Forum: Music / Music & Songs

Will this song be overused at comp?
By dancingstar210
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 07:44 PM
Bumped by Theresa (28613) on 2011-08-30 09:04:37

As I was on my nightly bike ride, Lady GaGa's Born This Way song started to play on my Ipod. I started envisioning choreography for one of my soloists, and I think this would be perfect for her. But I have one worry-- will this song be over-used at competitions next year? What do you Think?

12 Replies to Will this song be overused at comp?

re: Will this song be overused at comp?
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 08:21 PM
Edited by snot85 (133910) on 2011-06-06 20:21:43
YES. I suspect this and anything by Florence and the Machine are going to be overused during the next season.

And since Gaga just ripped off Madonna anyway, why not use "Express Yourself" instead?
By StudioSally
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:07 PM
I think that it is very likely that it will be used alot next year. If you really like the song, you can take Snot85's suggestion and mix the madonna song and this song. That way, even if it is used at competitions, you would have your own spin on it and it would be different from everyone else's. Just a thought.
By ShadowArabesquer
On Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:36 PM
I would say YES! But honestly, if you love it go for it! I had my girls do our final performance to it and it was a major crowd pleaser! I recommend it; very fun to dance to! :)
By imadanseurPremium member
On Thu Jun 23, 2011 02:27 PM
Speaking from a judges point of view...FIND SOMETHING ELSE! You don't want them comparing it to another group that danced the heck out of the song, and you don't want them thinking, "Do I really have to hear this song again?"
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu Jun 23, 2011 02:39 PM
^ I second that. While I haven't judged, my fiance has, and he said the worst thing to experience (after once studio doing 50 sub-par dances instead of 5 brilliant dances) was a billion dances to the same song. I really think ANYTHING of Lady Gaga's will be overused, especially something on her most recent album. There are SO MANY good songs out there, there's no reason you shouldn't find something that won't make the judges cringe.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:10 AM
It will probably be heard AT LEAST 20 times at a comp.
By dancingstar210
On Sat Jul 16, 2011 09:53 PM
thanks for your thoughts, i am in search for something else for her. i dont normally use radio songs to begin with, but i could just invision this one.
By Teaberry
On Sat Jul 30, 2011 08:29 PM
This song will absolutely be overused in 2012.
By mmpartee
On Tue Aug 02, 2011 08:06 AM
I completely agree with AlwaysOnStage- why use something that everyone else will be using, when there are millions of great songs out there?

But if you are going to use something this popular, at least use a version with a different spin to it. Born This Way already has several covers, and this is an excellent one: itunes.apple.com . . .

~Morriss Partee
Squirrel Trench Audio
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 AM
To be honest, the judges will not appreciate it! Similar to "Jar of Hearts", anything on the radio is just overplayed.

Check out these artists:
Crystal Waters
Tiffany
Madonna
:)
By Miss_D
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 01:27 PM
I think it will be over used for solos.
Who cares, it's a great song.
By meggie1bussell
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:00 PM
You never know, other people may think the same so won't use it. I think anything by Adele will be overused, she's drving me crazy at the moment.

ReplySendWatch