Forum: Welcome

New to this Teaching Thing :)
By thatdancerchick
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:39 AM

Hi everyone! I've just started teaching ballet/tap combo classes for 3 & 4 year olds and 4-6 year olds at my studio. I'm currently assisting my own teacher with her classes, and once we start summer classes I'll be on my own. In the fall, I should be able to expand the age-range that I teach.

So yeah...Hi! I'm really excited for this opportunity to inspire these young dancers!

4 Replies to New to this Teaching Thing :)

re: New to this Teaching Thing :)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 02:49 PM
If you take a gander at the creative movement board, you'll see it's not as much that YOU inspire them, as it is that they are inspired to come up with new ways to test your sanity every week. :D

My best piece of advice, since I came by my classes alot the same way you came by yours - really make the classes your own. I was just doing my classes the same way everybody else was doing theirs, and it just flat wasn't fun for me. Just parrotting the same information over and over gets DULL. So when I actually took the time to think on it, and decide what I wanted different, and look for my own songs and all that, my classes got so much more entertaining! For me, and for my kids! :)
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 04:27 PM
Welcome and congrats on your new teaching position.

Yes, make the classes your own and make the classes always enjoyable, even when being firm with discipline (and always be firm).

Best wishes to you!
By dancingness
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 09:58 PM
Hi, I teach that age group too and at the start I was a little nervous but it's amazing how quickly you gain confidence. I'm new also, (this is only my second year teaching) and I agree with the other posters. Try to make the classes interesting, keep thinks moving, and have tricks up your sleeve incase the kids start running amok. Try to be firm and fun...it's a tough balalnce but you will love the challenge. Good luck!!
By thatdancerchick
On Wed Jun 15, 2011 07:57 AM
Thanks for all the tips everyone! I'll definitely apply them. :)

ReplySendWatch