Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Do your wear underwear under your tights?
By kathyheartballet
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 06:25 PM

I was just a little curious about this because when I was 9, my ballet teacher told me that dancers shouldn't wear underwear underneath their tights because it's unprofessional. The principal of our school also tells us not to wear underwear. However, two of my best friends wear underwear under their tights and they said it's gross to not wear underwear. So I'm just curious on what other people say. I'm not trying to be nosy, and you don't have to reply if you don't want to.

25 Replies to Do your wear underwear under your tights?

re: Do your wear underwear under your tights?
By Leigha_Ballerina
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 06:49 PM
No I never do.

I was also told as a young girl that it was not the done thing and I have never had a need to, the ballet school I went to was rather strict on this.

I have also been told that it can cause yeast infections having to many layers.
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 06:58 PM
I only wear it during "cycle time" or if I'm wearing a unitard.

I was never taught that tights are not professional, but the line is much prettier without underwear.
By ChristinePremium member
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 07:38 PM
Tights ARE underwear.

Keep On Dancing*

Comment #9591243 deleted
Removed by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-06-04 22:01:08 not a relevant comment to the thread

By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 08:59 PM
Nope. It's not done and looks horrendous. Tights have a cotton lining for this very reason.
By luv2plie
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 09:24 PM
For guys we will wear a dance belt under our tights!

Kev

Comment #9591311 deleted
Removed by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-06-04 22:01:46 double post

By Sumayah
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:05 PM
^ For men that's essential due to dress code differences. With women, absolutely no underwear under your tights.
By hummingbird
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:14 PM
How many layers do you need down there :) ?

For a guy, yes they need a belt, but girls, too many layers of nylon=yeast infections quicker than you can say Jack Robinson.
By Reesienpointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:45 PM
Um, I've been wearing undies beneath my tights for years and never have I once gotten a yeast infection. Some tights don't have that lining either. And if I wear panties then that means I don't have to wash my tights EVERY time I wear them (unless I work up a horrible sweat) which makes my tights last longer. But I also pick ones that don't show through either, the no-lines kind. You can't tell that I have them on.

I don't see anything wrong with it either way though. If you're comfortable with none then go for it. But if you'd rather have them and wear the kind that won't show then why not?
By flyingwind66member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:28 PM
all the layers makes me uncomfortable, I prefer not to and yeah, some tights don't have the cotton lining. I'll wear underwear during cycle times too.

The thing about yeast infections is that once you've had one, you become prone to them. A large percentage of women will have a yeast infection in their life and about 60% of them will have another within 6 months of the first.

When you are older and have experienced that dreaded itch, you'll try your ever loving darn-est to never EVER create an environment to have one happen.
By ex_gang_girl
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 06:26 AM
I've been told not to wear anything underneath my tights, so I go commando in my ballet classes.
By Petit
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 07:47 AM
No, my teacher never let me wear underwear under my tights. And in fact this is more comforteble for me, I don't like many layers.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:45 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it either way though. If you're comfortable with none then go for it. But if you'd rather have them and wear the kind that won't show then why not?

If I can't see them, then I don't mind because I wouldn't know. However, many times students will think that the underwear can't be seen, but in reality it can. Especially because ballet has so much movement, it may not be seen while you're standing, but is visible when you're bending forward, back, or lifting your leg. For this reason, no-undies-under-tights was standard for all the students where I learned dance. In fact, you avoided wearing undies because it had a bit of a connotation of meaning you were young or inexperienced.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:42 AM
It's noticeable whether you think it is or not, honestly. Extra layers = more warmth = more sweat = warm moist environment for all kinds of nasty.

And who doesn't wash their tights every time they wear them?!?! What the hell? My tights get horribly sweaty after every class, not to mention dirty from passes, coupes etc. Blech. Just like with a wet bathing suit, you should change as soon as possible after class. In fact, consider tights and a leotard like a bathing suit... no undies!

In fact, you avoided wearing undies because it had a bit of a connotation of meaning you were young or inexperienced.

QFT. I think it looks like they're wearing diapers, lol.

For performances where you need to do quick changes some of the girls would wear body stockings or nude leotards so that no one could see their unmentionables. I've heard of ladies wearing thongs but that'd still be seen in the front, so idk.
By Reesienpointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 05:20 PM
Mmm. I'm sorry but I wear the no lines kind and no one notices, not even my teachers. Almost everyone in my studio wears them in fact and it's not like they look like they have big bloomers underneath their costumes! Unless the underwear is actually SHOWING, like sticking out past the line of a leotard then it's hard to see any difference. I will post a pic to prove it if I have to!

And my tights don't get nearly as wet as a bathing suit after class. Our studio is kept super cool and I just don't sweat there that much. The floors are kept impeccably clean too, you'd be surprised how clean the bottom of our shoes stay. I rarely get marks on my tights from my shoes. I wash them every other time and can promise you I have never gone to class with nasty smelling tights because I check them before I put them on!
By lovestodance989
On Tue Jun 14, 2011 08:02 PM
No, I don't it gets too hot lol :)
I like this poll :D
By Old_Ballet_Dude
On Wed Jun 15, 2011 01:42 PM
Typically a guy will wear a dance belt under his tights. Girls and women generally will not wear anything under their tights.
By mileseez135
On Wed Jun 15, 2011 08:59 PM
Thong underwear is a good solution, in my opinion.
By MissHavisham
On Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 PM
When I was younger and danced, I always wore underwear with my leo. When I went back as an adult, I took one class with underwear under my leo, and vowed to never wear them again. It was too many layers, not to mention, every time I lifted my leg there they were peeking out from my leo- and thongs were worse - riding up with every movement, soooo uncomfortable! Now, I see why you're not supposed to wear undies- it's so much more professional and clean looking, plus, they really aren't needed, as both dance tights, and leotards have cotton lining in the crotch.
By mileseez135
On Thu Jun 16, 2011 06:06 AM
The point of thong underwear IS to ride up! :) If you're used to wearing a thong, you can't even notice when dancing.
By nainai96
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 05:44 PM
Victorias secret sells these amazing seamless thongs with the silicone sticky strip to stop it from riding up that I wear because tights always chafe me
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 05:52 PM
No, it is way too many layers.

Even if you do wear undies under your tights, you need to wash them after every wearing or you get athletes foot- I learned that one the hard way!
By NikoleOnPointex3
On Sat Jun 18, 2011 01:28 PM
No, Its very uncomfortible for me to have underwear on, even a bra I used to be so embarresed to not wear a bra but my school makes us and Ive gotten over it. My ballet teacher teaches us that ballet is not comfortible you must embrace the uncomfortible feelings because thats how it is in the Ballet world.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch