apart (like a T-shape with your body) and raise your head then back up. - then slowly lower down. Repeat x 4 (or 8 or 16 or whatever!)
You'll realise that without the friend on your feet, its almost impossible to get up. As your back strength increases, you can get your tummy higher off the ground, and finally won't need your friend to sit on your legs - your leg and abs strength will keep your body balanced.

Good LUCK! P.S. the movie 'the company' with Neve Campbell, has one dance almost completely made of these backups, its very impressive :)

ReplySendWatch