Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
Is there a big difference between Swarovski and Preciosa stones? (besides the price) en>fr fr>en
By twinkle_toes__ Comments: 966, member since Sat Nov 04, 2006
On Thu Apr 28, 2011 05:04 PM

I'm looking to add more crystals to my dress. I originally used Swarovski but they're so expensive I only added about $75 worth, about 300 30ss stones or so.

Should I add more Swarovskis and go with the 20ss because they're cheaper, or should I add some 30ss preciosas? Is it possible that you could tell the difference between 30ss swarovskis and preciosas?

Thanks everyone!

10 Replies to Is there a big difference between Swarovski and Preciosa stones? (besides the price)

re: Is there a big difference between Swarovski and Preciosa stones? (besides the price) en>fr fr>en
By carlow63 Comments: 339, member since Fri Jan 14, 2005
On Thu Apr 28, 2011 06:37 PM
You might want to rethink where you're buying your Swarovskis from. I bought 2.5 gross (360 of them) for $40 from Dreamtime Creations about a month ago.

I ended up using some 30's and some 20's. My daughter prefers more small stone for lots of shimmer.
re: Is there a big difference between Swarovski and Preciosa stones? (besides the price) en>fr fr>en
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2039, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Fri Apr 29, 2011 02:39 AM
I'll admit, i'm a rhinestone snob, and i can sort of tell the difference between the two brands (depending on the color), but in all honesty, i think if you have one brand on your dress, that you should stick with that brand and don't switch. They might catch differently in the light, etc.

All in all, there is a small difference. Swarovski seems to be the best seller, and Preciosa is sort of the more "cost-efficiant" stone. Both shine beautifully, although again, i admit, nothing shines as brightly as a clear Swarovski crystal (lol).

Try shopping around, it sounds like you really over-paid for those crystals. Dreamtime creations, as mentioned, is a great place. shop around a bit and see what options are best, $75 for 300 (about 2 gross) is way too much. I'm lucky, and live near the Los Angeles Fashion District and can get a full gross of 30SS Swarovski Clear crystals for about $12, and the most i've spent on crystals was $300 (but i bought A LOT of small AB crystals, as well as a nice handful very large ones too which are always pricey).

have fun adding more bling to your dress! I think i see an opportunity for some before/after pics!
By lightfoot_champmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 791, member since Wed May 24, 2006
On Fri Apr 29, 2011 04:23 AM
hey im not too sure if there is much of a difference, but a good friend who knows alot about crystals (she currently workds for swarovski) told m that there are other crystals out there better suited to dancing costumes. i can't remember the name but i know they were from chech republic. i was told that the way they are means that while swarovski sparkles more close up, these ones seem to be sparklier from a far meaning they are better for use on stage, they are also cheaper.
like i said im not sure i havn't used them myself but if someone who works for swarovski was telling me this then i assume it to be true

jono
By AussieLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1129, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Fri Apr 29, 2011 04:53 AM
^I'm interested! Could you post the name of the crystals here when you find out?
By FanciieeFeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 425, member since Mon Jun 07, 2010
On Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:52 PM
I don't think there is much difference between them, I just brought 1440 preciosa stones and they are stunning, i have had a dress with swarovski crystals before and they were pretty much the same. But i agree with saoirse3473, you dont want to go mixing brands because they may catch the light differently
By rincevt Comments: 15, member since Wed Aug 19, 2009
On Fri Apr 29, 2011 07:01 PM
Here is a link to where you can find the Czech stones. The company is fabulous to work with, you have to order over the phone, but their shipping is extremely prompt.

www.rhinestoneguy.com . . .

I believe they are quite competitively priced as well.
They also state the difference between the Czech Preciosa and Swarovski. "[Czech Preciosa] are especially desirable in costumes where "flash" is important, and our choice for belts and leather wear...somewhat harder than Swarovski - Phil's Choice for Costuming and any garment meant to be seen at distances farther than 4 feet. The Crystal is about 1/4 degree less bright than Swarovski, the colors are excellent, and the AB versions are terrific."

Hope this helps!
By tututango Comments: 22, member since Thu Jan 03, 2008
On Sat Apr 30, 2011 04:26 AM
From my experience, the Czech crystals are lovely and less expensive. I can't remember where I bought them, but I read that one of the differences between Czech and Swarovski was the facets (the tiny cut edges on each stone). The Czech crystals have less facets but the ones they have are larger so they give off greater flashes of light. Swarovski facets are smaller but numerous - beautiful up close, but more "twinkle" than "flash".
By RinceorNosretep Comments: 994, member since Fri Oct 23, 2009
On Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:06 AM
^^ Ha I was actually going to post a link for the rhinestone guy, that's where I bought some crystals from for our class adult dresses and they really are awesome! And cheap :)
By Catherine6 Comments: 73, member since Mon Nov 01, 2010
On Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:34 AM
I personally like the Swarovoskis they are much clearer. The Preciosa stones feel gritty and dirty. They may look ok from a distance but I wouldnt buy them again.
By Sweet_Annabelle Comments: 480, member since Mon Jun 16, 2008
On Mon May 16, 2011 10:58 AM
I second Dreamtime Creations. Their prices are pretty good (compared to buying locally for me). and they send freebies sometimes. I got a free rhinestone color/size chart one time (for swarovski and preciosa!). It's great for trying to decide what size/color rhinestone to add to something new (or figure out what size an unmarked stone is).

ReplySendWatch