Popular Teachers

disney music - 4th and 5th grader by miss_anna_dance
I need music to fit a school show - Disney theme 4th/5th grade jazz and 4th/5th grade ballet

Forum: Music / Music Search

Music Search
lyrical song that a 13 year old girl could really connect with emotionally en>fr fr>en
By hartballet Comments: 20, member since Sat Mar 12, 2011
On Mon May 23, 2011 07:16 PM
Moved to Music Search by imadanseur (79325) on 2011-08-29 15:26:27 moved to correct forum.

i found many beautiful song"thanks" but i handed them in to my teacher and she wants me to find songs that i can relate to! i have never been heartbroken so nothing about love would work. But i do have really close friends that i love and i love dance.. also im a really happy person

17 Replies to lyrical song that a 13 year old girl could really connect with emotionally

re: lyrical song that a 13 year old girl could really connect with emotionally en>fr fr>en
By bagpuss912 Comments: 45, member since Thu May 19, 2011
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 09:37 PM
wow that is hard! I really would'nt expect a 13 year old to connect totally to any music when she hadnt actually experienced heartache! Try You tube find a song that you really love. try to find words in it that you can relate to so think of loving your friends etc & if its sad think how you would feel if you didnt see them again if they moved for example.
A lot of love songs meanings can also be changed to mean other things think of your mum & dad or family members too. Hope this helps
re: lyrical song that a 13 year old girl could really connect with emotionally en>fr fr>en
By ModernArts001 Comments: 1, member since Sun Jun 05, 2011
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 04:39 PM
I've used some of the following songs for girls in my classes-

Dancing by Elisa

Ave Maria by Beyonce

Candelight by Imogen Heap

Fix You by Coldplay
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1063, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 07:03 PM
Don't Laugh At Me... I don't know who it's by, but if you've ever been bullied it's a good one.
Firework acoustic by Katy Perry is a good one, I think.
Sorry I don't have more suggestions :P I just can't think of any that don't have anything to do with love or something.
By SheDances Comments: 21, member since Mon Apr 06, 2009
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 07:47 PM
What about dance, dance, dance by Lykke Li?

There is a long list of lyrical songs here:
www.squidoo.com . . .

I would listen to the clips and see what you like.
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2111, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 08:47 PM
Edited by tassiemum (158209) on 2011-06-07 20:48:30 grammar and info
I don't know where you are, or what 'lyrical' songs and routines are like where you are, but my 13 year old daughter is dancing a neo-classical contemporary routine to a Regina Spektor song, "Laughing". She's never experienced grief or loss, but she loves the song so it's working for her and her teacher.

Maybe just the connection with the song itself will be enough for you?

Let us know how you go.
By Rayray2996 Comments: 14, member since Wed Jun 15, 2011
On Thu Jun 16, 2011 03:11 PM
I love to dance to the song Pure Imagionation and Butterfly Fly Away :) They are both beautiful songs that are easy for younger dancers to relate to. But alot of dance teachers and choreographers chose songs that do deal with heartbreak and love and if this happens then she'll just have to act, dancing is a type of acting anyhow.
By nainai96 Comments: 28, member since Sun Apr 10, 2011
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 09:02 PM
Samson - Regina Spektor
By luvs2dancealot Comments: 1092, member since Mon Mar 31, 2008
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 09:19 PM
Here are a few I thought of that you may or may not relate to but they aren't about love/heartbreak:

Miss Invisible-Marie Digby
Hands-Jewel
Beautiful Life-Charlotte Martin
Dream-Priscilla Ahn
It's Only Life-Voegele
A Moment Like This-Kelly Clarkson
World-Five For Fighting
The Special Two-Missy Higgins
So Small-Carrie Underwood
Little Wonders-Rob Thomas
Fields of Gold-Eva Cassidy
Wild Horses-Natasha Bedingfield
Glitter In the Air-P!nk
Halo-Beyoncé
Shadowfeet-Brooke Fraser

Hope that helps! Let us know what you end up using!
By Dancer4465 Comments: 3, member since Fri Jul 01, 2011
On Fri Jul 01, 2011 08:56 PM
I know you can't totally relate but Turning Tables or Chasing Pavements both by Adele are extremely good solo lyrical songs. :)
By nainai96 Comments: 28, member since Sun Apr 10, 2011
On Mon Jul 04, 2011 09:26 AM
smile by avril lavigne is a good one - my friend just did a lyrical dance to it and it seemed very open and strong - probably because the message isn't hidden in a metaphor, she just sings what she want's to say
By dancing_tiger Comments: 223, member since Fri Jun 25, 2010
On Mon Jul 11, 2011 03:15 PM
I so know how hard it can be to find a song you can relate to. I personally believe that if you dig down deep you can trigger emotions that aren't always happy but if not that is so fine and who says that lyrical always has to be about heartache or pain it's just a dance that helps you express your feeling so on that note i would try:
happy-Leona Lewis
dream- Priscilla Ahn
lighthouse- Hope
rain- Priscilla Ahn
A drop in the ocean- Ron Pope

Hope this helped!
By dancegirl300member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 203, member since Sun Jul 19, 2009
On Mon Jul 11, 2011 06:28 PM
Good Life- One Republic
Never Grow Up- Taylor Swift
Home- Michael Buble
Slow Me Down- Emma Rossum

Just have fun with whatever you pick!
By Vanity_Lu Comments: 26, member since Mon Jun 08, 2009
On Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:03 PM
I did Wild Horses by Natasha Bedingfield. It's all about having freedom and wanting to be free so I think you'd be able to relate to that. Here's a list of some other songs I think would be good:
Long Live - Taylor Swift
Never Grow Up - Taylor Swift
The White Stripes - We're Gonna Be Friends
Ryan Cabrera - I Will Remember You
Miley Cyrus - I'll Always Remember You
Angel Taylor - Like You Do
He Is We - Too Beautiful
Miranda Lambert - Virginia Bluebell
Sugababes - Ugly (Acoustic?)
Selena Gomez - Who Says (Acoustic)
Justin Bieber - Pray
Nevertheless - Topics
By Balletismylife4 Comments: 3, member since Fri Jul 22, 2011
On Fri Jul 22, 2011 03:15 AM
Here are a few that I think are nice =)

I Hope You Dance-Lee Ann Womack
Time of My Life-David Cook
Kiss the Rain-Yiruma (This song has no lyrics but is pretty)
Beautiful-Christina Aguilera
When You Believe-Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston
Happy-Leona Lewis
Unwritten-Natasha Bedingfield (More of a jazzy lyrical)
Suddenly I See-KT Tunstall (Again a jazzy lyrical)
Gift of a Friend-Demi Lovato
Two Worlds Collide-Demi Lovato
Here Comes The Sun-The Beatles
By JazzFreak90 Comments: 24, member since Mon Feb 22, 2010
On Sun Jul 31, 2011 06:49 PM
Here are some I've used for my kids:

Halo - (the one from One Tree Hill)
The Climb - Miley Cyrus
Blame It On The Weatherman - B*Witched
When I Look At You - Miley Cyrus
Butterfly Fly Away - Miley Cyrus
Fireflies - Owl City
Little Wonders - Rob Thomas

Here are some others that require a little more emotional commitment that I've danced to myself:
Julia - John Lennon (about his mother)
Across The Universe - Fiona Apple
Slow Me Down - Emmy Rossum (This song has been used to death but it is suitable for what you ask for)
Shadow of the Day - Linkin Park
Amazing Grace - whichever version you like most.
By DANCEOLIVIA1999 Comments: 67, member since Sat Jul 30, 2011
On Fri Aug 12, 2011 05:55 PM
'Best thing I ever had' By Beyonce :D

Love Oliviaxxx
By hiphopballet Comments: 48, member since Sat Aug 06, 2011
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 05:28 PM
Here's a few songs I pretty much danced to all of them
-come down to me by saving Jane
-held my by Natalie grant
-true colors there's a really good girl version I'll post a link if you want
-never saw blue by either Shawn Colvin or hayley westernia
Hope their good ask for links to any of them:)

ReplySendWatch