Popular Teachers

Need help finding song! Bippity Bobbbity Boo by danceflorida1223
I need help finding this song www.youtube.com . . . . I know that Michelle...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Ballet - General
How long did it take you to learn how to do a double-pirouette? en>fr fr>en
By mileseez135 Comments: 203, member since Sat Feb 05, 2011
On Fri May 06, 2011 01:48 PM

... or are you still working on it?

I've been dancing a little more than 3 years and can get a decent double once in a while, but am getting frustrated and am feeling like I should be able to turn better! Always critical, I guess... Plus, I think my single pirouette is finally pretty clean (on most days...), but it's taken 3 years!!

10 Replies to How long did it take you to learn how to do a double-pirouette?

re: How long did it take you to learn how to do a double-pirouette? en>fr fr>en
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5880, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Fri May 06, 2011 02:06 PM
I think people get really worked up over multiple turns. I was a pretty good turner and still am when I'm dancing, but I had my struggles. I would say I started doing double consistently and cleanly within about 2 years of doing ballet. I started just before turning 13. Very little extra force is needed when going from a single to a double turn. Essentially, bring in the trailing arm a bit more forcefully and ensuring you bring your head around for the second spot should be enough to get you around for time two. Don't change anything is your body to prep for more turns. You should be winding up, or changing your stance, or sticking your butt out when you plie. Just think about going straight up, and bringing your head around twice.

Good luck!
By mileseez135 Comments: 203, member since Sat Feb 05, 2011
On Fri May 06, 2011 02:14 PM
Thanks! The two things that helped my single pirouettes a lot lately have been
1) holding my original spot LONGER before swinging my head around [hope that makes sense] and
2) thinking of turning out my back leg more when turning from fourth position.

Cleaning up my spot was what really helped me go from a single to a double (although one of my teachers says the head should turn before the rest of the body, this really didn't work for me. I think this may be more relevant when going for 3, 4, 5... turns?) ...

Anyway, sometimes my turn feels so smooth that I can't help but go around twice... but, other times, it just doesn't happen at all! I'll keep working at it - at least I've had a couple breakthroughs lately, right? :)
By tempsleve Comments: 505, member since Wed Jun 09, 2010
On Sat May 07, 2011 02:42 AM
I'd say it took me about 6 months of solidly working on it at least 4 times a week..
By Sweetballerina96 Comments: 37, member since Sun Feb 20, 2011
On Sun May 08, 2011 08:08 AM
Well I actually first started working on getting a perfect single pirouette and after that the double wasn't so hard, I think it took me about 2 weeks or so. I do have a tip for you though. If you have a mirror in your bedroom or anywhere in the house (doesn't matter) stick a cross on there (with the white tickets you stick on your school notebooks) and practice to just spin your head really fast twice in a row not loosing sight of the cross while posing for a tiny second between the two pirouettes( without really doing the pirouette but doing it on both feet). This really helped me actually! and after that practice the real pirouettes on one foot and don't forget to spin your head really fast and keep on looking on the cross. Once you're able to do them properly forget the mirror and practice on a wall(you'll see it should give you great results!)
I hope I was able to help and sorry if you didn't really understand cause my english isn't so great.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3519, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Sun May 08, 2011 02:05 PM
Years and years! It is really hard to measure time in terms of years because it has been so on and off.

One of my biggest problems is improving my balance in general. It has really helped to be able to take ballet consistently, at least 1 class a week almost every week for 1-3/4 years, now. When I started class the September before last, my teacher asked what level I was on. I simply showed her the best pirouette I could manage and said, "A very shaky single". Now I can do reasonably controlled singles and very occasionally go around twice, both en dehors and en dedans. Progress is slow.

I am so jealous when I see a student with great natural balance try ballet for the first time and they do a pirouette on the very first day. There was one young woman who, having seen more advanced students doing fouette turns, decided to try it. And with all of 6 once-a-week, hour-long ballet lessons behind her she did it! Not well, of course, but she succeeded!
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1063, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Sun May 08, 2011 02:33 PM
It took me about 5 months from when I started doing pirouettes, but I'd been in Highland for almost 7 years at that point and even though it was my first year in Ballet, I had that background. I was 13 at the time. I remember every single day, I'd stand in front of my mirror and try over and over and over and over until I got it, then kept trying to repeat what I just did... I needed to be able to do 2.5 for a dance I was in.

As much as clean spotting, strength in the leg, visualization, keeping your core tight and proper preparation are important to a good pirouette, I've observed that its really a matter of trying and failing, over and over again. When you lose your balance, your body's trying to adjust to something new. At least thats what my teacher's told me. Keep good technique, but you just have to keep trying and trying.
By Demitri Comments: 16, member since Tue Mar 29, 2011
On Wed May 11, 2011 10:22 PM
It took me almost two years to finally be able to execute clean doubles, consistently. One of my problems was that I was able to do the turns if they were in a combination or routine, but when we were practicing them in class (doing turn drills, etc.) I had difficulties. I'm really not sure why that was the case, but it was probably psychological.

My teacher always says that falling to a certain side is most indicative of what you should fix. Just remember your alignment, engage your core muscles, and spot aggressively (one of the notes I received for a very long time). Like CompactDisco said, it's all about practice and learning through trial and error.
By Kklb___WA Comments: 8, member since Tue May 10, 2011
On Fri May 13, 2011 01:37 PM
for me one day i can do it, then the next day i fall on my face... same with the splits... now i can and if i really try i can get a double every once and awhile...
By balletismylife12 Comments: 71, member since Fri Mar 25, 2011
On Sun May 15, 2011 07:48 AM
Edited by balletismylife12 (234234) on 2011-05-15 07:49:23
Multiple turns come with time, technique, and a lot of falling down. I'm really no expert on turning but don't get frustrated with yourself, turns are only a small portion of ballet.
By oliveballet Comments: 9, member since Sat May 21, 2011
On Sat May 21, 2011 07:31 PM
I've been dancing for 4 years and I can do a perfect double once in every 50 days! :) But seriously, this has taken me forever to do a clean double.

ReplySendWatch