Forum: Competitions

Competition Handbook Help
By DancingDivaSCPremium member
On Mon May 16, 2011 02:35 PM

I've had several issues with my company this year as the girls are growing and becoming better dancers...mainly "I can do what I want" issues from girls and mothers. I've wrote about a couple of situations on here and everyone has suggested a competition handbook. I have started writing mine but was wondering if anyone had an example I could look at. I really can't handle another year of this and want to make sure I cover EVERYTHING. Also curious on the wording for some things. I want to be nice but also want the point across. Any help would be great!

17 Replies to Competition Handbook Help

re: Competition Handbook Help (karma: 1)
By Frogdogdance
On Mon May 16, 2011 11:09 PM
PM me your email address & I will share mine!
re: Competition Handbook Help
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 17, 2011 07:14 AM
Don't worry over sounding nice or not - it's a simple statement of the facts: These are the rules and this is what will happen if the rules are not followed. End of story. It's not about making the rules nice.
By anita123
On Tue May 17, 2011 07:44 AM
I did a google search as alot of studios have theirs on their webpages. I've read alot and gotten some great ideas this way of things that need to be covered. It sure helps with an outline of what you want to include!
By Blindsay
On Tue May 17, 2011 08:46 AM
Another quick suggestion that I have is once you have created a handbook with all the rules, requirements & consequences have a contract at the end which the parent & student has to sign & date stating that they have read this manual and agree to all the terms & conditions. It sound silly & strict but it seem like it may be beneficial in your case since you've had so many problems in the past with your competition group.
On Tue May 17, 2011 04:08 PM
Wonderful suggestions! Thank you so much. I was able to find some great examples online. And I will definitely have a signing page at the end. You wouldn't believe the number of times people have came to me this year saying they didn't know something and when I asked if they read their papers the answer was always no. *sigh*
re: Competition Handbook Help (karma: 1)
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Thu May 19, 2011 08:59 AM
If you want more, I based mine off of info from Rhee Gold. Just pm me your email addy.
By liv2dnz
On Sat May 21, 2011 06:30 PM
Make sure to have the signed page returned to you by a certain date or they will not be allowed to participate. That way when they say they don't know, you can pull out the sheet with their signatures on it. Private schools do this for field trips and volunteer work. So it can be held as a legal contract.
By onyourtoes03
On Wed May 25, 2011 12:28 AM
I would also suggest having a team meeting after you hand out the book and they have signed it and brought it back to see if anyone had any questions because I had my parents and Kids sign saying that they read them then 3 days before I paid for the bus and the first competition. They wanted a meeting got mad at me because they didnt know anything about it and didnt read that in the book and I pulled out what they signed and highlighted the book and yet it was my fault because I didnt have a meeting about the book. So make sure that they all under stand everything and that they know what they signed. Hope that helps too.
On Wed May 25, 2011 08:28 PM
Anyone who was invited to audition for our team (but for the kids under age 8, who were only by invitation), were given all of the information that they needed. It stated all of the rules, all of the costs (I would over estimate), all of the time commitments, all of the required classes and rehearsal, etc..

I had two dates for a required meeting that at least one parent/guardian must attend one of them. They had to sign in. If they did not, they could not have their child audition/participate.

At the meeting I read over all of what they had in their information, and I gave them new copies, if needed. Then we had a one hour question and answer time. This is where I had to keep saying, "No exceptions to anything, ever." It is amazing how they can read it all, see "no exceptions" and still ask, "but would it be an exception if...?"

Of course, I had the few, allowable exceptions in there and the minimum absences, etc.

If they decided to allow their child to participate, they had to pay a $50 audition fee that was then applied to their account towards the season. If the child did not make it, or decided, before choreography started (during the required summer classes), they received a refund.

It is very important to have the meeting BEFORE anyone even considers being on team. It really helps.
By Jaenis_Yahad
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 08:14 AM
Like many of the other relpies, we have one for our studio that I made. The main thing is to meet with the parents and go over this information with them. Explain that the rules for being a competitive dancer are more strict than recreational dancers.

I don't worry about being nice or being perceived as mean because I know that at the end of the day, being objective is often viewed as being mean. I do, however, let my parents and students know that I have high expectations of myself and of my dancers and that these rules are put in place to get the best out of them. If they have a problem with the rules, then they have the choice to not participate in the program.

Good luck with everything!
By CSSRocks
On Fri Aug 05, 2011 02:34 AM
Thank you for the post! Gosh I love this forum I now know I'm not the only one with silly patents etc!

I would love to see you competition handbook to help with mine if possible

Thank again!
By mndance2
On Thu Aug 25, 2011 01:20 PM
I am working on a handbook as well and would love to see some examples. Thanks!!
On Thu Aug 25, 2011 08:22 PM
Send me your email address and I'll send you what I worked on. :)
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 08:26 PM
Thanks, Vista. You are very welcome.
By SAPdance
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 01:26 PM
This is my 21st year coaching our competition team (man I feel old) and I have issued a dancer/parent agreement for the last 12 years. I would not go on without it. I have already sent the 2011/2012 version to parents, they are to sign it with their dancer and return it to me at our team meeting tomorrow night. Mine has evolved every year since the beginning. This year I had to add a Facebook clause (social network clause). Oh how times change. If you want to see and example of it I can email it to you. I would also love to see others to see if there is anything else I should add.
By danceteacher716
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 07:22 PM
In addition to your handbook, have a parent meeting. We do and read the handbook to parents so they cannot say they "didn't know". It covers everything- cost, competition dates, what they will need, number of classes they are allowed to miss, that we have final say in all routines and class/line placement, competition rules, arrival times, what happens if a dancer fails to attend classes, what classes they have to be enrolled in, EVERYTHING. I would suggest making a list of everything you want to cover and then writing from there. Include as many details as possible. We also have the students and parents sign a contract each year and return it to us. It lists everything we expect, all the rules and other necessities.
By PMDDancer89
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 08:44 PM
We have to update our contract each year because surprisingly enough if seems there is always something new that has to be addressed

ReplySendWatch