Forum: Arts / Humor Videos

Humor Videos
Hilarious - even if you don't speak Dutch.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Fri May 27, 2011 03:12 PM

Chianti Lied:
www.youtube.com . . .

9 Replies to Hilarious - even if you don't speak Dutch.

re: Hilarious - even if you don't speak Dutch.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Fri May 27, 2011 04:08 PM
LOL. A recurring nightmare I have is that I have finally made it to the professional ranks of violinists and that my first real paying gig would be in Andre Rieu's band.

I think he mostly uses female fiddle players though...I couldn't really see the entire sections. He is the Liberace of the violin and while, like Liberace, serious classical musicians decry him, he cries all the way to the bank.

There was a bio/feature on him a few months ago in the internationally renown violin journal "THE STRAD" (a U.K. Publication). He actually did have top rank experience in Dutch symphonies as a rank and file violinist.

But he certainly has found a market for his schtick.

Jon
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2092, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Fri May 27, 2011 04:38 PM
Hehe that is quite entertaining! The song is in German though, not in Dutch!
On Fri May 27, 2011 07:19 PM
Thank you both.

Chaconne, you don't have to be a clown like Rieu to be merry while playing in an orchestra. Just about every orchestra has a ball with (for example) Feuerfest.

And DancingBeaner, I was afraid that the song might be German despite Rieu's being very dutch, but I could not check it out. Despite 20 minutes on Google, I could not find the lyrics, and with my very limited German, I could not have distinguished them among all those instruments and crowd sounds.
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2092, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Fri May 27, 2011 10:58 PM
From what I heard the lyrics are:

und dein Mund sagt "Ja"
in der blauen Sternennacht,
und das Glück ist nah,
weil mir deine Liebe lacht.
Und ein Lied erklingt,
das in unsere Herzen dringt,
und wir lauschen zu zweit
jener Stimme so weit
und vergessen die Zeit.

which is like:

and your mouth says "yes"
in the blue starry night,
and the luck is near,
because your love laughs at me.
And hear a song,
that penetrates our hearts,
and we are listening together
each voice so far
and forget the time.

The title of the song is Chianti Lied which means Chianti Song (Chianti is a type of Italian wine).
On Sat May 28, 2011 04:18 AM
Edited by madmilt (172013) on 2011-05-28 06:01:23
Thank you very much for the translation. Now if I could get the rest translated.
On Sat May 28, 2011 06:56 AM
OUCH!
Imagine my chagrin when I allowed all scripts on the Youtube page and found a full translation right there.

DancingBeaner, you got the verse correct. Here is the chorus:

Ja, ja, der Chianti-Wein,
lädt auch den Seemann ein,
drum lasst uns glücklich sein
und uns des Lebens freu'n
beim gold'nen Chianti-Wein.

Ja, ja, beim Chianti-Wein,
da sagt uns keine: Nein.
Drum schenkt die Gläser ein,
die Welt soll unser sein
beim Chianti-Wein
On Sat May 28, 2011 10:37 AM
Oh haha I didn't notice that either! Well then...

The rest means:

Ja, ja, der Chianti-Wein,
lädt auch den Seemann ein,
drum lasst uns glücklich sein
und uns des Lebens freu'n
beim gold'nen Chianti-Wein.

Yes, yes, the Chianti Wine,
also invites the sailor,
thus let us be happy
and be glad about life
with the golden Chianti Wine.

Ja, ja, beim Chianti-Wein,
da sagt uns keine: Nein.
Drum schenkt die Gläser ein,
die Welt soll unser sein
beim Chianti-Wein.

Yes, yes, with the Chianti Wine,
no one says "no" to it.
Thus fill the glasses,
the world should be ours
with the Chianti Wine.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat May 28, 2011 10:58 AM
madmilt wrote:

Thank you both.

Chaconne, you don't have to be a clown like Rieu to be merry while playing in an orchestra. Just about every orchestra has a ball with (for example) Feuerfest.

LOL Milt... Not if your are playing 2nd violin or viola. They get to play the Pah-Pah after the Omp. [OMP Pah-pah] or the back beats in stuff in duple time. [one-TWO-three-FOUR.] I suspect various wind and brass instruments have analogous situations but string players don't talk to wind players :P. I've done whole Strauss concerts and twice done ten performance runs of "Die Fledermaus" once each on 1st Violin and 2nd violin. One of the bigger incentives to improving my violinistic skills when I was in college (and the principal 2nd violinist) was so I could play 1st violin in Strauss waltzes or more specifically NOT play 2nd violin.

Still, there are plenty of hijinks that we can do in an orchestra, but we usually do it in rehearsals rather than performances. Nothing is sacred though, in light operetta. We once did an improvisation at a pseudo-dramatic point in an essentially plotless comic operetta (I think by Offenbach)by playing the opening theme from "Also Spracht Zarathustra" [Better known as the theme from the movie "2001"] on Kazoos. I didn't even study kazoo in music school :P. There was also a scene in Fledermaus involving seltzer bottle spraying when after the on-stage cast got thoroughly doused, the orchestra members all opened up umbrellas in the pit.

Jon
On Sat May 28, 2011 11:12 AM
^^Thanks again.
^LOL - Maybe we can get some comments from others - Perhaps even get them interestedin opera or in concerts without opera.

ReplySendWatch