Forum: Arts / Debates

Release Bin Laden pictures?
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed May 04, 2011 10:31 PM

The debate is going on every where else so I guess we should join in.

President Obama announced that the U. S. would not be releasing pictures taken of Osama Bin Laden, immediately after being shot in the head.

There seem to be strong opinions on both sides.

How do you feel about this?

Keep On Dancing*

23 Replies to Release Bin Laden pictures?

re: Release Bin Laden pictures?
By imadanseurPremium member
On Wed May 04, 2011 10:43 PM
I don't really care one way or another. If I had to pick a side I would say no because it will get all these soft heart people sympathizing with him and how bad we are for killing him while we were at war. Really do you think he was just going to get hand cuffed and come with the soldiers? Yeah right. *eye roll* So to prevent crazy people from getting even crazier and disagreeing with the way justice was served, I vote no.

Comment #9551781 deleted
Removed by d4j (104724) on 2011-05-04 23:37:00 need a break from ddn

By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 05, 2011 12:02 AM
Why in the heck would any one who is not involved in the situation need to or want to see the photos? I am flabbergasted by why anyone would feel the need to see the photos.

Photos should not be released. I've never heard of anyone benefiting from seeing photos of people who have been shot in the head.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 05, 2011 12:57 AM
The only "benefit" to showing the photos is that it will prove he was actually killed. However, in actuality that wouldn't prove anything. Conspiracy theorists aren't going to be swayed by a picture. After all (they will claim), how do we know it's him and not a lookalike to placate the public?

I clearly am against it. I don't want to do anything to stir up his followers and put our soldiers over there at risk.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 05, 2011 01:09 AM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2011-05-05 01:10:07
I do want to see it, and will remain twiddling my thumbs until it is released... or, more likely, leaked!

Quite frankly it isn't that easy to fake a photo. Since they released the info that they buried him at see I've wanted some proof that I can see with my own two eyeballs.

I would have felt much better about it if they'd done the sea burial after announcing they'd caught him. I understand why they didn't. ...but it's just way too convenient. It would make me feel better to see some proof instead of just taking their word for it.

I think all the fuss is overhyped. There wasn't retaliation when the photos of Saddam's sons and Saddam's execution were released, and it lends an additional bad taste if Obama doesn't follow that precedent.

US media is traditionally a lot more uptight than other countries'. What we consider "graphic" foreign journalists wouldn't bat an eye at.

But I have no doubt it will be leaked soon. There is no keeping that one locked up.

Oh, and if you hadn't noticed... I'm insatiably curious about everything. So there's that. haha.
By Lauretta
On Thu May 05, 2011 04:12 AM
After hearing a description of the photo, I do not want to see it. If it does come out and I do accidentally see it I will probably have nightmares for quite a while, given the description and how i've reacted to similar (but less graphic) images in the past.

Whether it should be released or not I can't really formulate an argument on. From a personal point of view I think it's the right decision, but on a more general level i'm unsure.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 05, 2011 05:16 AM
There wasn't retaliation when the photos of Saddam's sons and Saddam's execution were released

Saddam was a dictator, not a terrorist.

People claimed the footage of Saddam's execution was faked so I don't see what difference it makes whether they release the OBL pictures or not. People will either believe or they won't believe.
On Thu May 05, 2011 09:55 AM
I'm not really sure how I feel about the decision. Personally, I'm glad the photos weren't released by the U. S. government. The conspiracy theorists are never going to be satisfied, even if they had been in the "live feed" room. I do agree however, that eventually someone will put them out there.

There are old photos of the "Wild West" showing notorious "out laws" in their coffins, and I find that even these are distasteful. I don't see any good that will come from the release, and I do agree that it would be "grandstanding" for the U. S. to hold up the video as an accomplishment.

It would have been better for everyone if the Pakistani government had arrested him years ago and turned him over to be tried at the Hague. They didn't. Instead they choose to continue the two faced diplomacy they have used for years. For that matter, Afghanistan could have done this on September 12th of 2001 after he released his "bragging" video where he expressed such delight at the unexpected success of his plot.(He stated that from what he knew of engineering, he expected the top of the buildings to be destroyed but never expected the heat of the fires to melt the supporting structures and implode the buildings. He was JUBILANT! Never a kind or sympathetic comment for the innocent victims...some of whom were Muslims!) Given the choice, America would rather not engage in a ten year man hunt, tons of money, countless combat deaths, ultimately risking their most skilled men to attempt to capture him.

If those who supplied him with safe refuge had done the right thing, we wouldn't be having this debate.

Keep On Dancing*
On Thu May 05, 2011 11:02 AM
Saddam was a dictator, not a terrorist.

Semantics. Plenty of people claim he is a terrorist, as terrorists use, well, terror to control people. There's no set definition for "terrorism," not even among political scientists.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 05, 2011 11:06 AM
Ok, forget the word and talk about the men.

Osamaa led an organisation aiming to disrupt and destroy western life on western soil.
Saddam wanted to hold onto power in his country.

Are we REALLY surprised that there was no retaliation after the death of Saddam? I saw live pictures of Iraqis beating the crap out of his statues with their shoes - many of them were glad he was ousted. No-one in Al Qaeda is going to be glad that Osama is dead, except maybe one or two who fancy the commanding role. To say that there'll be no retaliation now because there wasn't any before, isn't logical.
On Thu May 05, 2011 11:15 AM
I've often wondered about the mothers of the 9/11 terrorists.
I wonder if they wish their son's had never been drawn into the web of OBL.

I have five sons. I would be heartbroken if one of them killed themselves and so many other people. I think that over the last ten years, some of the women who gave birth to those boys must have missed them, wondered what they would be doing now if they lived, mourn for the wives and children they left behind following their successful brainwashing. I just doesn't make sense to me that something as basic as the love of one's own child could be obscured by zealotry.

Keep On Dancing*
By aerial
On Thu May 05, 2011 12:17 PM
Edited by aerial (12777) on 2011-05-05 12:20:16 added
I think it was wise not to release them. We really don't need to tick off any more Countries. At the same time how many videos have been released of our people getting slain, having their heads chopped off. And how about getting to watch all the wonderful footage of people jumping to their deaths out of the WTC. But I guess someone has to be the bigger person here.

Personally I want to see them, not to prove he is dead, but because of sick morbid curiosity.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Thu May 05, 2011 06:14 PM
I wish they would release them, but I hope they don't become widespread all over the internet. Like, I hope they don't pop up with those " hit the dart in the head and win $1000" adds.

I want to see them, because, I think it would be fascinating. Although, I've wanted to be a coroner since I was about 6 years old.
re: Release Bin Laden pictures? (karma: 1)
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 05, 2011 06:34 PM
Edited by Moonlitefairy06 (90715) on 2011-05-05 20:21:36 typos
To me it seems that the majority of the conspiracy theorists who don't think he died are those that don't trust Obama. My solution to this would be to show the pictures/video to some top ranking Republicans- President Bush, Dick Cheny, John McCain, Joe Boehner etc. If they declare that its real and true I think we can all just go on with our lives and put the debate to rest of whether or not it really happened without risking our national security even farther by instigating attacks.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 05, 2011 06:44 PM
Edited by sjerose (158555) on 2011-05-05 18:45:05
I dunno... I sort of feel like anyone who didn't want to look at the released photos could just not look at them, you know? I'm also curious, but I don't feel like I NEED to see them personally.

It feels a little weird that photos are available, the government states specifically that there are photos, and then they say "No, you can't look at them". (Granted, if there was/is a legitimate security issue that's classified to be known, I totally respect that, but I don't know if that's been stated or not.) I can totally see how the public feels like this decision is going against the concept of freedom of information, especially if we're not getting an explicit explanation why they won't be released. But I don't feel strongly either way.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 05, 2011 06:52 PM
I'd like to see the whole live link released. I assume it was recorded. We could then see what really went on.
On Thu May 05, 2011 07:13 PM
Well, they kinda-sorta released one already, I think.

Image hotlink - 'http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/05/03/1226048/899672-obama-clinton-watch-bin-laden-raid.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://skydivenut.com/hillary-clinton/goto/http:/static1.firedoglake.com/29/files/2011/05/Screen-shot-2011-05-02-at-7.17.16-PM.png'

;)
By mcardles
On Fri May 06, 2011 02:32 PM
Edited by mcardles (228159) on 2011-05-06 14:36:57
Honestly, I think obama made the right choice. I think there's way too much hype about his death, yes, he killed over 3000 americans, yes, he was totally twisted, but that was ten years ago, and I don't know about everyone else, but i don't really have the desire to see someone after they've been shot in the head.
On Sat May 07, 2011 09:12 PM
Heart,

It is my understanding that I am not allowed to give karma for pictures, so here is a public thank you for the photo of "the war room".

The facial expressions and the gaze of each set of eyes speaks volumes.

Thanks again.

Keep On Dancing*
By boleyngrrl
On Sat May 07, 2011 09:44 PM
I think eventually the pictures will come out. It won't be today, it won't be tomorrow, it might not be this week, this month, or even this year, but they will come out. When they do, I hope it's an official release and not through wikileaks or something--I have nothing against wikileaks (I actually find going through the files to be really interesting!), but I feel it would undermine the American government in their brief span of glory.

I also think that it will do little good to release the photos. Those who are conspiracy theorists will think what they believe, no matter what the evidence. People will always say "Oh, that's photoshopped." Or something else along those lines.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 08, 2011 06:52 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

I don't know how anyone would voluntarily want to see a photo of someone who has been shot in the head.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 10, 2011 06:06 PM
Look at that. They took my idea! www.politico.com . . .
By irishfeislovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 PM
As bad as Osama was, dont show his body to the public. thats unnessasary (I know i totally just spelled that word wrong lol)

ReplySendWatch