Priority For Sale

Forum: Highland / Highland - Teachers Only

Highland - Teachers Only
Highland dance schools in Portland, Oregon? en>fr fr>en
By Eilidhs_Mum Comments: 140, member since Sat Feb 21, 2009
On Fri Jun 03, 2011 09:09 PM

Hi there-

Can anyone tell me if there's any actual Highland Dance schools/studio in the Portland area? I've been searching online and only coming up with teacher's names...no schools or weblinks to such...a little concerned as my DD is a competitive dancer and we're contemplating a move to this area...she'd be devastated if one didn't exist.

If there is more than one school, can anyone tell me which one is the most reputable? If we had the choice, she'd like to dance at a competitive studio...

thanks in advance-

Lorna

3 Replies to Highland dance schools in Portland, Oregon?

re: Highland dance schools in Portland, Oregon? en>fr fr>en
By KSMom Comments: 856, member since Tue Jun 15, 2004
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 03:32 PM
Don't worry! This is a wonderful region of the country for competitive highland dancing - there's quite a few teachers in Portland, OR, as well as the Portland Highland Dance Association. There's also the Seattle Highland dance association, so if you're really ambitious, you can compete through both highland dance associations. That also doesn't even include the BC Canadians, who are a competitive bunch, and who come regularly to the highland games in this area.

For starters, I'm including the link to the Portland Highland Dance Association below.

The link to the Portland Highland Dance Association is:

phda.fusta.us

There's a teacher's list off of this website.

(To be continued in the next post) ...
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 03:44 PM
The link to the Seattle Highland Dance Association is:

shdaweb.org

Many competitive dancers belong to both associations, and their dates don't conflict, so you can do both, if you're willing to do a bit of driving on the weekend.
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 03:58 PM
... and then there's the summer games!

First weekend in June: Bellingham, WA (2 days competition)
4th Sat in June: Tacoma Highland Games, Graham, WA
OR: BC Highland Games, Vancouver BC (a championship)
2nd weekend in July: Skagit Valley highland games, Mt. Vernon, WA
3rd Sat. in July: Portland Highland Games, Gresham, OR
4th Sat & Sun in July: Pacific NW Highland Games, Enumclaw, B.C.
(for premiers, ALL 6-step long dances,including
nationals & jig)
1st Sat. in August: Spokane highland games
2nd Sat. in August: Whidbey Island Highland games
2nd Sat. in Sept (always the Saturday after Labor Day):
Kelso highland games, Kelso, WA

At several of these games, the Canadians come and compete. I also saw many of the Western Region USIR representatives also
come up and participate in these games.

I've only mentioned one games in British Columbia, Canada in this list. The Canadians are definitely a factor in this area, and they come down and compete regularly. You can also
go to their games (several in May, another in June, plus indoor, if you're so inclined).

I may not be a teacher (just a mom), but my daughter competed for 10 years in this area of the country, and I felt that she had very good opportunities in the Pacific Northwest as a highland dancer.

ReplySendWatch