Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Highland / Highland

Highland - General
Favorite Kilt Makers en>fr fr>en
By highland_fun Comments: 38, member since Tue Apr 21, 2009
On Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:20 AM

Who is your favorite kilt maker? It's time for a new kilt and I'm taking a poll. I am in the Southeastern US but will be in Scotland this summer so I am especially interested in those 2 locations. But I would love to know....who is your favorite kilt maker????

18 Replies to Favorite Kilt Makers

re: Favorite Kilt Makers en>fr fr>en
By highlanddncr Comments: 670, member since Mon Dec 22, 2003
On Thu Jun 02, 2011 08:38 PM
Edited by highlanddncr (80397) on 2011-06-02 20:54:42 spelling
Macisaac Kiltmakers in Nova Scotia by far. Definitely the best workmanship I've seen and they are just so nice and friendly to deal with. I've been to their shop when up in NS (I'm from the US SE too) but all costumes they've done for me have been mail order. Even the jacket fits perfectly without seeing them during the process. Highly recommend them!

There is one shop that I highly do not recommend that is close to the US SE. PM me if you want that info, as I'm not going to list them here even though they really messed up in quality and fit and have horrible customer service.
By HighlandAlex Comments: 84, member since Mon May 23, 2011
On Thu Jun 02, 2011 08:41 PM
Everyone at my dance school goes to Pearl at Highland Heritage
www.highlandheritage.com
She's making my kilt right now and I've heard great things about her
By dancersmom5 Comments: 233, member since Sun May 25, 2008
On Fri Jun 03, 2011 08:51 AM
Pat Fergusson in Southern Ontario is fabulous. Her kilts always fit perfectly even though we have never been live for a fitting, and she is so knowledgeable and helpful>
By mydaughterdances Comments: 145, member since Sat Sep 09, 2006
On Fri Jun 03, 2011 04:04 PM
Hi there

I would recommend Piob Mhor in Blairgowrie, Scotland. They were fantastic :)

The outfit that I had made for my daughter was of the highest quality and the girls whom I was in contact with were excellent.

As a point to note - all my dealings with them were over the phone and I was a bit concerned that my daughter didn't go down for a fitting (we are in Scotland) - but I needn't have worried, the outfit arrived on time and exceeded my expectations :)

Needless to say that 2 1/2 years on the kilt is still in immaculate condition and is now being worn by my youngest daughter.

Good luck in your search for a kilt maker

Kx
By Katie_x Comments: 748, member since Wed Aug 30, 2006
On Fri Jun 03, 2011 06:23 PM
I would just like to emphasise how strongly I disagree with the about comment. After having a very good quality outfit made in 2008 (despite the jacket having to be sent back 3 times due to it being badly fitting) a group of us went to get new outfits made last Summer.

We had problem after problem. We'd drive the 2 hours up to the appointments we had booked to be told that the jackets weren't ready, despite having spoken to the shop that morning. When we were actually fitted, the measurements were wrong, after specifically stating certain requirements. And to top it off, when we finally received the 'finished' garments (mine was never finished) not one of the 4 jackets actually fitted. It was an absolute shambles. I phoned four times one week to try and get in touch with them, always with a promise of a phone back, which I never received. I would never, ever even attempt to work with Piob Mhor again, and it is such a shame as they were previously so highly regarded.

My teacher is a fantastic kiltmaker, though she only makes kilts, and she is based in Edinburgh (if you'd like details let me know) and I would also reccommend Highland Dance Supplies. They are based in Dumfries but travel up to many competitions which is really handy. Quite a few pupils from my school have used them and I've never heard any bad reports.
By AMW_me Comments: 257, member since Sun May 18, 2008
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 01:05 PM
I have delt with Piob Mhor for more years than i actually want to say... Their stuff is fabulous and they make outfits for all over the world and i'm sure a few percentage of mishaps are understandable. I do feel for people who have had things happen but i think they are fabulous. My mum also makes all highland dancing outfits and she loves their work too...

I suppose it's an individual preference but i think Diane and the other staff are amazing at what they do and are extremely helpful.

Good luck in your choice and happy dancing.
By hilndmom Comments: 564, member since Sat May 01, 2004
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 09:33 AM
Gloria Weir - love Gloria's kilts and her jackets are gorgeous!
By zig Comments: 166, member since Thu Feb 05, 2009
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 AM
mcaleer highland gear in BC supplied may new dress blue ireland kilt, and I was very happy with the result, I would recommend them highly as a costume supplier.
By LilDancer17 Comments: 667, member since Thu Dec 04, 2008
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:33 AM
I am not sure if they still make kilts...but the 2 outfits that i have gotten USED have both been from Thomas Gordon and Son's(Scotland)...the outfits where beautiful and the workmanship fantastic...Also McAleer Highland gear has been fantastic to deal with as well..Mary-Elizabeth is great to work with(She is in BC)...
Good Luck
By Darya36 Comments: 62, member since Sat May 26, 2007
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 03:39 PM
Jeannie Christie (if she is still making them) in Largo, Florida. I can give you contact info if you like.
By dancer94 Comments: 189, member since Mon Jan 24, 2005
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 03:06 PM
Heather Fraser Inverness, she has made all my daughters kilts, they are beautiful :)
By kaytbones Comments: 243, member since Thu Jan 29, 2009
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 03:27 PM
I have ordered all my boys (and hubbies) kilts from Strathmore Mills in Scotland. They don't do "dance" kilts per say - mostly family tartans - but do have some dress tartans. They were great to deal with - very helpful- and quick - usually time they say is 6 weeks but on my last order for 3 full kilts for the older ones and 5 "kilties" for my younger grandsons they weren't too busy. I placed the order Feb. 23 and received them by courier in BC on March 16. Less than a month!

www.strathmorewoollen.co.uk
By UKHighlandDancer Comments: 47, member since Fri Jul 13, 2007
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 05:18 PM
Taylor Frank in Burntisland is by far my most recommended and favourite kilt maker. He is amazing and very quick too. I have always sent my measurements and then go for one fitting and then every time, the jacket and kilt has come back spot on.
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2112, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 06:05 PM
We have a Piob Mhor kilt, jacket and aboyne vest. Despite ordering from the other side of the world, the kilt and vest fit beautifully. I sent measurements by their email order form, then rang to confirm and query a couple of things. As we were travelling to Scotland, we made arrangements for a pick up and payment at the shop.

We had a bit of an issue with the jacket and I was a little cross because the problem was the sleeves being too full/wide for my daughter's go-go-gadget arms. This was the issue I had rung to discuss, but they had assured me I didn't need to do any additional arm girth measurements.

The one other problem was the jacket and vest not being ready for final fitting when they had said. As we had flown 12 000 miles and had a competition the next weekend (which they knew about) there was a bit of stress on my part. We had to travel to Blairgowrie twice and then had to wander about the village for a couple of hours the second time, waiting for the jacket to be ready. (We got it the day before the championship!)

However, the jacket is made beautifully and did fit very well. (DD has since become somewhat slimmer, so it's looking a little baggy at the moment. This isn't their fault!)

The kilt, which is what you are asking about, is gorgeous and PB were happy to work with our custom House of Tartan fabric. The fit is spot on, it looks fab on stage, and my daughter is happy dancing in it. And that's the bottom line for me.
By cocacolakid Comments: 64, member since Sat Mar 17, 2007
On Thu Jun 16, 2011 05:09 PM
my favourite: the lady at Creative Designs in ontario, canada. (www.creativedesigns2100.com) She made both of my nieces dance kilts, but wowed me with the kilts made for a family wedding. The honeymooners wore them in Scotland and got many compliments. (you should have seen the 2 yr old ring bearer's helper--so cute!)
By shakenturn Comments: 937, member since Sat Oct 08, 2005
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 09:51 PM
Piob Mhor of Blairgowrie!
By bagpacker Comments: 9, member since Wed Aug 15, 2007
On Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:17 PM
I have had a jacket made by Gloria in yhe past but I have lost my contact information.Can anyone help me to get in touch with her?
By swingingkiltsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1466, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Mon Jun 27, 2011 01:28 PM
MacIsaac Kiltmakers for kilts and jackets. Also, Gloria Jackets are outstanding. Linda's Kilts as well. Lots to choose from if you're in Canada. I would have to say for price wise and workmanship, it would be Linda's. Higher price at MacKilts but well worth it for a Premier dancer! Gotta love growth pleats.

ReplySendWatch