Forum: General / Computers - General

Keyboard help
By misschristie
On Thu May 19, 2011 03:02 PM

My baby loves messing with my keyboard, and he pushed something that has made my keyboard speak French!! Does anyone know how to fix thisÉÉ (sorry, those are supposed to be question marks!)

1 Replies to Keyboard help

re: Keyboard help
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 19, 2011 09:57 PM
The easiest way for you to get back to normal is to do a "System Restore." I will assume you are using some flavor of windows.

Go to Start> All Programs >Accessories >System Tools >System Restore (its at the bottom of the System Tools drop down menu.)
Click on System Restore. It will show a Calendar and some of those dates will be in bold face. Click on a bold face date, some date which is before you noticed the problem. If the baby did his thing today, find a bold blue date sometime earlier. Click on something that says restore my system to this date (it will not remove files you have saved e.g. Email.) It will take about five minutes to restore the system. Hopefully you will be typing with a standard English keyboard.

It is possible to have multiple languages on a keyboard. I have two...US English and Icelandic (as I am taking an on-line course in that language just for fun.) It defaults to English. Down in the lower right hand corner, see if you have a little icon that looks like a keyboard. There will be a little "help" "?" Icon to the right of it, if you have it. If it is there, click it and see if it give two or more languages such as US English and French. It it says US English you can click on it and you will have your English keyboard back and you can type in French should you wish to do that. You can type in many languages with windows...even those with backwards writing such as Arabic and Hebrew (I know or knew Arabic when I was a government linguist, but I never learned how to type it, I always used cursive writing.)

Jon

ReplySendWatch