Forum: General / Ballroom / Salsa

Salsa
The best of the best - we need a teacher!
By exa Comments: 1, member since Mon Jun 06, 2011
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 07:16 AM
Edited by exa (236702) on 2011-06-06 07:50:56 clearer title

Hello all,

I am writing on behalf of a friend who wishes to compete professionally in ballroom - but most specifically Salsa.
He has previous training is dance and is now looking for a world (or at least nationally) renowned instructor for himself and his partner.

Does anyone know who THE BEST salsa teachers would be in London, England?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
-EA

4 Replies to The best of the best - we need a teacher!

re: The best of the best - we need a teacher!
By barrefly Comments: 682, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Wed Jun 08, 2011 06:22 PM
EA, Salsa is not really considered ballroom. My daughter is a 17 year old, almost pro. salsa dancer that is also trained in international latin and ballroom. (and a bunch of other dances.)
If your friend has any specific questions, feel free to P.M. me. I can help her pick a decent instructor based on her location.

Here's a clip of my daughter.
www.youtube.com . . .
By Vibrations Comments: 101, member since Mon Jun 27, 2011
On Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 PM
Your daughter is an amazing Salsa dancer, barrefly! As important as it is to have the right partner (no matter how good YOU are), your daughter and her partner beautifully compliment each other. Thanks ever so for sharing that video, I truly enjoyed it (I wanted it to be longer lol).
By barrefly Comments: 682, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Thu Jun 30, 2011 02:15 PM
Edited by barrefly (90848) on 2011-06-30 14:17:43
Edited by barrefly (90848) on 2011-06-30 14:27:34
Vibrations wrote:

Your daughter is an amazing Salsa dancer, barrefly! As important as it is to have the right partner (no matter how good YOU are), your daughter and her partner beautifully compliment each other. Thanks ever so for sharing that video, I truly enjoyed it (I wanted it to be longer lol).

I just posted on another thread, where you offered some great advice. I am honored that you have responded to my post, on this thread. Thank you.

A career in dance is much more than just the dancing. There are so many choices, and most of the talented dancers that I have met,...are not trained/educated in making the right choices. (Such as choosing the right partner). Steve is a good partner for her in salsa, but Missy is a very diverse dancer, and needs a partner that compliments her fully. On top of that, Missy has to figure out what type of dancer she is.

I have managed my daughter's dancing for many years, but she is becoming out of my hands. All I can do now is have discussions with her. Currently, she is in intensive training for next seasons SYTYCD. I am happy she has found a sponsor, but I am not in total agreement with his program. Missy needs to be just as strong in her jazz/contemporary, and hiphop if she expects to make it, and last, on the show. She was a "jazz" comp dancer (and a great one at that) until she was about 13, and switched to partnered dancing. She is going to need at least 6 months of intensive training to bring her up to snuff. I hope her sponsor understands this.

Oh well. Once a stage dad, always a stage dad.
By Vibrations Comments: 101, member since Mon Jun 27, 2011
On Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:13 AM
Thanks ever so for the compliment, barrefly :)

If you have reservations about this new program, perhaps you can discuss it with Missy, if you haven't already (which you probably have). I understand about it being out of your hands with only discussions now. I'm at the same stage with my daughter. But I always voice all my concerns and opinions in regards to her dance career. Then I leave it up to her to either consider those opinions or not. There's not much I can do about that now. But as a dancer myself, I understand that it is she who has to make those decisions ultimately, though sometimes I give her advice, she doesn't take it, and then becomes irritated with herself for having made the "wrong" choice.

ReplySendWatch