Forum: Arts / Fashion

Looking For Elbow Length Summer Shirts and Comfy Summer Shoes
By Ampersandmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 26, 2011 07:58 PM

I am starting a new job in two weeks and I am going to need some new clothes to go with it. It is going to be at a pre-school, so I am going to be doing a lot of moving and running around after kids, lifting and putting things away in the classrooms, going on field trips, etc. I have some pants, shorts and skirts so I should be fine in that category. My problem is that I need more shirts, I just don't know what stores to look at. I have tattoos on my upper left arm that need to be covered while at work and I will probably be getting more work done on my upper arm at some point this summer. I have a few shirts and cropped cardigans that are elbow or 3/4 length and made from summer weight fabrics that will get me through the first week or so, but I can't be wearing the same outfits every week. Well, I guess I could theoretically, no one is going to care, but I don't think my shirts would last through that much daily abuse!

So has anyone seen any shirts or tops out in stores that have elbow length short sleeves or even 3/4 length but are not heavy for winter? I have a few long sleeve cotton shirts that I plan on hemming the sleeves on up to the proper length, but I don't want to only wear solid tshirts all the time. I need to have some more professional looking shirts in there as well. So button ups, tunics, even just a nice tshirt if it has a nice print on it or maybe has some feminine details would be great. Just for reference I am short, very small chested, and a bit chubby. So it would help if the shirts are for someone petite and pear shaped, but right now I'm not going to be totally picky until I try things on, I just want some leads on where to find the shirts.

I also need some recommendations for comfy summer shoes. My mom keeps trying to get me to get a pair of Clarkes, saying that they are the comfiest shoes ever, but I don't think they really go with anything I own. I guess I wouldn't mind buying them to just have them as my work shoes, but it would help if the shoes were a little less utilitarian looking I suppose... I had lace up vans that I wore into the ground last summer, but I have a feeling that I might need something a bit sturdier this summer. I was working at a summer camp last summer, but it wasn't your normal camp. I was teaching kids how to sew, knit, crochet, etc. So much less running around than your normal camp. I'm going to need shoes that work as hard as me this summer.

I don't mind spending a bit more money than usual on the shirts or shoes if they will last me awhile and can transition well into spring or fall clothes, can layer with cardigans, etc. I am planning on going to Marshalls and some other stores that I have gift cards to this weekend, but I would like to at least have some leads on some other possible stores before I have to run all over the place in search of these things. I like (and look good in) classic cuts of clothing. I prefer clothing that is a bit on the feminine side as I like to accessories with trendier and sometimes edgier items. If I could, I would always buy from places like Talbots, J.Crew, etc. So if anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

8 Replies to Looking For Elbow Length Summer Shirts and Comfy Summer Shoes

re: Looking For Elbow Length Summer Shirts and Comfy Summer Shoes
By Iamalittlefishie
On Thu May 26, 2011 08:23 PM
I haven't been in a while, but Target seems to often have folded on shelf type shirts that are in sold colors (and occasionally a pattern or two) for like $15 and come in elbow-length. I used to have a few of them. They're stretchy and like 90% cotton. Pretty comfortable. Not fancy, but you can mix and match or layer them like crazy.

For shoes, just consider how much you will be on your feet. If it's more than a few hours a day, sacrifice some look for comfort or you won't be able to make it through the summer. If you're on your feet for 8 hours, consider trying to find some clarkes that aren't terrible, or at least a nice pair of sneakers. I'm sure all the nurses, etc on DDN could help you with that. I work in retail (so on my feet for the duration of my shift), and it's HELL when your shoes aren't nice to you. Invest in the shoes!

Also, if all clarkes are as comfortable as the famed ugly yet awesome ones, then you've got a lot of options: www.clarksusa.com . . .
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 26, 2011 08:57 PM
I typically wear something short sleeved with a lightweight cardigan of some sort over top...I've got several that are made from just jersey knit, but look nice enough. The fabric is light enough that I'm not totally melting every day. I've found some at Kohl's, Burlington Coat Factory, Rose's, etc.
On Thu May 26, 2011 09:23 PM
Ok, I don't know why I didn't think to check the Clarks website, but looking at some of the styles totally made me feel better! I am going to call around to a few stores near me tomorrow to see if they carry this or any similar styles: www.clarksusa.com . . . All the stores I have ever seen Clarks in only have the standard ones, and occasionally they have some flip flops. I have never seen ones that look like comfy versions of popular styles. Woo! Alright I think a pair of Clarks are definitely on my list now. Thanks!

Munk - I normally wear cardigans 24/7 as it is. I really like the look of them and they also double as a cover when I need it. That's how I covered up my arms last summer. I was normally sitting in air conditioned environments last summer though. I am probably going to try and find a few more (or find a pattern to make a few) for the summer. I am hoping to avoid the extra layers though since most of our day is spent outside and there isn't a lot of contact with air conditioning. Sitting by the pool (yes, the preschool has an in ground pool) watching the kids while wearing a cardigan just doesn't seem comfortable. Although, I guess for translucent me, it would probably provide another layer of protection from sun burn, haha. Oohhh, I have to get a good hat and stock in sun screen. My list just keeps getting bigger. :P
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 29, 2011 11:58 AM
First off, congratulations on getting a job!

I swear by Nine West flats. Those things are so comfortable. They're a tad on the pricey side, but they have good sales every 6-8 weeks. I've had a pair that I've literally worn out. They just rolled out a bunch of cute new sandals and I'm sure you can find some that are work appropriate.
On Sun May 29, 2011 12:55 PM
I really like Nine West flats, I have several pairs and they are some of my favourite shoes! I have never had a pair of their sandals though. Do you think they are high enough quality for daily use like that? I had a pair of Aerosoles a couple summers ago and I LOVED them, super comfy, but I quickly learned that I couldn't wear them as much as I wanted because even though they were comfy the straps and such just were not up to that sort of abuse. In my mind Aerosoles and Nine West are very similar companies with very similar price points, styles and quality, so I guess I am just wary of paying to have sandals that only last half of a summer. :/ I certainly wouldn't mind a few pairs of their sandals for regular outside of job use though, haha. I tend to find my Nine West shoes on sale at Lord and Taylor or Macy's for pretty cheap, so maybe I will get lucky in my shopping and find some sandals to try my luck with.
By nattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 07:47 PM
I saw some flowy, elbow length tops at Express, TJ Maxx, and Old Navy. I think Banana Republic had some as well. Some were professional looking, and others were kind of casual. Good luck!
By RattyPattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 14, 2011 03:10 PM
I found some great longer sleeved shirts at the Gap on sale. They usually have a wonderful selection.
Good luck!
By allegro731member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:37 PM
I would look at Old Navy for tops. I was in there recently, and they had a lot of 3/4 length shirts.

ReplySendWatch