Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Wanted

Sculpture artist looking for help via photos of an adult female dancer from knees down
By dougblock
On Thu Apr 21, 2011 07:51 PM

Hello all
I am working on a couple of sculpture pieces that will be cast in bronze, and also carved out of marble. They are of a ballet dancers leg(s)foot/feet en pointe. I have the single foot piece well in hand but now I need a correct dance position where there is leg contact above the ankle for the two leg piece. One foot en pointe and the other off the floor but legs touching as I mentioned. Looking for a set of photos front, back, and both sides of the same position. I would also appreciate any comments concerning what I should know with regard to posture/position shape of the foot etc so the finished sculpture is correct in a dancers eyes. The Joffery Ballet was kind enough to provide the shoes but they came without the ribbon so I also need to know how wide the ribbon tie should be.
I sincerely appreciate any assistance!
Doug

7 Replies to Sculpture artist looking for help via photos of an adult female dancer from knees down

re: Sculpture artist looking for help via photos of an adult female dancer from knees down
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:06 AM
The Internet is full of pictures of legs in pointe shoes. If none of them suffice, I would suggest you get in touch with a local dancer at the Joffrey Ballet and get her to model the positions you're interested in.

Sorry to say, but there are plenty of creepy guys online who go onto chat boards and ask women to send them pictures. So far, you are indistinguishable from them.
re: Sculpture artist looking for help via photos of an adult female dancer from knees down
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:37 AM
Greenpumpkin brings up a good point--that it is difficult to trust a new member's intentions, and we've had "creepers" on this site before. However, I don't think that you follow the same pattern as them, and I'm inclined to take your words at face value.

Still, I think his suggestion of finding someone in your area would be more appropriate for you. Talk to a local company, or perhaps a local studio, to see if they'd be interested in helping you with such a project. Of course, you'd want credibility for them so you might take your portfolio as well as prepare your thoughts as to WHY you want this piece to be created. Even local colleges might have dancers willing to help out. Also, viewing the positions in 3D might give you a better understanding than just 2D images.

As for the ribbons, go to a local dance shop and ask to buy some Pointe Ribbon and Elastics, so you can have a visual of them--you can also work with tying them and see how the knots turn out. I believe they are usually 1'' wide, and tying them is practically an art that all pointe dancers learn their first year of pointe dancing.
By Trout
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:47 AM
Yep, I am going to third the suggestion of finding a dancer in real life. Not that I'm accusing you of being a creep, because your request seems like it could possibly be legit, but the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title was 'oh boy, another creep.'

I have sculpted in the past. I think finding a person to pose in real life is a great idea because you can understand the mechanics of getting into that position. It's one thing to sculpt from pictures, but another to see a person go from flat to en pointe and see how the feet work to get there. Also, seeing feet in 3D can give you a lot more ideas for specific details, such as bone structure.

Finally, if you have a person pose in real life, you could take pictures for yourself and get all the angles you want.

Once the sculpture is complete, it would be great if you could post it on Dance.net. We would be more than willing to critique your artwork. It's just the matter of sending photos of feet that won't sit well with this community. Hope you understand.
By dougblock
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 01:22 PM
Thanks for the comments. I will try to find a local dancer but frankly I thought that might freak them out. This way seemed a lot less weird to me. For me to show up with a camera and ask for photos...doesnt sound to good to me. But if I ask for someone to provide them...well then they have all the control.
I also want to be sure the positions are correct in every respect.
I live in small town USA so there are not a lot of local options.
I would have posted a photo of the work already accomplished, but I am new here so that is not permitted. Tho this subject is a departure for me you can see my work at NativeNation dot c o m
Thanks for the willingness and guarded trust.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 01:45 PM
Of course "Showing up with a camera" wouldn't be the best way to approach your situation. The proper procedure would be to call up point of interest (such as a dance department at a nearby college, a local company...) and tell them that you are an artist, working on a sculpture of a dancer's feet, and you are looking for some qualified people to show you the proper way to position the feet and to make sure you have proportions correct. Then ask if they would have any interest in helping you out (and if you can give them something in exchange, like a professional-looking enlarged photo of the work that they can keep or something like that) or if they know of someone who might be willing to spend an hour or so with you, showing you the positions and the movements to make sure you have it right. Again, that's why I brought up having your portfolio and "why this piece is important" on hand--most artists(dancers) are more than willing to help out other artists(sculptors), but you just have to properly introduce yourself and express what you want and why you want it.

You'll find that members receive more trust the more/longer they are involved in the community. You'll learn that as you continue to be involved--as I hope you will.
By dougblock
On Fri Apr 22, 2011 04:21 PM
Thanks again, but I prefer to make my benign request for photos from some willing collaborator here for now. It just seems so much simplier to me. Certainly I will provide photos to anyone participating and interested in the finishd work.
By aerial
On Thu May 19, 2011 07:00 AM
Google images? Ballet terminology websites might have pics. With the internet and the huge amount of photos already on it I am positive you can find something to reference without having to creep people out.

ReplySendWatch