Forum: Arts / Image Editing - Requests

Image Editing - Requests
Three photos, three editing questions :)
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1128, member since Sun Oct 12, 2008
On Tue May 24, 2011 06:27 AM

Hey guys,

I just saw what amazing things you can do and wanted to ask if you could play around with these 3 pics.

The first one it taken with a mobile phone camera and its kind of sloppy, is there any chance to make it sharp? ( I hope I used the right word.

For the second one, could you get rid of the red evil eyes? I am green, grey normally. and maybe put it in a fancier background?

Third one was in adventure park for kids. I really like it, put one can see a little bit of the bra on the site, could you edit that?

thank you all in advance for your help!

Love,
MC

8 Replies to Three photos, three editing questions :)

re: Three photos, three editing questions :)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue May 24, 2011 09:46 AM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2011-05-24 09:47:48 Spelling
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2011-05-24 09:50:37 Spelling and some syntax
Ok, here are my attempts.

Photo 1. Not too much can be done here, though I did apply a "sharpening" tool. what has happened here is a subject failure. It appears you are on a moving ride (I can tell something is moving by looking at the windowns in the building in the background and the chain holding the chair you are sitting in. The camera actually focused on some people on the ground behind you. In short...the scene and the motion outsmarted the camera.

Photo 2. Can do easy...almost every photo manipulation software (I used Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 a low cost clone of Photoshop) has a "Red Eye tool" to correct red eye. This tool knows the color of red eye and simply replaces it with black. Red eye, BTW is actually a photo of the inside of the eyeball...the rods and cones you heard about in grade school science or health class. This happens because most small camera have their flash right at the axis of the picture taking lens and the flash lights up the inside of the eyeball. Animals have different color rods and cones, so they usually show up yellow - one of the reasons animal cannot distinguish colors. Pro photographers actually will place their flashes somewhere above or to the side of the taking lens to minimize this problem. I shuddered when, in the 1980's, manufacturers began to build flashes into the camera body because that is an open invitation for red eye. At least with digital photography it is easy to correct. In the film era you needed a retouch job. Even worse is the "Red Eye Prevention" setting most camera now have. This is when the camera will let out a burst of flashes before the picture is taken. This burst of flash is supposed to close the iris of the subjects' eyes which minimizes the red eye effect. It does this, of course, but that burst of flash causes many people to blink and you usually get the photo a second or two later from when you first pressed the button. This is an eternity in people photography. Bah Humbug! Most small camera have a delay anyway of 1/2 to 1 second after you push the button. More Bah Humbug. I press the button, I want that photo NOW (measured in milliseconds delay, not seconds.)

Photo 3. This is can do VERY easy. I used the "clone" tool of my photo software. You simply right click the photo tool on an area...in your case, the black dress, and then left click on the area not desired...here the side of the bra...and that blackens the area. This took me about 10 seconds to cure (admittedly, I do have some practice doing this.)

Jon

Comment #9577590 deleted
Removed by Chaconne (182529) on 2011-05-24 10:15:19 Dupelicate posting, Original remains. See...It even happens to the Mods! :-P

By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1128, member since Sun Oct 12, 2008
On Tue May 24, 2011 01:44 PM
Jon thank you so much.
I have the red eye problem every time, even if I use that red-eye thing my camera has

I really need to sit down and try this on my own. are there any free foto editing programm to try editing?

For the second one, could put me into another scene, I would like to see it without my messy bedroom.

Thank you again, that you took your time to the "easy" editing, I was to stupid for ;)

and ps: nice to know that even mods get a douple post, once in a while

MC
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue May 24, 2011 08:26 PM
Well Martha, there is a first time for everything...and this is the first time I tried using the "background removal tool" on my photo software. I don't even know if I was using it correctly as I didn't have time to go through a 200 page manual to really study how its is done. There are a lot of things in photo softwar, particularly the tools, that I don't know how to do as I've never really taken the time to learn them. About 95% of the stuff I do with it is cropping, brightness/contrast adjustments and color corrections. (I'm actually pretty good at this last one as during the film era I used to do my own color printing and color correction is a big part of that.) Sooooo, here is my attempt at it. Not perfect, I suspect that someday I may be better at it as to really do it well takes a lot of practice and trial and error. I suppose with a white background (and reading the other 199 pages of the manual) I could plug in almost any background...trees, The Arc de Triomphe, the Queen Mary 2, Red Square and the Kremlin or even the U.S. Capitol Building [I live just outside Washington, DC so that would be fairly easy to do, I probably have photos of it in my files.] But for now simple white will have to do.

You asked about free photo editing software. I'm sure there may be several, but the only one I have any experience with is GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) which is totally free and as capable allegedly as full blown Photoshop. (Not having used the expensive versions of Photoshop, I can't vouch for that. I have in the past used early versions of Photoshop Elements...they came with my scanners.) GIMP comes from the Linux community but it has been ported over to Windows. I used the version current about 2-3 years ago, played with it for a while, but found that so far Paint Shop Pro X2, which has the advantage of being fairly cheap and unlike some other programs I used, has a clone tool (which I use all the time) which can be used one-handed with the left/right buttons on the mouse. (Others require the CTRL key with one hand and the mouse with the other.) Downloading GIMP for Windows was a bit geeky to get working. It may be better now. If you are not confident of you computer downloading and installation skills, the classic solution is to feed your computer geekiest friend Chinese food and he'll solve any problem you have for free :P.

Jon
On Wed May 25, 2011 01:33 AM
Thank you Jon!

The help may be payed with physical courtesy and not with chinese food, because the geekiest one I can thing of is my boyfriend, but that will be fine :P
By moara Comments: 955, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Wed May 25, 2011 10:44 AM
I also use Paint Shop Pro (XI), and I love it. If you just want to try a few things out, you get 60 days free to use it when you download the program.
I've tried GIMP and Photoshop, and didn't find them intuitive to use at all. I like PSP much better. But if you don't mind reading scads of tutorials, then they are the cheaper and more powerful options respectively.

Jon, if you want to switch out a background in the future, just promote your photo layer from background to raster layer (right click in the layers pallette) and then use your background eraser tool like normal. The background should erase to transparent, instead of white, and then you can pop another photo in behind on a lower layer.
On Wed May 25, 2011 02:49 PM
Thanks Moara, maybe understanding layers (I don't now) will be my summer project LOL. I don't have 4-5 symphony reheasals every week in the summer and 25-30 concerts each season to play. And maybe I'll FINALLY get through the tutorials. So many hobbies, so little time!

And I don't even have to work for a living anymore (fully retired for the past 11 1/2 years.) How did I do anything when I had to work!
On Fri May 27, 2011 01:35 AM
Thank you both for your help!

I will try a free programm first, seeing if I am talented doing some editing and if I am interested for a longer time and then I will get a decent programm that will cost a little bit.

Chaconne thanks for the editing, The first one will be the next facobook profile :)

ReplySendWatch