Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Gift giving advice?
By irene40000
On Thu Jun 09, 2011 06:34 PM

I have been going out with my boyfriend for about a month now and his birthday is coming up within the next month. I don't know what to get him. He is in the U.S. navy and about to be deployed on a submarine so I want to get him something that he can take with him that is heartfelt and will remind him of me. I thought about making him a blanket or something like that but I wanted to do more. Any ideas?

4 Replies to Gift giving advice?

re: Gift giving advice?
By ChristinePremium member
On Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:00 PM
My dad was on a submarine when he was in the navy and although it was long ago, it was CRAMPED QUARTERS! In fact, they shared bunks. When one person got up, another got in.

I don't know what I'd suggest for a gift. A new wallet with pictures of you inside, might be nice. Or a bible?

I wish I could be more help, but I just wanted to be sure you knew space was limited before you invested lots of time and love in something he won't have room for.

Best wishes to you both
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 AM
maybe a little scrapbook? do you already have a few pictures of the two of you?
Maybe you put together a little collection of favourite drinks, concert card, cinema ticket etc. from you time together mix it up with a few quotes or insiders you two have.
Nothing to big, or to obvious, since the space will be limited.
My exboyfriend also refused to take a scarf or something else with him to German armed forces (I offered since I like to have a t-shirt in my bed when we were apart). Mocking each other about missing the girlfriend was a big topic so everybody there just had photos in their wallets or a little scrapbook, easy to hide, to save themselves.
I don't know if that would be a topic for you boyfriend, just wanted to mention it.
By Trout
On Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:42 AM
I would be wary of giving him anything to take with. You two have only been dating for a month and he's not going to be able to take much, let alone sentimental things.

If you are really set on giving him something to take, I definitely wouldn't do a blanket. They probably have that stuff already supplied, and I could see him getting teased for sleeping under a blanket from his brand new girlfriend. I'm not saying that to be mean, it just seems like a gift that's "too soon," if that makes sense.

I would reconsider getting him something to take with. It's a really nice thought, but I think a month isn't long enough to be dating someone to do that.

Maybe just a small picture with something written on the back, he could keep it in his things or his pocket or whatever. I'm not sure if he would be able to use a wallet on a submarine.
By DaDancingPsych
On Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:11 PM
I like the nice picture of the two of you. It's early on in the relationship, so I would keep things light. If they are allowed care packages, that would be nice, but I would look into it.

ReplySendWatch