Forum: Arts / Photography - Artistic

Photography - Artistic
Is this the right camera to use?
By rr_lover Comments: 511, member since Sat Feb 02, 2008
On Fri Jun 03, 2011 05:27 PM

In July, i am going to the NKOTBSB Concert, and i wanna take my camera with me. And i'm not sure if this is would be the proper one to take with me, i'm in section 18 i believe Row 22 which SOUNDS far but its actually fairly close to the 60 dollar tickets up front.

I would appreciate if you all would give me some input. THNX!

Image hotlink - 'http://www.photographyblog.com/images/products/nikon_coolpix_l18_1.jpg'

1 Replies to Is this the right camera to use?

re: Is this the right camera to use?
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Fri Jun 03, 2011 05:43 PM
Well it has an f-2.8 lens which is pretty decent for a point and shoot camera. Read up on ISO if you are not familiar with it. It is the measure of sensor sensitivity (that used to be "film sensitivity" the higher the number the more sensitive the film is. A doubling of the number means twice the sensitivity e.g. ISO 400 is twice as sensitive as ISO 200.

Forget the flash...turn it off, it will be useless as the flashes on that kind of camera have a range of less than ten feet. All you would illuminate are the back of heads of the people seated right in front of you. It will have no effect on the stage.

Make sure you have a clear shot of the stage. The auto focus on these cameras tend to home in on the closest subject to them (remember the back of the heads of the people in front of you?)

Concert stages are usually rather brightly lit so available light should be OK if the film sensitivity is high enough. I'd go for ISO 400.

Of course with a digital camera you can get instant feed back on how you are doing. Have a memory chip with a lot of memory. And carry extra batteries depending on what kind of battery you use in that camera. That TV viewfinder which is on all the time is a major battery hog.

You'll probably want to use the maximum telephoto setting if you are 60 rows away.

Of course the ideal would be an SLR camera with a 300 or 400 mm telephoto. But of course the cost of that would be astronomic. Life is full of compormises.

Jon

ReplySendWatch