Poll: Advice / Girls & Guys

What is a more impersonal way of saying happy birthday? Facebook wall post, or happy birthday text?
By Spiorad
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:45 PM

Just something that my friends and I got to talking about today :)

I can't really comment though because I'm the .0000000000001% of the population that doesn't have a facebook haha. But even so of the two I think text messaging would be more impersonal.

A lot of my friends said they didn't feel like they always had to respond to texts but that they would respond to happy birthday wall posts. Or at the very least put up a mass thank you.

So what do you all think?

19 Replies to What is a more impersonal way of saying happy birthday? Facebook wall post, or happy birthday text?

re: What is a more impersonal way of saying happy birthday? Facebook wall post, or happy birthday te
By onegirlbandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:52 PM
I think Facebook is more impersonal. It tells you who is having a birthday, so you don't even have to remember. With a text, at least you remembered your friend's birthday all on your own. Maybe cell phones do tell you your friends' birthdays?? I have an old phone...
re: What is a more impersonal way of saying happy birthday? Facebook wall post, or happy birthday te
By punkgirl59
On Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 AM
^ Totally agree. Facebook seems way more impersonal. It tells you who's having a birthday that day, so when I see birthday posts I feel like it's more, "Oh, I happened to be on Facebook anyway because that's what I do all day, and happened to see it was your birthday, so happy birthday."

At least with a text, it seems like you remembered on your own and made an effort to personally contact them, rather than just do it in passing while you were already on Facebook.

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 08, 2011 01:55 AM
Yep, Facebook, because it tells you who is having a birthday that day. There are soooo many people who I say happy birthday too, who I wouldn't even have realised it was their birthday if Facebook hadn't told me, lol. At least with texting, you have to know it's the person's birthday in order to do it.
By Spiorad
On Wed Jun 08, 2011 06:53 AM
See I didn't know that facebook told you everyone's birthday! That does make a difference. I'm changing my opinion than to facebook. :) haha
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 08, 2011 07:10 AM
I do both! It's actually a running gag with my friends - we text first, and then we write on the birthday girl's wall. The text will be personal - "hope you enjoy x activity today, can't wait for x activity to celebrate with you". Then the wall post will say "I know I've already text you but I don't want to look like a crap friend by not posting on your wall. So Happy Public Birthday!" or something like that.

I am totally not the sort of person to pick up the phone for a chat. I will call you if I need to speak to you; I'm not going to call you just to chat about the weather and I'd rather you didn't call me to do so. I'd never phone someone and say happy birthday - family maybe, friends no. I also don't send cards - if I'm seeing the person to celebrate their birthday, I'll take a card and gift with me. But otherwise I don't. Luckily all my friends are pretty much the same - I can count on one hand the amount of times I've spoken on the phone with my friends. Normally when I'm wandering around a shopping centre or train station and can't find them 'cause I haven't got my glasses on.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Wed Jun 08, 2011 07:11 AM
Meh...I don't really have an opinion...

But then again, I'm one of those people who will text/post on Facebook at midnight (provided I'm still awake), say it when I see you...and if I haven't yet posted on Facebook I do so to make it official (yes, I'm one of those people who believes in the whole "Facebook Official" thing).

Also, I have a lot of friends on Facebook that I don't necessarily have the numbers of because I'm not super close to them etc. So Facebook is the best way to say it, and I generally add a personal message as well.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 08, 2011 07:19 AM
^ That's a good point, I often write on the walls of people I went to school with to say happy birthday. I wouldn't have their number as I haven't seen them in years, but I'd still send them a greeting. When it's my birthday I genuinely don't care how people get in touch - I'm just flattered they took time out of their day to say something. I was truly touched by the amount of happy birthday messages I got on fb last year.
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 08, 2011 04:18 PM
I'd say Facebook also. And a lot because of the reason that it doesn't always have much to do with memory because it tells you whose birthday it is. And I find it's only my close friends who text me happy birthday but on Facebook I get EVERYBODY saying happy birthday...even people that I went to school with and never see anymore or people I never even got along with in high school.

So I'd definitely say Facebook. And it's more personal if you even have that person's cell number (in some cases). Only my friends have my number.
By Tansey
On Wed Jun 08, 2011 05:19 PM
Facebook is more impersonal. You get birthday greetings from people you went to 8th grade with. I only get texts from people know know me well enough to have my cell number.
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 09, 2011 06:54 AM
I have a friend who doesn't even bother to write out "Happy Birthday" on someone's wall. He just writes "HBD". Why bother? :?
By maureensiobhan
On Fri Jun 10, 2011 08:27 AM
I have to say that I think both Facebook and a happy birthday text are very cold and impersonal. It really makes you appear that you couldn't be bothered to put any thought and consideration into remembering that person's birthday. If you call the other person to say happy birthday or send him/her a card or letter, I think it shows that you've put some genuine thought and consideration into remembering his/her birthday.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 10, 2011 09:54 AM
^Disagree. I love getting "happy birthday" posts on my Facebook wall, and I love "happy birthday" texts even more. Yes, I understand that FB reminded you that it was my birthday, but you still took time out of your day to think of me and wish me well, and I appreciate that. Of course, I would also love a phone call, card, or letter, but sometimes it's even more fun to open up Facebook and see your wall flooded with birthday wishes or to have your phone buzz throughout the day with birthday texts. It's just nice to be thought of. Either that or I have really low standards. :P

Also, the title of this post cracks me up. It makes it sound like you're begrudgingly wishing a happy birthday to someone you don't like and want to make sure that you do it in the most impersonal way possible. Like, "Okay, I GUESS I'll wish you a happy birthday, but I want to make sure you know that I don't really care!"
By Spiorad
On Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 AM
^ Yeah, I like how it feels when my phone buzzes with well wishers :)

haha I see how it could have come off that way, though originally I hadn't thought of that! But hey, now if I ever need it now I know! lol ;)
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:53 PM
Arak wrote:

I have a friend who doesn't even bother to write out "Happy Birthday" on someone's wall. He just writes "HBD". Why bother? :?

I at least put some effort into it. lol Depending on who it is. Some people I just say "Happy birthday! I hope you have/had a great day." and others I'll make it even more personal by using a nickname only between us and a few others or adding personal memories of the two of us or whatever.

I went to Europe through a school trip and we hooked up with a group from another province and I only have one of the girls' cell number but otherwise the only way to say happy birthday is through Facebook and same with some cousins and whatnot. I definitely make it a point to say happy birthday to some people and other people I don't bother with at all.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 12, 2011 04:19 AM
I didn't vote because it depends what you write. A "happy bday" text and a "happy bday" wall post are much the same. However a text or fb post with a nice little story/joke like e.g "Happy 17th, you're finally a legal witch," (if they're a HP nerd) is even nicer through text or fb because it shows you took the time to write something original.

However, my bday last year was my first bday with fb. And I didn't care what was written on my wall or the fact it reminded them, I still found every message sweet even though it may only have taken a few seconds to post :)
By lovedanse
On Wed Jul 20, 2011 07:35 PM
I think facebook is more impersonal because you don't even have to remember the date... I mean it says right on your homepage "Its these peoples birthdays!" To send a text you have to remember when the person's birthday is.
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 22, 2011 04:00 AM
Texts are more personal, but nothing like a birthday card or a phone call, even. What ever happened to all that?

peace out
sh'naynay
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 22, 2011 05:04 AM
Arak wrote:

Hehe, I work in a hospital and when HBD shows up, it means Has Been Drinking. If someone wrote HBD on my wall, I would not even make the birthday connection, but wonder why I needed to know they are drunk :P

Anyway, yeah, I think facebook is more impersonal. I will say Happy Birthday on facebook to people I haven't spoken with in decades, but I would only text friends.

Comment #10244494 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2017-01-26 09:15:24 Spam

ReplySendWatch