Forum: Arts / Debates

What makes you a 'REAL' fan ???
By JosieJoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 24, 2011 03:18 AM

...and by fan I mean a sports team fan etc.

I know some have the opinion that you're only a 'proper' or 'real' fan if you spend lots of money on season tickets and travelling to away games and having every single piece of merchandise you can think of, but others will disagree.

your opinions?

13 Replies to What makes you a 'REAL' fan ???

re: What makes you a 'REAL' fan ???
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 24, 2011 03:22 AM
A fan is anyone that picks to support a team and you know like watches their games when they can etc.

You can be a fan without ever spending money or owning merchandise.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 24, 2011 03:39 AM
I once had this discussion with Tim's friends, who are all Villa season ticket holders. I said I wouldn't count myself as a "fan" because I don't go to matches anymore (only been to a handful anyway). I said I counted myself as a supporter because I wasn't fan-atical but still wanted them to do well, still looked up their results and news, and still yelled a bit when they scored a goal.

But quite logically they turned that around on me and said that I wasn't a supporter either, since I didn't support the club and the players either financially or by going to cheer the lads on.

So I'm not a supporter, am I a fan? Armchair fan? To me, fan means fanatic and I'm not fanatic in my appreciation of the Villa.

To sum up - shrug!
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 24, 2011 05:40 AM
I think a fan is everyone, who stays with the team, even if they have a bad season once in a while or if there is any trouble in the team on alcohol, drugs, trainer choice...whatever you can imagine.

that is what makes you a real fan, in my opinion.
re: What makes you a 'REAL' fan ??? (karma: 1)
By Elfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 26, 2011 03:04 PM
I don't really understand at all this culture of "real" or "true" something. Isn't liking something a completely subjective feeling? How on earth can you tell someone they don't really love/like what they think they do? Isn't that something everyone can define for themselves and only for themselves? Shouldn't it be plain obvious one can't measure someone else's feelings?
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 26, 2011 03:18 PM
^This. I don't follow any sports so I can speak towards sport team fandom, but just last night my friend and I were discussing fans of book series and other things, and it really annoys me that people feel that if you don't have all the merchandise and/or live breathe and eat your obsession, you're not a TRUE fan.

I think for sports, I'd consider someone a sports fan if they watched games when they could and followed the scores and had emotional investment in the team's success. Just because you can't afford to go to all the games doesn't make you any less of a fan.

I think when it comes to books, movies, actors, etc. (which I realize you aren't specifically talking about, so please excuse my hijack), to me it's not about the merchandise, it's about how you carry the meaning of whatever the obsession is around with you. For example, I'm a Harry Potter fan. I have a Golden Snitch necklace that my friend got my for Christmas, and I own some of the movies and books. I don't have my walls plastered with Harry, and I don't watch the movies every day. But the books meant a lot to me growing up and now as a young adult, and I like to think I carry some of what I got from the books, emotionally, with me every day. /hijack
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 29, 2011 06:38 PM
I think to be a real fan, you need;
*Blades
*Good rotational quality
By MaxwellPremium member
On Sun May 29, 2011 06:52 PM
I don't know anything about sports, but I know first hand that nerds are the worst about this.

Apparently I am a bad Harry Potter fan because I don't really have much of a desire to see the movies!

I don't get fan hierarchies. Why get offended because someone likes the same thing as you do only...less intenesely?
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 29, 2011 07:06 PM
^Same. I don't get the people who obsessively try to somehow "prove" and they're the "biggest fan" of something. Really appreciating something is what makes you a fan...not jumping a bandwagon and buying a bunch of merchandise to shout it to the world.

I always had this whole idea that if you have to say to the world that you're something in particular, you probably aren't...like when people try so hard to fit into a specific genre, like punk, goth, etc. Same goes for fans of bands/movies/books/etc that feel like they have to tell everybody how they're the OMG BIGGEST FAN EVERRRRR!!! Being obsessive isn't a flattering thing...when it comes to something I am really into, those kind of "look at me" people can be really obnoxious. Chill out!
By hummingbird
On Sun May 29, 2011 07:36 PM
My grandfather was THE biggest Totteham Hotspur supporter ever, he never missed a match. When he started as a supporter in the 1940's there was no merchandise!

Does this make him less of a supporter?

In his 90's he couldn't go to watch the games, he would watch them all on TV and wouldn't miss any of them. Does this make him less of a fan.

I think it makes him a fan extraordinaire!
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 09, 2011 02:34 AM
I help run a supporter group for my local football team, and we have a running joke.

Part-Time Fan = Only a fan when the team is winning

Generally, I classify a fan as anyone who has an interest in the team and enjoys watching/hearing about them.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 09, 2011 02:46 AM
^ Part-time fans are "glory hunters" or "fairweather fans" here. The type of people who never go to a match from one year to the next but then moan when they can't get tickets to the first cup final their team's got to in 30-odd years. I understand fan hierarchy in this instance because it's annoying for people who go every week, to lose out on a ticket to a fairweather fan. It's also annoying to have to listen to opinions on the team from a fairweather fan who never even watches them on TV - mostly because their opinions are just parroted and don't match up to what's actually happening on the pitch. There's a certain guy at our local that does this - people will walk away from him mid-conversation because he quite angrily spews all these opinions about his team that are just pure rubbish. He jabs his finger in your chest and tells you you're wrong about the style of play, but then he hasn't been to a match in ten years?
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 09, 2011 02:05 PM
Edited by webstAr (54294) on 2011-06-09 14:06:19
^Or if you live in Vancouver right now, you're a "Bandwagon Jumper"

*SHUDDERS*

That term is truly the most obnoxious part about the Canucks being in the Stanley Cup Finals. The rest is all fun and good :D

Me? I'm excited to see my city's team doing well, but I also love a good excuse to grab a pint with friends, and run around the streets high-fiving people. webstAr - Bandwagon Jumper Extraordinaire! What of it?! :O
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 10, 2011 06:53 AM
A fan, supporter, or barracker (Australian word) is someone who never picks against 'their' team in a tipping competition. I'm a Richmond 'fan' and my tipping record last year was woeful.

Go the Tigers! *yellow and black*

ReplySendWatch